Hello from Merlin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my name is Merlin! (See my pictures below) My dad is Rob and he is new to the reptile thing. He adopted me two days ago! He got me a starter home and quickly realized it came with things that weren't going to be good enough for me (and not just because I'm special.) He switched my UV coil bulb to a T8 tube bulb. He is currently working on ideas to get the light in to my home instead of on top of the screen. However, where I spend most of my day is pretty close to the bulb already. He purchased and awaiting UV cards from Amazon to see if the UV where I spend my day is good. He also got me this cool wood feature that I don't leave except for crickets. He gave me kale and watermelon today, not sure why he took the time to cut it all in little pieces because I definitely wasn't going to eat that when crickets are an option and I even heard he has samples of Dubai roaches coming! I ate 10 crickets yesterday and I'm at 8 so far today. He has done a lot but he is still pretty worried he isn't doing enough because he wants me to grow big and strong! Any advice and/or constructive criticism will be welcomed!

Bye for now! -Merlin

108082-3101734165.jpg

108082-8618144509.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome Merlin he is a cutey! Here are some ideas on how to get that into the tank as it needs to be there you may haft to sit the decor piece in a different angle for it to be the 8-10 inches that is required ---3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties or wire from the hanging potted plants
Here are some tips on how to get him to eat his salad your gonna need a glass bowl or ceramic so the worms and dubias cant get out of - first let him warm up for like an hr after lights on - then get your salad ready http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is a good staple feeder
then take 1-3 small super worms you can get them from here www.reptilesupply.com you can also order BSFL also known as calci worms nutri grubs or phoenix worms order large as they are small-- ad this as well to his salad in front of him so it draws him to the bowl same w/ the supers -- the movement entices them to the bowl - feed as many as you want of the BSFL nutri grubs --- they are a staple feeder and a good supplement to your main staple feeder-- let him eat from the bowl for say an hr or so then take a little salad out and add your dubias the that bowl - he will get salad as well as his steak ---
another place for BSFL is this place www.symptonbsf.com
www.dubiaroaches.com they have horn worms and nutri grubs - the horn worms are a hydrating worm and they grow real fast so order small amounts they get real big -- butter worms are good at this time they are out
silk worms another great staple feeder- if you order in bulk make sure you get food as you will need to feed them and clean out the containers every day -- get little ones or small
www.coastilsilkworms.com west coast has them now
www.reptilianarts.com
www.mulberryfarms.com
Happy shopping
Karrie

Lineburgher

Original Poster
I put the light inside with picture wire and I ordered a variety of insects from Mulberry Farms. Iaid his tree down and he seems to be OK with it. Merlin did end up eating a few small pieces of watermelon. However, trying kale may have to wait for tomorrow (wasn't having it today) before the crickets (fingers crossed.) Thank you for all the suggestions!!

I do have one more thing on my mind. Right now I'm off work due to Covid19 and I am worried for when I go back since he is a baby. Any advice on how to ready myself when I will be gone from 7:55am - 4:05p would be awesome! Thank you in advance!

108082-3659222080.jpg

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
I went back to uni for one day after spring break (when I got Mari after months of planning to take her to medical school with me) and when all public spaces were shut down the next day. XD The trick is to just fill a bowl with like 3 servings worth of BSFL or immobile bugs (crickets are a no-no for leaving unattended, and superworms and mealworms are a no-no for any time under 18 months) before you go to bed and then then you can just leave for work the next day. If your beardie overeats, then you might want to try a different method, but Marijke is 5 months old and doesn't overeat, so the one day I went back to uni before lockdown happened, she was covered food-wise all day, and when I got home late at night, she still had some bugs in her bowl, but she was basking on her rock like it was no one's business XD.

Oh, and also peep the profile pic ------------------------------>
I just found out today that you can add a profile pic of your beardie :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The trick is too if she eats enough before you leave for work like the veggies and staple feeder I recommend getting dubias - they will stay in the glass bowl or ceramic bowl - feed her the salad before you leave w/ the worms then right before you leave put about 8-10 dubias in the bowl - she can eat them while your gone - try that -- if you feed her in the evening make she she has 2 hrs of basking time before lights out
Karrie

Lineburgher

Original Poster
Thank you both very much for your advice. I can't wait for the worms to get here because I think he is over crickets. I was probing his area to check the temp and he tried to eat it. He wants some worms and roaches I think. I have to find the bigger of the small crickets or he won't touch them. I feel like he is still small for the bigger ones but I feel like he is in control.

Thanks again!
Rob

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Merlin is a cutie.

That cactus is also cute. :)

And that tree! We are jealous, I have not been able to find anything like that.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
Oh, thanks! I will have to keep an eye on those to see if stock comes in to our local stores.

BTW, we have the same tank. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom