Prolapse after laying eggs, all vets closed for Easter sunda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been soaking her in cool sugar water and putting sugar on the prolapse to reduce the swelling, but it won’t go back in. I don’t know what to do, No vets are open until Monday. Please help

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH dear, how is she doing, how bad is it?
Continue soaking a few times daily, in cool sugar water to see if that helps out. How many
eggs did she lay?
Do you have any aloe vera gel, ky jelly or vaseline to keep the area moist?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Cranberries

Original Poster
Drache613":2ek5jpzs said:
Hello,

OH dear, how is she doing, how bad is it?
Continue soaking a few times daily, in cool sugar water to see if that helps out. How many
eggs did she lay?
Do you have any aloe vera gel, ky jelly or vaseline to keep the area moist?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Only a little bit of the organ actually came out, but her vent is really swollen and she keeps pushing really hard. I have aloe Vera gel but there are other ingredients in it, I’m not sure if they’re harmful or not. I’ll look for some Vaseline. She laid 16 eggs but I think there’s at least one more inside. She also passed a yellow substance that looked like egg yolk.

Cranberries

Original Poster
She laid two more eggs, one of them had no shell. Then the prolapse went back in.

I’ve only had her for one month. She didn’t have proper care before she came to me. About 5 years ago my cousins got her from someone off craigslist. They took abysmal care of her until my grandma adopted her from them. My grandma took better care of her, but it still wasn’t ideal. I adopted her from my grandma because she couldn’t afford her anymore and because I could tell she needed vet attention. I will be taking her to a vet as soon as one opens again. I think she’s ok for tonight.

Thank you so much for responding quickly! It means a lot to me. I was really scared I would lose her. I really hope she makes it until I can get her medical attention

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad that she seems to have stabilized a bit. Is her beard black at all? Keep trying
to keep the area moist & hopefully it will go back in. It sounds like she may have been
low in calcium & had some trouble laying the eggs at the end. She will probably need
some antibiotics also, since she had an egg rupture internally or it broke.
Try to keep her warm, comfortable & hydrated as much as possible. Let us know how
she is doing.

Tracie

Cranberries

Original Poster
Her beard was black but turned normal colors shortly before your last reply to me. She slept through the night and has been basking all morning. I fed her around 15 more BSFL and will make her a salad soon. The prolapse went back in and I stayed up for a couple of hours to make sure it stayed that way. Everything is still fine, tomorrow I’ll be able to take her to a vet for the antibiotics. Happy Easter by the way!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, glad to hear that she passed the last egg ! So you say she is basking and eating now ? I don't know if you should bother with a vet then, unless she is acting sickly. You don't want more stress right now, just good food, calcium + hydration. Does she drink water if you offer it with an eyedropper , spray bottle or drink while being soaked ? And what do you put in her salads ?

Cranberries

Original Poster
AHBD":sjlldi3v said:
Hi there, glad to hear that she passed the last egg ! So you say she is basking and eating now ? I don't know if you should bother with a vet then, unless she is acting sickly. You don't want more stress right now, just good food, calcium + hydration. Does she drink water if you offer it with an eyedropper , spray bottle or drink while being soaked ? And what do you put in her salads ?

She’s been staying right underneath a heat lamp I’ve attached to my bed. And her appetite is great! Her salads usually consist of collard or mustard greens, celery leaves, and any spare vegetables or fruit we have (other than the obvious no-no foods) if I spray the top of her head with water she usually drinks it, I’ve never seen her drink from her bath before.

One thing that concerns me is that one of her hind legs has been twitching a little bit. And she’s very lethargic now, she hasn’t really moved at all since yesterday. Usually she never stops running around, but I guess that could have been because of the eggs. I’ve only had her for a month so I’m not 100% sure what her normal behavior is like. I know they act differently when they have eggs in them.

I’m definitely taking her to the vet though. I’ve had really bad luck with my pets lately. I had an 8 month old beardie. Something kept telling me to bring him to the vet for a normal checkup even though nothing seemed to be wrong with him. It was just a hunch, I figured I was worrying for no reason. One night he died very suddenly and we never found out why. People on r/beardeddragons told me it was probably a genetic problem. I loved that little guy like he was my own baby. I don’t want to lose this lizard too. She’s very sweet and expressive. I have the same feeling that I should get her seen by a vet. I just feel like somethings wrong. I’d rather potentially waste that money than do nothing and have to watch her die. I have an appointment set for tomorrow evening. I will update you guys with what the vet says :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well do what you think is right. Just remember that an unqualified vet can do more damage than good at times. Hopefully everything will be fine though. :) You say she's under a heat lamp next to the bed, is there uvb there ? Do you have a good set up with a strong uvb bulb, if so what kind is it ? That is imperative, and be sure to offer calcium powder on her food. Post some pics of her + her set up and lights using this info :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear her prolapse went back in after she laid the last egg.
How is she doing, still eating a good amount? It sounds like she is active & alert which are
great signs after her ordeal. Were you able to get her into the vets then for a check up? It
is a horrible experience, to lose one.
I am so happy that she is eating & feeling better. Let us know how she is doing. You are
awesome, staying up with her like that, too. I'm sure that she appreciated it.

Tracie

Cranberries

Original Poster
I have one of the long tube UVBs, I need to replace it soon but I leave her in her cage under the UVB for a few hours every day. The problem is Her heat lamp isn’t strong enough to heat the cage up by itself. I had two but one of the lamps fell apart and broke the lightbulb with it, so I have to buy a new lamp + bulb, and can’t until the stimulus check comes in. Hopefully within the next week. All of this stuff happened at the worst possible time haha, usually she’s in her cage for most of the day and only on my bed for a couple of hours. I just want to make sure she can digest her food properly. She’s lost a lost of weight from laying eggs and I want her to be strong enough to pass the rest.

The vet said she seems to be perfectly fine, good lung and heart function. He thinks she has a few more eggs left but wasn’t sure. He didn’t think it was necessary to do an x ray because Lizzy seemed great. And the prolapse somehow fixed itself, but I should keep an eye on her when she poops and lays eggs to make sure it doesn’t happen again. She also pooped today with no issues. She’s just lethargic but I’m not concerned. We babysat her for a week in December and she hardly moved for that whole time. When my grandma gave her to me to keep, she was running around constantly, but that was probably because she had eggs.

I’ve been feeding her lots of food and giving her daily baths and extra calcium. I also bring her outside for sunlight since she can bask and get UVB at the same time.

Cranberries

Original Poster
She’s less hungry today so I’m leaving her under the uvb lamp for most of the day until this evening I will feed her and put her under the heat lamp. She didn’t lay anymore eggs yet. I’m thinking the vet was feeling her poo but thought it was some eggs. I’ll be keeping an eye on her just to be safe

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that Lizzy is doing so much better. At least her prolapse went back in so
at least she wont be having those issues. The vet felt that she had a few more eggs left to
lay? I hope that she wont have another prolapse, too. Is she basking a good amount?
Is she eating anything yet?
I'm glad to hear she has been able to enjoy some sunshine, it is always so good for them!
You can post some new pictures of her, if you would like. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Cranberries

Original Poster

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good, she looks bright eyed + alert. :) Be sure to offer all the food she wants, even twice a day and calcium on one meal a day. It looks like she has an underbite ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom