Deciding On Next Lizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Ackie monitors were a consideration at some point, but I decided against monitors in general. I will end up using the 20G as a midway into a two level tank that my current beardie has. She doesnt need/use the second level, so it'll eventually be closed off and used for either a second beardie or gecko. Thanks though :)

williamk34

Hatchling Member
Personally I would go with another beardie have to myself a male and a female if you get a male if you decide to breed later on you would already have the second dragon ready to go and they are profitable since they are very popular lol.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Breeding is extremely pricey, one baby dragon was easily costing me $30/week. I couldnt imagine feeding a dozen. I would end up getting a second female.

williamk34

Hatchling Member
personally whenever I got my second dragon I decided to make colonies of my feeder insects occasionally I buy a couple hundred of each and throw them into the colonies just to give some new blood and I've only had to do that once every few monthsbesides that I haven't personally bought feeder insects in a while I will say the hardest ones I had to start where the crickets they kept dying but eventually I got them to breed and stay successful I have superworms dubia roaches crickets and mealworms I think I might start up a wax worm colony don't know what I'll do about the moths I will admit I'm not going to lie about it it did cost a pretty penny to get them started but after I got them started I haven't paid for any sort of feeders in a very long time outside of introducing new blood to the colonies

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
If I had my own house, Id be more willing to breed them but alas... Anyways, my beardy went through about 500 crickets per week when she was a baby. She still goes through 200 per week. Not sure how she does with dubias because they havent been in stock locally and its only just starting to be warm enough to ship them.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I will not rest until someone on here gets a Uro so I can live vicariously through them.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Maybe in 5-10 years lol... Sorry I cant help but fat shame uros

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
RUDE!!!!!
THEY ONLY EAT SALADS!! :mrgreen:

No complaining about insect costs! What do you have to say about that! Huh? :lol:

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh. Oh. Oh dang. Ima... Go do some research now.
PS Im still fat shaming full grown Uros

Update: Immediate nail in the coffin. The second half of the tank is not large enough for a full grown Uro (43" wide, 24" deep, 24" tall).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had my uro in a 40g breeder and she did fine.
Some species get large though, such as the Egyptian. I had a Saharan Uro.

I had a big huge thread for her in the Uro section here, but dumb photobucket got money hungry and now all my pictures don't show up anymore. Wish I never used photobucket.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Deabrua":2qsqauu6 said:
Not sure how she does with dubias because they havent been in stock locally and its only just starting to be warm enough to ship them.
??? :? ??? I've been getting dubias shipped all winter. Vendor puts a hotpack in the box & ships next day/ and they do fine. No losses at all--even in Jan/Feb in the Northeast.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Claudiusx":8ekowkta said:
I had my uro in a 40g breeder and she did fine.
Some species get large though, such as the Egyptian. I had a Saharan Uro.

I had a big huge thread for her in the Uro section here, but dumb photobucket got money hungry and now all my pictures don't show up anymore. Wish I never used photobucket.

-Brandon

The lower half of the tank has about 20% more floor space + 50% more height than a 40G breeder, but the extra height would also need to keep hanging light fixtures in mind. If I got one of the smaller species, I could certainly consider it.

MrSpectrum":8ekowkta said:
??? :? ??? I've been getting dubias shipped all winter. Vendor puts a hotpack in the box & ships next day/ and they do fine. No losses at all--even in Jan/Feb in the Northeast.

It seems every time I went to get insects it was sub zero or, if very lucky, single digits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom