Rescue Dragon: Finster

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkratman

This is Finster. When George passed away in November, I knew it was just a matter of time before I found a rescue that needed me, because I know I needed a rescue.

Anyone that's lost a beardie knows what its like to wake up in the morning, walk to the enclosure, and realize your buddy is gone.

I found him on Craigslist, and I went out to pick him up. I expected to see him in his enclosure, put him in the cat carrier I brought with handwarmers, blankets, etc (its cold here), and take him home.

What I got was a woman handing me a small (really small) cardboard box, through an open door in March in New England. Then the door slammed.

She packed him completely wrapped in a hand towel, directly in contact with a water bottle full of VERY hot water.

I transferred him in into the cat carrier in the back of my car. The whole way home, I wondered if he was dead because the water was so hot. I go him home, unwrapped him, and got him into his enclosure.

She wrapped him in the towel because he's obviously not been handled much. He shrinks away when I try to touch him, like he's been regularly hit on the head. He would hiss, he would bite.

He's had obviously not been treated right-- 1.5 years old according to the previous "owner", but way undersized. Underbite. Fed only beardie pellets and crickets, obviously no UVB or proper temps. Seems so hungry that I wonder if he's not still under a year old. He won't tolerate me enough to weigh and measure him yet, but he's MUCH smaller than George was. She was a female, 19 inches or so, 550g. He might be half or two-thirds that size.

It's been a struggle, but he is starting to warm up to me and looks so good now, compared to when I got him. It's been about a month, and he even lets me pick him up without getting upset. Good light, good temps, a big enclosure, and plenty of good food have done wonders!

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Poor baby its good he went to some one who was experienced ---- and he has bounced back --- that is good -- I dont understand people at all -------------
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Poor baby, so glad he is with you now. Wishing you both the best

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad you rescued Finster! Looking forward to seeing Finster live out a long healthy life :)

-Brandon

jkratman

Original Poster
Thanks, all, and thanks again Brandon. I remember you tried to help me with George, among others.

Finster is doing much better-- he's starting to look VERY fat, lol.

He will tolerate me holding him inside the cage, but still regularly "spazzes out" and runs away sometimes.

Last attempt to take him out of the cage ended with me shooing him into a box and depositing him in the cage (gently of course)

I've never had a male, so I'm not sure if its hormones or something. He acts a bit like George did when getting ready to lay eggs. Based on that, I'd say he's a "she", but his femoral pores are VERY pronounced....think he's a "He" :)

He's starting to smell, LOL, and I can't take him out of the enclosure without him freaking out to bathe him. I put a large bowl in his cage with water (inch deep) and he splashes around and makes a mess, haha.

Tangent: thoughts on beardie pellets? his former owner gave me some and on a lark I decided to see if he wanted him some-- he seems to like them. George would never eat that crap, lol. I give him a variety of veg every day and about 50-60 BSF three times a week, calcium, vitamins, etc.

Are they bad? I would never use as a replacement for real food, but good to know he'd eat it if things with COVID got desperate.

Another tangent: he drinks from a bowl! LOL, George never did that.

Thanks everyone for your interest and support.

jkratman

Original Poster
One of the things I first noticed about Finster. His mouth. He appears to have a gap between his front upper and lower jaw. Is this because of MBD? Maybe an injury? His teeth are much smaller than George's, to the point where the front ones are hard to see.

full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like maybe swollen gums or possibly a bit of deformed/soft jaw bone from improper care. It doesn't look bad and wouldn't cause me much concern now with healthy lighting and diet. It will probably always look like that but not worsen thanks to your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom