Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Well that just sucks! Sorry for you and Dev, hopefully you find a big that works. At least she gets ‘nanners and fancy salads! Do you have a roach colony already? We’ve only had one for about 2 months but it’s incredibly easy.

We haven’t got Mario to a vet yet, but that’s a first priority when all the craziness is over. No concerns so far, but I feel bad that he’s a little behind on getting his baseline “stats” down on paper.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the pinworms go away for good this time!

For my adults, I always just mainly used supers as a staple bug. Along with a little bit of variety every once in awhile.

I'm surprised you lasted this long with crickets. I hadn't touched crickets for 10 years. Then when I got Moro I decided to try them again. I really liked they actually, the dragons did too. Until the buggers managed to escape their bin and end up in my daughters room one night when my wife was in there getting her to sleep. That pretty much ended my cricket journey all over again lol.

Devlyn has got it good though!
Was dev showing symptoms of parasites, or was this just a fecal test just to see?

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Thanks for the concerns everyone.

Devlyn already has a dubia roach colony. I've been going easy on bugs lately because she is already a very good weight.

Hey Brandon, in the past week she has been a little slower and had trouble going poo. That's the real problem for her with pinworms. They can cause impaction and she gets that side effect from them. Her weight is up, probably because she hasn't had a complete poo in a week. The first banana bite got a poo from her within 24 hours. The second banana bite hasn't yielded a poo yet. I also need more F10 and this was not the time to run out. I'm going to go pretty gosh darn hardcore on cleaning. There will be a post infectious disease I put up. Basically I'm going to take everything out at night and give her a cardboard box to sleep in. She is pretty flexible with her enclosure so I think she can tolerate it short term

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have a steamer? Very effective and sanitizing and killing any nasties. It's what I used when one of my old girls had parasites.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Claudiusx":22s1vjtg said:
Do you have a steamer? Very effective and sanitizing and killing any nasties. It's what I used when one of my old girls had parasites.

-Brandon
Nope . At store right now looking at options

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Wow (this is a bad wow)

Got the Conair Turbo Extreme Steam Handheld Steamer. It seems like a well reviewed steamer for a respectable price. The big BUT is that the instructions are literally the worst instructions I have ever seen for anything.

First it was in a folded paper style which in and of itself is not an issue; the issue comes from the page order. The pattern is opens going in order of pages 1 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 10 - 11 -12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 .

Next reading all the instructions it has exactly 36 ways to say "this gets hot, lol, don't burn yourself yo". The actual words for how to use it... oh...I would say there weren't instructions on how to use it. Just lots of warnings that it gets hot. I've never used a steamer. I'm going to look up a video on YouTube because the instruction booklet was useless.

There are attachments. I put them on. I understand how to put them on. Why or how they work is a mystery to me.

I'm optimistic it should work well. It appears well made. Whoever wrote and designed that booklet should be punished, like go paint a hundred miles of fence by hand and think about what you've done!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DorgEndo":iu9riht3 said:
Scientific name: Blatta lateralis

The Turkish cockroach, the red runner because they are fast and rust colored. I was already researching them because I considered between them and dubia roaches at first. They grow faster than dubia. So that means more cleaning because they build up frass and any old roaches quicker. I've read people who have both online and they say the red runners can smell if you don't do some cleaning every 6 weeks or so. They need to be kept dry, which would work well for my house because it's dry so that should be okay. Water crystals for moisture, vegetables and/or roach chows. They have more protein than dubia which might be good for a younger growing beardie
Thank you for that info. I've never heard of them. Had I known they were a type of roach, I wouldn't have ask. LMAO! ? Yeah, I don't do roaches. Worms are good for us. ? But I appreciate the information, at least I'll know what they are when mentioned. ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
New instructions for the Conair Turbo Extreme Steam Handheld Steamer, courtesy of Dorg Endo

Power plug - The power plug is directional. This means one prong is wider than the other and will only insert into wall one way, do not force the plug into the wall. Unplug when not in use.

Water reservoir - Use the super obvious release button to release the reservoir. Displace the silicon plug and spill distilled water into the laughably small opening. Reinsert silicon plug. Reinstall water reservoir.

How to to use

1. Plug in device
2. Hit the power button
2A - Watch ready light blink for 40 seconds
2B - Ready light will turn solid, disregard package instructions that device is ready. Wait an additional 60 seconds
2C - After the 100 second wait your device is on and ready to use
3. The power setting is under the steam end of the steamer. This is a poor place to put that. Carefully select which power you want without burning your face off
4. Press Steam button and behold, it is steaming
5. Unplug after use, leave on flat surface to cool completely before putting away

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DorgEndo":lojur68q said:
New instructions for the Conair Turbo Extreme Steam Handheld Steamer, courtesy of Dorg Endo

Power plug - The power plug is directional. This means one prong is wider than the other and will only insert into wall one way, do not force the plug into the wall. Unplug when not in use.

Water reservoir - Use the super obvious release button to release the reservoir. Displace the silicon plug and spill distilled water into the laughably small opening. Reinsert silicon plug. Reinstall water reservoir.

How to to use

1. Plug in device
2. Hit the power button
2A - Watch ready light blink for 40 seconds
2B - Ready light will turn solid, disregard package instructions that device is ready. Wait an additional 60 seconds
2C - After the 100 second wait your device is on and ready to use
3. The power setting is under the steam end of the steamer. This is a poor place to put that. Carefully select which power you want without burning your face off
4. Press Steam button and behold, it is steaming
5. Unplug after use, leave on flat surface to cool completely before putting away
Have you contacted Conair to see if they'll pay you for an understandable instruction manual? Lol! ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please send them that LOL!

Does it actually produce a good amount of steam? Some steamers I've used in the past kind of just... well... leak warm misty air? out of them. The one I have now though does quite a good job. It also can be used to steam mop the floors so thats a plus.

Hope you end up liking it. It's nice not having to deal with chemicals IMO. Even vinegar I don't really like using with the dragons.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Added that as a review on Amazon. It'll appear under my husband's name because he set up that account. It's not up yet.

It steamed a lot. Next time I'll take pictures or videos for cleaning. It was very hot. I'm still not sure how long to hold over an area to sterilize. I've looked up YouTube videos and they are also awful, people just reading the instructions out loud. Maybe I can call Conair and ask them how to sanitize my log for my lizard. Oh I have to try that!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
No pics because that would be difficult

Devlyn has never fought so hard against getting her meds. I'm super happy she is feisty. She is still a nice girl who never tried to bite. After meds she stopped struggling and gave me a good hard judgement glare.

So I did one of my tricks of injecting a super worm with meds. A large superworm can mostly hold 1mL. The worm kinda gets coated in panacur as well. Devlyn does not mind the taste, she just doesn't want to eat from a syringe. She is due very much for a poop. Been a week since a poop, which isn't too long, but she is weighing about 25 grams more than I think she should so that is a lot of backed up poop my poor Devlyn.

Been doing daily baths.

For cleaning. The steamer does output steam with what seems pretty good. Doing more research online there are canister style steamers with a hose and handle. That would be more convenient because they hold more water. Have to refill the Conair at least 3 times to steam everything. I'm pulling some stuff out at night to bake in oven. If I steamed everything...it might take 8 refills.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Today I am playing Unusual Animal Friends on TV for Devlyn. I want to show her it's totally normal for all sort of animals to live together peacefully.

She still hasn't been up to old antics. We finished a 5 day round of 0.1 mL Panacur. Devlyn's normal vet was out last week. I haven't called her but I do want to continue another 5 day course 10 days from now. Since the Panacur doesn't kill eggs or early life stage larva that's why Panacur treatment benefits from repeating.

My husband has been too busy to take pictures of me using the steamer, but I do think it works well. Slow going. It definitely takes time and refills to get the job done. Got new bottles of F10 in the mail. Normally I rarely used it, so I think that habit needs to change and be more regular from now on. Devlyn's house is so clean
103228-3630726366.jpg
Devlyn is still low on poops. We going 10 days since last poop right now. I hope she poops today! Longest she ever went without a poo is 14 days. She is probably uncomfortable poor girl
103228-6433844738.jpg

Yesterday she was a bit more energetic. Not fully herself. Panacur is helping her. I risked getting pooped on my head because she decided to climb all over me which she never does. That was fun and I think she was enjoying herself too
103228-4234618051.jpg
103228-4599777819.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
When she gets a good poop out that will make a difference!

I also bought some supplies from beardeddragon.co as a be prepared thing. Got Eco Clean Concentrate, Coccicidal Concentrated Disinfectant Concentrate, Iodine, Activated Charcoal Suspension, New Zealand Makuna Honey, and Colloidal Silver 30ppm. Add that to my Silver Sulfadiazine, Polysporin, two F10 bottles, Conair steam cleaner, 2% Chlorhexidine gluconate, coban (vet tape), gauze, and...I think I have a tube of Lamisil somewhere but I can't find it right now.

My dragon first aid and cleaning supplies is really up to shape now.

EDIT - and aloe vera juice! Plus random syringe plungers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom