Yeast infection/increased mucous

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get some food into her and keep her hydrated -- either by giving her a bath or dropping water on her nose or syringe feed her ---- if you do that do it slow so she does not aspirate--- do you have any veggies in the house for her like collard turnip greens or kale mustard some squash ? You can make a slurry out of that or go get some baby food like squash and some green beans and some chicken --- mix it together w/ some water so its a little runny and feed her that -- see if she will lick it off the spoon if not I would force feed her some like 1ML at a time if she has not been eating --- and feed a couple of times a day - you dont want her so weak she cant eat --- but I would see if she will eat off the spoon first --
Karrie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
KarrieRee":31o931tw said:
You need to get some food into her and keep her hydrated -- either by giving her a bath or dropping water on her nose or syringe feed her ---- if you do that do it slow so she does not aspirate--- do you have any veggies in the house for her like collard turnip greens or kale mustard some squash ? You can make a slurry out of that or go get some baby food like squash and some green beans and some chicken --- mix it together w/ some water so its a little runny and feed her that -- see if she will lick it off the spoon if not I would force feed her some like 1ML at a time if she has not been eating --- and feed a couple of times a day - you dont want her so weak she cant eat --- but I would see if she will eat off the spoon first --
Karrie

I'll do this right now !!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
ok ok so just as kerrie suggested; i feed her a couple mls of baby food (spaced out) and some watered down gatorade for electrolytes

then i took her outside for 15-20 minutes to sit in the sun (its still a bit cool being barely 70 degrees F atm)

Wg9KcIi.jpg

RSxJRCn.jpg

rygkT79.jpg

akiyCxx.jpg

she was not terribly amused (maybe because i don't normally take her out in this fashion and leave her sitting there); when she got back she bobbed her head at me-- shes got such an attitude at times haha; but she looks a LOT better just after doing the feeding and the sitting out. Shes sitting up in her enclosure at the moment, alert.

I think ill continue to get her out daily when i can and keep up the feeding; it seems to have picked her up a lot. still gaping and a bit lowly but looks a lot better already!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, she doesn't look real thrilled does she? LOL
Just keep an eye out for large birds of prey or other predators which could stress her.
Hopefully the nice sunshine will help her feel better.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Drache613":2uc3p40k said:
Hello,

Oh my, she doesn't look real thrilled does she? LOL
Just keep an eye out for large birds of prey or other predators which could stress her.
Hopefully the nice sunshine will help her feel better.

Tracie

She absolutely was not!! But Taro is notorious for getting moody at even the slightest inconvenience haha- despite this though shes actually a very social dragon (but with humans only- she cannot stand other dragons and gets highly territorial)

Magpies and crows are quite frequent this season :( but none were out at that time; i think she just didn't like doing something new. I'm hoping i can get her out at least once or twice a day when its nice and warm maybe she will eventually relax :lol:

I will keep you posted!!

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
KarrieRee":2mdh4rf3 said:
Make sure that UVB is in a fixture w/ reflector it will work the best
Karrie

Hi Kerrie; so im looking at now purchasing the uvb items needed and the basking light right now.

I did measurements from the basking decor (which is a platform fixed to the back wall of the enclosure built in)

currently; the coil UVB (the 26 watt one getyourpetright one) is about 6-8 inches from that basking decoration. The ceramic heat light is also approximately that distance from the decoration. The heat on the basking decoration is actually very hot; uncomfortably hot even but shes been climbing up there and enjoying it anyway, even in the last day or so. When i did these measurements though and checked the temps on the basking spot; technically the distance from the UVB and the temperature on that basking spot are matching what the recommendations are... but my method of doing it is just a bit unconventional as I dont actually have a basking bulb.. just the UVB bulb and the ceramic... Taro just migrates to the hide in the night time and then goes to the basking spot in the day.

I was actually previously quite afraid that she was too close to the lights, to be honest, i was a little peeved at the guy i commissioned because i wondered if he had any common sense when he built it :silent:

My theoretical plan still to maybe improve the setup is to:

affix the 12% arcadia tube fixture on the front corner of the tank above the sliding glass opening (which would be about 12" away from the basking decor inside the tank. I'm not sure if there is room for the reflector so I was considering using reflective tape; hoping this will work as an alternative)

Then i will purchase a basking bulb to replace the coil; and then move the ceramic over and just turn it off in the daytime.

My question about this was though:

if my basking heat bulb is 6-8 inches from the basking decor, would that be too close? would it run the risk of burning her..? Even just the ceramic right there makes that spot quite hot

The other question i had as well is that I do not keep my house very warm in the winter, hence why i commissioned a custom wood based vivarium with ceramic so that the tank keeps a constant temperature range. If i switch to just the basking heat bulb, would this make the rest of the tank too cool in the winter if she is not choosing to bask?

In regards to Taro's current condition; she seems to have improved. her appetite is still pretty bad though, and she still gapes her mouth open at times as if shes puffing out little breaths of air, but its certainly has improved and she appears a lot more comfortable. her mouth is still a bit slimy and wet. She continues the medicine for another 3 days, then she will be rechecked by the vet Monday. I've read up on the possibility of her having cancer and i really strongly hope this isn the case :( .. but her overall presentation and activity has definitely improved at least. Shes very irritable though; when i take her out to give her a cuddle and then put her back, she will bob her head at me once or twice; same as when i try to offer her normal food- she just gives me a hateful glare and her beard might start to turn just a little dark (for only a moment) .. its as if shes telling me to f*ck off :lol: Its not stress.. because the rest of her colour and activity is quite normal; its just for a moment she kindof gives me the notion to sod off if i bother her too much.

I see so many posts with people who have sweet and loving dragons but mine sometimes just seems like shes just annoyed with everything in the world :roll: not even in an aggressive way but.. maybe a passive aggressive way? LOL .. she does love her cuddles though. Just don't do anything else that might be inconvenient to her. (taking her to the vet is one of those things..)

Even the vet told me she just looked like she was the most unamused dragon she had ever seen :p

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you will be purchasing the new UVB light now, it will really help out. The
compact/coil lights are just not very good.
A lot of people use flashing or reflective backing/tape to help increase the UVB output if
you wont be getting a light fixture with reflective backing. I think that 6-8 inches from the
basking bulb is probably going to be too close. I would aim for 10 or so inches. What is
the wattage of the basking bulb?
If your house tends to get a little cooler in the winter, using a ceramic heat emitter should
be perfectly fine. Just be sure the overnight temperatures don't get above 75-80F.
Is she feeling better right now? I hope that she doesn't have cancer, either. I'm happy to
hear that she is a bit more active now. Many times they will give a few bobs just trying to
communicate with you, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Is her beard clear & normal
color or darker in color?

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Drache613":3flcj6hv said:
Hello,

That is great you will be purchasing the new UVB light now, it will really help out. The
A lot of people use flashing or reflective backing/tape to help increase the UVB output if
you wont be getting a light fixture with reflective backing. I think that 6-8 inches from the
basking bulb is probably going to be too close. I would aim for 10 or so inches. What is
If your house tends to get a little cooler in the winter, using a ceramic heat emitter should
be perfectly fine. Just be sure the overnight temperatures don't get above 75-80F.
Is she feeling better right now? I hope that she doesn't have cancer, either. I'm happy to
hear that she is a bit more active now. Many times they will give a few bobs just trying to
communicate with you, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Is her beard clear & normal

Tracie

Hi Tracie, thanks for reply; haven't purchased just yet as I'm still working through the options

Do you have a recommendation for wattage on the basking light if it is 10-12" from decor?

I will have to remove the affixed basking decoration (basically hammer it off) as its part of the cement backdrop- then I should be able to just move the hide over and use the top surface as her basking spot. It would then be the perfect distance- the light fixtures are built in so they won't be so easy to move :( but i think i can make it all work

Taro beard is mostly clear, only sometimes goes a little black when i give her meds.. or she needs to poop haha

She's still mouth gaping though and her mouth is still a bit wet. Admittedly though I've been giving her a lot of fluids, but im still worried. Shes on the way to her vet recheck now so fingers crossed thingd have hopefully improved :( shes always had a bit of a gag/swallowing issue because of her head shape.. I wonder if this is at all related to the cause her infections..?

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Drache613":1ck46tv6 said:
Hello,

Tracie

Hi Tracie; I know you're a vet on this forum so sorry to quote you again:

theres still infection with Taro; still mucous so we changed antibiotics to augmentin, but continue nystatin and probiotics

the blood work she confirmed with me all levels were normal except for increased amalayse level, she suspects related to the infection in her gastric

she says an xray would be good to help find out any issues, and fluid therapy (overnight stay with iv fluids to help balance her electrolytes and hydrate her organs)- she felt her tummy but wasn't able to find any certain issues; some food was in there, and maybe one small suspicious spot but she wasn't very specific about it; two fat pads

she said there may possibly be follicular stasis going on since Taro has not laid eggs; do you know much about this or the treatment for it..?

i will book the xray and likely one night stay for the fluids; its been very costly though- even just the xray and the fluid therapy will cost me about $500 aud.. the bloods and treatments two weeks ago was close to $350, and the whole dental scenario a month ago was $1000... i really hope im doing the right thing and not just being scammed here

hopefully i can get some answers and get her well again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom