Plants from your own yard for beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you live in an area where neighbors don't use pesticides + weedkiller you can find some healthy plants that are good for your beardie in your own yard. :) Most people know that dandelions are good, both leaves and the yellow flower. Another yellow plant you might have is the blossoms from the forsythia bush. And another healthy choice is green leaf clover . This is what forsythia bush looks like.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwiZj8j5l9DoAhWNr8gKHZo7A64YABAKGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_3Y_kMPYZsqZM4VoP-jIWNTc9Anow&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi3_7_5l9DoAhXKZs0KHZPvCkoQ9aACegQIGRB6&adurl=

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Didn't know about clover. ? I have plenty of dandelion and wild mint, neither of which Petey seems to care for. He'll eat some if I put a tiny bit on his salad but that's about it. ?
I know there are lots of safe flowers/petals and hoping Petey might like some rose petals since my bushes are getting ready to explode. ?
-Dee

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My guys like any of these things mixed in with a bit of their regular salad but my one dragon [ Buddy ] will snatch the forsythia right out of my hand. And yes, rose petals are good ! So are nasturtioms and one of the most popular flowers the impatien.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I did find something new that Petey likes though. ?Cilantro! Yum yum! Bought a bunch at the store Tues and been adding several leaves to his salad this past week and he chows right into those. ?
Keeping fingers crossed ? on rose petals since I have multiple bushes of 3 different kinds, all of which bloom profusely into Nov. ?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I usually plant collards and kale for Darwin. I tried squash once but I don't really have enough space for it. Green beans have been hit and miss. I tried cilantro one year (I love cooking with it) but it didn't produce much except weak laves and coriander. It's almost time to plant for this season but I'm not quite sure what I'll put down yet.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":1b42n061 said:
I usually plant collards and kale for Darwin. I tried squash once but I don't really have enough space for it. Green beans have been hit and miss. I tried cilantro one year (I love cooking with it) but it didn't produce much except weak laves and coriander. It's almost time to plant for this season but I'm not quite sure what I'll put down yet.
Cilantro is difficult to grow and will bolt quickly if the weather warms up. ? It's def an early spring or fall herb, summer isn't good. I fought it last summer. Nope. I planted an herb garden, won't do cilantro again. Basil, rosemary, thyme, Greek oregano were good. Sage was iffy, parsley iffy, cilantro no. We had a horrible, dry, hot summer. Even mint didn't do well and it's a weed! ? I had spearmint and sweet mint, neither did well. Plus being so dry, I had to water daily. Doubling my water bill with very little to show for it except a tan and gorgeous basil! ?
-Dee
This has been my gardening bible, hope it's ok to post the site. If not, let me know and I'll edit. ?
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I had good luck with Basil last year too and will plant that again for sure. I make a lot of pesto and use fresh Basil in a lot of stir frys. I also have some green onions for my cooking. And mint for julep & mojitos =). Collards do really well late in the season. I had issues with small slugs stripping the leaves most of the summer. I might give green beans a try. Kind of depends what is available at the garden store when I start venturing out again - which could be weeks or months.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":36iehkx0 said:
I had good luck with Basil last year too and will plant that again for sure. I make a lot of pesto and use fresh Basil in a lot of stir frys. I also have some green onions for my cooking. And mint for julep & mojitos =). Collards do really well late in the season. I had issues with small slugs stripping the leaves most of the summer. I might give green beans a try. Kind of depends what is available at the garden store when I start venturing out again - which could be weeks or months.
I haven't even decided what, if anything, I'll grow this year. Maybe just a couple things plus flowers to make things look nice. ? I was physically and mentally exhausted last year. ? Took the FUN out of it for sure. I may just do more rose and shrub cuttings for my landscape. ? A couple tomato plants and some basil and call it quits. Lol! ? I so went into the RED last year, on all levels! ?
-Dee

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
We've grown & tried quite a few herbs with his nibs, but he's a picky one, and cilantro is one of the few he'll eat. No need to grow it; $1 worth always outlasts rotting. I'd grow stuff if he'd eat it, but we have a short season, so everything is seasonal at best. :(

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":26e8xx56 said:
We've grown & tried quite a few herbs with his nibs, but he's a picky one, and cilantro is one of the few he'll eat. No need to grow it; $1 worth always outlasts rotting. I'd grow stuff if he'd eat it, but we have a short season, so everything is seasonal at best. :(
That and because it's by far the hardest herb I've grown.? Not to mention the cheapest to buy and if you cut a little off the stems and put it in a small glass of water with a loose plastic bag over it, it'll last for weeks, changing the water and trimming a couple times a week. I think we're trying to grow more stuff just in case. ? Its understandable. We have a need to feel prepared for the unknown. Makes it a little less scary. ?
I'm glad I have the stuff in my yard for Petey. Just like every other animal, including us, we may be spoiled now but we'll eat whatever is put in front of us if we're/they're hungry enough. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom