Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
She is!! :) after i woke her she came to the front to say hello

Im on my way home from work to check on her and do her meds. I spoke with the vet on and we agreed that we can reduce the flagyl to once a day, as this should be effective enough. I plan to give it with the Baytril in the evening.

I've also picked up some milk thistle supplement, though i could only find it in capsules (with powder in them) so I'll give Tracie a DM tonight to ask how i can best give this

Hope these little tweaks will ease some of the stress for her !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope she is doing well!
Just let me know what the strength of the powder/capsules is & I can help with dosing for
you.
At least she is pretty active right now & alert which is a great sign! Let us know how she is
doing.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Update today

Been a few days since we reduced flagyl to once a day. I've been at work but i noticed some dried fluid (brownish, not clear) at the bottom of the enclosure. It doesnt look like undigested food. I have noticed though she's been a bit nauseous but i suspect it could be runny stool.

She did a runny poo this morning, but she also brought up a little bit of the food/medicine I gave her while I was giving it (admittedly she does like to hold it in her throat pouch sometimes, and she did try to abruptly climb me so it could just have been a one off of her being silly im not sure.)

The poo was wet but urate was actually a normal color. Her mucous membranes also seem a normal color too. So if she is vomiting I think it's maybe just from the medicine..?

She's not really drinking at the moment though and shes in full shed. I'm giving her extra fluid via syringe but i think i might take her in the vet today for a bit of extra fluid therapy. I think it may help. Fingers crossed!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for the update, I was wondering how she is doing. It seems like she's still doing reasonably well. She might be holding a bit of meds. in her mouth or throat and dumping it out later.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really great to hear she is doing pretty well, bless her! I have been thinking about
you both, hoping she was getting some rest.
The meds are probably getting to her a little bit. I forgot, do you have her on probiotics, too?

Tracie

Mack92011

Hey, there!

I ended up reading this thread from beginning to end and just felt compelled to tell you how sorry I am that you and Taro have had to go through all of this! What a roller coaster. I can't offer advice like the others can, but I want to let you know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad she seems to be handling things well and I truly hope all works out.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello to you both! Thanks for your continued following of our journey through this !

I took her to the vet today and dropped her off for a bit of supplemental fluid therapy and just a single overnight respite while she has the fluids (gives me a chance to wash all of her tea towels shes soiled as well!)- Vet thought it was a good idea considering the high amount of meds shes been on.

Vet was just a little concerned about pain. Taro tends to recoil or tense and even kindof "vibrate" her head in a funny way if you touch her in certain places around her surgery site or on some of her abdominal area. Theres still no concern of fluid buildup. The vet gave methadone to see if this would relieve the symptoms a bit. Taro got a really good rest for a bit but roused shortly after and still showed a bit of tension from the pain. Vet informed me that otherwise Taro was happy though and comfortable afterwards so long as not overly handled, and it could just be shes still generally sore due to how slow reptiles are to heal.

I'm glad I let her in for the fluids and monitoring, the fluid will do her a lot of good and getting vet eyes on her consistent progress is reassuring. Vet says we will increase feeds to 5ml per day though as she lost some weight.

I prodded with questions and asked if she had any concerns, she said no- she feels taro is doing all right. We will just have to monitor her with the reduced dosage and make sure she can keep the food down. She said while she feels the current prescription is perfect for Taros diagnosis and are the preferred option, we need to keep an eye on Taros tolerance and make sure the benefit still outweighs the challenge and risk. If not then we may have to return to augmentin. I want to keep her on the preferred choice of meds though if the vet thinks this is what will ultimately treat it; i dont want to risk return of this abcess!

I'll pick her up tomorrow morning, since all went well! I may bring her once every few weeks for the fluid therapy while shes on these meds just to help flush her system a bit until shes well.

Something else I forgot to add- I asked the vet about milk thistle- she says Taros already on it! She says the "dulpha milk" they provide is their own recipe mix of lactulose and milk thistle :) so we are doing everything we can for the liver it seems !

Edit; and yes Tracie she is on probiotic ! She's on protexin daily

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Mack92011":o81ce4a5 said:
Hey, there!

I ended up reading this thread from beginning to end and just felt compelled to tell you how sorry I am that you and Taro have had to go through all of this! What a roller coaster. I can't offer advice like the others can, but I want to let you know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad she seems to be handling things well and I truly hope all works out.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and regards! I bet it was a long read haha-- It has been an insane roller coaster and I'm exhausted.. but Taro is my baby ! I'll do whatever i can if it means shes got a shot ! Things seem reasonably optimistic at the moment at least :) im trying to stay positive !

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Update:

Taros home from the vet today. First thing I noticed this evening is that she seems more comfortable. No more arching her head up or sleeping upright. The "burping" motion has also come down. I think she may have been excessively nauseous from the high dose of flagyl.

We reduced it and doing this + the fluid therapy seems to helped. Vet was otherwise happy with her presentation and ruled out other cause for concern for the time being.

She's lost some weight, but this was likely due to the small feeds, so we increased her to 5ml per day. Vet also found that Taro copes better when the slurries are thicker- so I've tried to add a little less water this time.

I'm just so happy to see her relaxing this evening and getting a normal looking sleep!

Mack92011

That sounds like fantastic news!

I'd say to keep a good tab on her weight over time, that way you know she's getting enough to regain or in the least, not lose anymore. Keep up the good work and the updates! I'm anxious to hear when Taro is back up to full speed! :)

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I may have spoken a bit too soon it seems, i did notice a small spot of water and light brown tinge on the paper towel when i got home. I didn't think much of it at the time because it was small but its 12am now and shes throwing up light brown food/water

ZZbknPy.jpg

Im a little worried but im hoping this is just a side effect of the medicine : ( shes had a bit of water since and ive been cuddling her on the sofa so she can be upright

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor girl. Did this happen after the increase in food ? Might also be the stress from the vet visit. Let her relax in her tank where it's warm and hopefully this was just a bad spell. She's probably very well hydrated so don't worry about getting too much in her today. Keep her warm in the tank.

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
AHBD":gag76os4 said:
Aw, poor girl. Did this happen after the increase in food ? Might also be the stress from the vet visit. Let her relax in her tank where it's warm and hopefully this was just a bad spell. She's probably very well hydrated so don't worry about getting too much in her today. Keep her warm in the tank.

I think it's been happening for a couple of days possibly but in small and sporadic episodes.

I want to think she's just very slow to digest + the meds are making her feel sick.

Vet was originally a little concerned for impaction or blockage but after observing her yesterday she didn't think so anymore. I hope this isn't the case.

I had given her a little water (dropped on her snout) and then sat with her upright for about 30mins with a blanket on us so she would be warm. She seemed very comfortable so long as i didn't move too much. She had a bit of a sleep then with minimal issues.

She only seemed to take the sickly turn after we started the new meds really.. like very shortly after. That's why I'm lead to believe it's her meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom