Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

92079-3129778672.jpg
92079-919152494.jpg
92079-4888379588.jpg
92079-2948698160.jpg
92079-2385959770.jpg
92079-4305579700.jpg
I own a 1 1/2yo male beardie that is currently not eating food, only treats which I rarely feed him. He has had pinworms before (Jan 2020) and was treated for them. He has not shed since around October 2019..I do occasionally force feed him Repashy beardie buffet and greens, but he spits out greens. He has bowel movements every 1-2 days, but they’re very small, as one could assume. He doesn’t drink from a bowl so I syringe him water twice weekly, if not more. Besides that he is very active and I take him outside almost everyday. His terrarium is 2x5x2. His has a 100watt mercury vapor bulb for his basking spot, which is usually around 101 degrees. Cool side of the tank is usually around 84F. He has a 46” reptisun 10.0 t5ho uvb bulb, which i do need to lower. His tank is very bare because of vet recommendation when he has parasites. Weight 466g. Recently I’ve noticed on his hands and feet that they appear to be dry/worn, and I wonder if taking him outside on the pavement/rocks everyday is wearing down the scales. I’m sorry this is a lot, but any help is greatly appreciated!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your T5 is how many inches from basking decor? It should not be more than 15 inches--- how old is the mercury vapor bulb and what brand is it? And yes I would say that is the reason for the abrasions etc on his feet --- I would keep him off the rocks concrete and just on the grass --- I would also look at getting him a piece of decor that sits under the basking light that would offer a nice gradient heat for him -- it would give him the options of different temps --- some thing like a good piece of wood decor from either outside or something from Petsmart like this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 this would be an example and you can lay it different ways for them to use ---
Karrie

Cynesta

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2yqgk1ds said:
Your T5 is how many inches from basking decor? It should not be more than 15 inches--- how old is the mercury vapor bulb and what brand is it? And yes I would say that is the reason for the abrasions etc on his feet --- I would keep him off the rocks concrete and just on the grass --- I would also look at getting him a piece of decor that sits under the basking light that would offer a nice gradient heat for him -- it would give him the options of different temps --- some thing like a good piece of wood decor from either outside or something from Petsmart like this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5290971 this would be an example and you can lay it different ways for them to use ---
Karrie

God... it’s 26” from the ground and 21” from the log. I’ve been asking my dad to lower the light for a long time, but he hasn’t. I have no idea how to lower the light.. right now it’s in place with brackets i think.. I’ve been planning on making a rock formation for him to climb on, but I don’t know where to get foam. I’ve also been struggling to figure out where to find wide enough branches he can sit on. The basking light is Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor Bulb - 100 Watts (120V) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQG6DRI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_yDfUEbH7SPJER . I also ordered another reptisun uvb. I’ve never tried incandescents/halogens as I have no idea how powerful they are. Do you have any recommendations for a basking bulb 11” from the basking site in a wooden enclosure? Also, he always seems to want to get out of his enclosure, very often scratching on the glass to get out. Is this due to the lights? Thank you so much, Amanda

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Use these to lower the UVB 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties potted plant wire hangers fishing line or shoe laces --- what are you using for the basking dome? You can use that as well but it needs to be lowered and if that bulb is over a year or if its a T 8 that would be 6 months--- how big is the tank ? And yes scratching at the glass means they want out--- I am not savvy on those all in one bulbs but since you have the T 5 I would ditch the all in one and go w/ a regular bright white basking bulb--- you can get the Exo Terra ones and I would start w/ the 100 watt but you need a digital probe thermometer for a actual basking temp -- you do have one of those correct -- him scratching at the glass is he getting any kind of black beard ? that would be distress --- you need to know what your basking temps are and I would not put up a permanent shelf thing in the tank they are too hard to keep temps and if you need to move it or replace it etc you cant! I have had more people get in trouble doing those and then not being able to get the UVB or basking temps correct w/ them and then you cant move them etc............. Its best to use decor that is easily moved like your UVB now it needs to be moved or lowered then get a piece of decor and set directly under it not to mention cleaning it --- all my decor pieces are movable and easy to clean -- my light fixtures stay in place -- I move the decor if I haft to
Karrie

Cynesta

Original Poster
KarrieRee":17ypitb1 said:
Use these to lower the UVB 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties potted plant wire hangers fishing line or shoe laces --- what are you using for the basking dome? You can use that as well but it needs to be lowered and if that bulb is over a year or if its a T 8 that would be 6 months--- how big is the tank ? And yes scratching at the glass means they want out--- I am not savvy on those all in one bulbs but since you have the T 5 I would ditch the all in one and go w/ a regular bright white basking bulb--- you can get the Exo Terra ones and I would start w/ the 100 watt but you need a digital probe thermometer for a actual basking temp -- you do have one of those correct -- him scratching at the glass is he getting any kind of black beard ? that would be distress --- you need to know what your basking temps are and I would not put up a permanent shelf thing in the tank they are too hard to keep temps and if you need to move it or replace it etc you cant! I have had more people get in trouble doing those and then not being able to get the UVB or basking temps correct w/ them and then you cant move them etc............. Its best to use decor that is easily moved like your UVB now it needs to be moved or lowered then get a piece of decor and set directly under it not to mention cleaning it --- all my decor pieces are movable and easy to clean -- my light fixtures stay in place -- I move the decor if I haft to
Karrie

The uvb is reaching the 1yr mark, and for the dome, I’m not all too sure what brand it is. It says 150watts max type A lamp. About the scratching, he does not show signs of stress when he does this, so I was never too worried about it. About branches, if I get some outside, how can I disinfect them? Baking? Diluted bleach? Also, about force feeding, I’ve been doing one bite of greens daily and repashy sometimes. Should I be doing this? His appetite went down during the winter and he became much less active, but he didn’t exactly go into a full brumation. Another add on strangely he started head bobbing today, which he has never done. I’m lowering the light today and ordering a new basking bulb. Thank you so much! I haven’t been too great for a while and haven’t kept up on these things, but i’m improving and appreciate your help lots!! Amanda

EDIT: Would this bulb be suitable? Exo Terra Sun-Glo Basking Spot Lamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AR3O4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y.gUEbGVHA1PG
About recording temps, I have a heat gun I use on the basking site.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sorry I meant what the dome was being used to hang from --- should of clarified that -- the basking bulb is fine --- replace the UVB bulb now --- once you get his UVB situated I am hoping he will start eating -- those bulbs are crucial to their over all health and that included keeping parasites away -- proper temps and basking temps help them control those parasites -- head bobbing is a sign of mating he is showing dominance -- arm waving is a sign of submission -- about branches outside I am not sure how you would disinfect those I know people bake wood and such to kill what ever is in the wood but they are hard to keep clean - as for branches I am not savvy on those -- I would PM AHBD or claudiusx and ask them they would know -- what are you feeding your dragon---??? the whole diet tell me what your feeding him? I just thought of something your fixture can stay there where it is I want you to order a Arcadia 14% bulb -- your tank has the height that will allow that bulb --- that bulb has to have a height of 24" and it should work in that tank --- how long is your fixture?
Karrie

Cynesta

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3e1srcaf said:
Sorry I meant what the dome was being used to hang from --- should of clarified that -- the basking bulb is fine --- replace the UVB bulb now --- once you get his UVB situated I am hoping he will start eating -- those bulbs are crucial to their over all health and that included keeping parasites away -- proper temps and basking temps help them control those parasites -- head bobbing is a sign of mating he is showing dominance -- arm waving is a sign of submission -- about branches outside I am not sure how you would disinfect those I know people bake wood and such to kill what ever is in the wood but they are hard to keep clean - as for branches I am not savvy on those -- I would PM AHBD or claudiusx and ask them they would know -- what are you feeding your dragon---??? the whole diet tell me what your feeding him? I just thought of something your fixture can stay there where it is I want you to order a Arcadia 14% bulb -- your tank has the height that will allow that bulb --- that bulb has to have a height of 24" and it should work in that tank --- how long is your fixture?
Karrie

The dome is hung from wires (which my dad did) I will replace the uvb once it comes in (reptisun 10.0 t5ho 46”) Are there any Arcadias that are 46”? I am currently force feeding him collard/mustard greens, dubias sometimes, but all he’ll take is superworms, which I try to feed as minimally as possible. I would usually feed collards, mustard, turnip, butternut squash, yellow squash, bell pepper, carrot, and fruit as a treat. Thank you lots, Amanda

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/3168-14-uvb-t5-bulb-46-arcadia.html
How big is the tank ? You dont want a fixture the same length of the tank ---- he needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays w / out hiding from them-- fixture should only be 2/3 of the tank or half

You were asking about outside branches etc
No pine or sappy wood, put branches in preheated 250 oven for 40 minutes to kill possible pests .
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How long has he not been eating ? I think that once you get his lights changed he'll regain his appetite. They can go on little hunger strikes for a number of reasons, not usually serious at all in a healthy adult dragon so don't be too worried. You could of course, have a fecal test done again. What meds. was he on before and for how long ? And to help his feet, maybe put down a few layers of newspaper on top of the tile. Tile itself is somewhat unnatural for beardies but everyone uses it now. I prefer linoleum, non adhesive shelf liner or newspaper. I have one huge tank that has a mix of sand/soil sort of as a playground for my dragons besides their regular tanks and also outdoor cages in the grass.

Cynesta

Original Poster
KarrieRee":p2gsvsiv said:
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/3168-14-uvb-t5-bulb-46-arcadia.html
How big is the tank ? You dont want a fixture the same length of the tank ---- he needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays w / out hiding from them-- fixture should only be 2/3 of the tank or half

You were asking about outside branches etc
No pine or sappy wood, put branches in preheated 250 oven for 40 minutes to kill possible pests .
Karrie

The tank is 5’l x 2’w x 26”h. I will order a shorter fixture and bulb. Would 34” be fine? or around the 3 ft range? I am planning on lowering the light 5”, so what uv % would you recommend? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!! Amanda

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector w/ the 14% bulb --- then you can attach to the top of the tank where it is now- a 14 % bulb needs 24" for exposure - so w/ a piece of basking decor its gonna be about the correct height -- your tank is high enough for the 14 % Arcadia bulb --- it will need to be replaced once a year I recommend about a month before - so make sure you mark your calendar when you install it --- those 14% bulbs are strong so make sure your not lowering the fixture other wise it will be too strong -- you can always move decor piece easier than the fixture --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree, the lighting adjustments once they are made, should make all the
difference in the world.
The distance for the tube bulb now is definitely way too far for him to get much benefit out
of it. He looks to be of good physical condition in the picture & of a nice weight, too.
As suggested, the distance shouldn't be any closer than 10-12 inches if you mount it under
neath of the screen & it's a T5.
You can try some bee pollen to help some with his appetite. Most of them like the flavor of
it, also.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Cynesta

Original Poster
KarrieRee":vbwgbhn5 said:
I would get a 24" fixture w/ a reflector w/ the 14% bulb --- then you can attach to the top of the tank where it is now- a 14 % bulb needs 24" for exposure - so w/ a piece of basking decor its gonna be about the correct height -- your tank is high enough for the 14 % Arcadia bulb --- it will need to be replaced once a year I recommend about a month before - so make sure you mark your calendar when you install it --- those 14% bulbs are strong so make sure your not lowering the fixture other wise it will be too strong -- you can always move decor piece easier than the fixture --
Karrie

I only found a 22” 14% Arcadia https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/3166-14-uvb-t5-bulb-22-arcadia.html . The next one up is 34”. I could not find a reflector/fixture for the 22” t5 bulb. Could you possibly send me the link for exact items I should get? Or what about the 12% desert Arcadia? Could I do that and lower the bulb? Also, with basking bulbs, I’m getting caught up in specific brands and don’t know which one to choose. Is any one brand better than the other? If so, could you send some specific bulb links? I’m really sorry for all of this trouble. Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom