I am SO scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me2WeBN

Hello everyone. I’m completely new to having a reptile as a pet. I purchased my handsome man, Buster, this past Thursday. He was purchased from PetSmart and I feel as though I’ve been drowning ever since. He was an impulse buy so I really want to make sure I’m caring for him properly. I have been reading and taking in SO much information over these past 4 days. I currently have him in a 30 gallon tank and struggling w/ humidity problems. My home is SUPER humid so I know, until we move, I’m not going to be able to steady it w/o a dehumidifier. I seen on another discussion I can purchase 1 from HomeDepot (I will tomorrow). At this time, I get scared to feed him crickets because the grow quickly and I keep reading the have parasites and can cause infection if he’s bitten. I usually feed him a couple at a time, however, I don’t feel he’s getting enough. I really want him to thrive and grow. Lighting is great. Basking and uvb is great. He seems happy as well, but I don’t want to miss any signs. ANY and all pointers are welcome. There are SO many discussions my eyeballs are drying out reading them lol. Thanks in advance?

Also, I just read the type of UVB I’m using is incorrect. Since I now understand I need a T5 Reptisun 10.0 bulb, I wanted to know if those come on different wattages. If so, what wattage will I need for my 30 gallon tank for a young Beardie.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First the T 5 is a great UVB it would need to be the 10.0 for a tank bigger than a 30 gallon-- you can get a T 8 but I need to tell you first you will need to upgrade that tank in a few months -- for a full size dragon you need no less than a 40 and that is pushing it - I would look for a 75-120 gallon w/ front doors - we can give ideas of where to get them but first the lighting is the priority --- if you are going to upgrade to the bigger tank here soon I would go w/ the T 5 - you can set the UVB on the top of the tank w/ a screen and have your basking decor 8-10 inches from the UVB -- what is the humidity in the tank ? If is above 70% then yes get a dehumidifier ---- are there water bowls in the tank if there are take them out --- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate - you need a digital probe and or a infrared heat gun --- the gun can be purchased at your local home improvement store $10-12 and the probes at petco or petsmart $6 -- please get them if you dont have them -- then the probe needs to sit on the basking spot of where he sits for 10 minutes then get the temp -- you want it 105-110 -- for a baby-- you should be feeding salads every morning here is a website for you http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its good to feed as a staple feeder -- he should be eating as many crickets he will eat in a 10 minute time frame dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- but you need to start w/ salads first I know he wont eat them w/ out enticement to bowl so you need to get some worms for enticement to bowl like small supers butter worms BSFL will do the trick -- here is a website to order small super worms they are out of butter worms at the moment
https://reptilesupply.com/
here is a site for BSFL they are a great staple feeder do not dust feed as many as your want
www.symptonbsf.com these are also known as calci worms phoenix worms and nutri grubs - leave on your counter for 2 weeks or so if they turn to flies feed them to your dragon --
Please ask if you have any more questions
Karrie

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
None of the stores around me had T5 bulbs, so unfortunately I had to get a T8. I have a 55 gallon tank already ready for when he gets older. I couldn’t find any 24” hoods for my T8 bulb so I had to order 1 and I’m scared because there’s no telling when it’ll get here. Before I purchased it the site said the 26th. After I purchased it they said they are short on staff and will ship it as soon as possible. I will definitely take in to consideration feeding worms w/ his salads. I have to find a smaller container to feed him in because he gets spooked in the y’all sterilite container I place him in. I’m so frustrated that I purchased him on a whim. It’s completely unfair to him but I’m trying to do my best for him. I’m going to pick up the humidifier today. Unfortunately there were none near me so I had to order 1 that’s about 30 miles from where I live. Thank you very much for all the info. I’ve been dusting his crickets w/ cal/vd3 and a regular vitamins. He got a bath 2 days ago. He wasn’t a huge fan. I believe he’s still getting comfortable but can’t because I have to keep changing wrong things and adding right things ??? I will be purchasing a temp gun soon, and I guess, will be getting a digital temp probe. I’ve spent so much money and it hasn’t even been a full week. I’m so mad at myself, but we’re goin to get through it. Thanks again for all you info. I’ll update you when I get everything working to his benefit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry your having such a time w/ the ordering mess but you are not alone -- who did you go thru for the fixture? I am also sorry to say the T 8 bulb probably will not fit that fixture so I want you to go here and get this T 5 these people are fast and good they ship Fed Ex ---
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/detailed/4/zoo-med-uvb-10-T5.jpg order the 22" it fill fit the hood you have coming --- you may get this before that hood --
when your hood comes please let us know so we can help place it and you can move him into the 55 gallon when the fixture comes in --- you can take the T 8 back and get your money back
Karrie

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
He’s actually in a 30 gallon fish tank turned terrarium. I don’t have enough money to buy him a larger tank. The tank I have waiting is another fish tank but I believe it’s 50 gallons. Once I get settled in at my new job I’ll get him an actual reptile tank. However, I’m trying to save as much as possible right now. I’ve already spent $400 on wrong things and now I’m scrambling to get the right things. I can’t return anything besides the T8 24” and that’s only because I haven’t opened it. But I still can’t return it until they start accepting exchanges and returns at PetSmart. I got the 24” because of the size of my tank. I couldn’t find a hood or light to fit a 30inch (2.5ft) bulb. I initially purchased the 10 gallon terrarium and I realized that was incorrect. That was $80, on sale. And everything else, incorrect lights, incorrect substrate, and buying correct materials has completely broken me. So at the moment I’m really trying to work w/ what I got until I can do more. I can’t get another tank right now. I just purchase the hood and bulb I thought was going to work and now I’m being told it won’t. I tried to find an under cabinet fixture that way I didn’t have to worry about the six and I couldn’t even find that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Under cabinet fixture will not have a reflector-- so the 24" fixture keep you just need the T 5 bulb $20- $80 for a 10 gallon aquarium pathetic!!! You can get them from Walmart for $10 ok so I am sorry your spending so much money but the 50 gallon will work - you don't need to buy another tank--- post a pic if the hood you have so I can see it or what is coming
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so keep the T 8 bulb never mind the T 5-- you can still use it it just needs to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking spot and it's good just replace the bulb in 6 months-- so mark your calendar after you install it--- and make sure there is NO cover - take it off and leave it off bulb exposed
Karrie

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
108014-8131588064.jpg

This is his current enclosure. He uses a red heat lamp during the day to help keep the humidity down, according to stuck in hygrometer. (I know I need digital and a temp gun. Will get this weekend) I have another basking bulb but won’t put that in until I get the temp gun and digital probe. He does not use any light at night due to my research stating it messes up their sleep. According to the stick-ons, the temp does not drop below 70 degrees. My room usually stays at 75-80 due to where I live and the type of home I’m in.

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
Last but not least, under his neck looks kind of black to me. I’m trying to figure out if he’s getting that black fungus stuff??? I tried to get the best pic I could.

108014-6601066463.jpg
108014-1513416712.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His beard and neck look fine. The dark coloring is natural. It's possibly showing more due to oncoming shed making the rest of the skin seem duller. It is also often mood related. Nothing to worry about there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i love the pineapple under the sea decor :lol: please get rid of the red bulb I know you said its used during the day you dont need it --- what is the humidity in the tank ? If it is below 70 you are fine -- all you need is one good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 for a juvie/ adult and 105-110 for a baby--- and the UVB that you have coming -- get it inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from a decor piece in that tank --- you can hang the fixture w/ these things
3 command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- potted plant wire hangers -- use your digital probe to get temps now take the probe set it on the basking decor piece leave 10 minutes get temp -- sorry I just read you dont have it yet -- you need to get it ASAP - at this point he is not getting any food digested --- the white light I am seeing is what? is he eating?
Karrie

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
CooperDragon":wt5r5fmr said:
His beard and neck look fine. The dark coloring is natural. It's possibly showing more due to oncoming shed making the rest of the skin seem duller. It is also often mood related. Nothing to worry about there.

Me2WeBN

Original Poster
Yes he is eating. I changed the red bulb out a moment ago. The white light is the compact UVB since I’m unsure of when the hood for the T8 will come in. I don’t know what else to do for him to get his D3. I dust his food but, I know he still needs the light ?

Thank you for the comment on my pineapple. He actually loves to climb on it lol.

Also, thank you CopperDragon for easing my mind. Thank all of you. This has been an emotional 6 days

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
In the meantime check and see if your UVB has shipped- then you can take him outside if it is 65 + degrees in a plastic tote NO glass direct sunlight for 15 minutes---- or hold him but no longer than 15 minutes in the tote-- you don't want to burn him up that will be equalivent to 4 hrs of UVB
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom