Extremely injured beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, so there are no head injuries then, but a cervical injury to some extent?
I am glad to hear he has been opening his eye though. Which antibiotic did the vet prescribe
to you? I hope he continues to improve.
Be sure that his basking spot is adjusted so he doesn't have to climb so much right now, just to
make it a little easier for him with his injuries.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
107762-3367970241.jpg

What’s this bump between his 2 back legs? He still uses them and he went to the bathroom yesterday. I have been giving him calcium powder in his food once a week long with vitamins.
He has been doing this thing we’re he starts to breathe heavy. As he sucks in his torso, he pushes out his bearded. Then sucks in his beard as he pushes out his torso. Yesterday and the day before when he would do that his stomach would bloat up and become heard. Sometimes he’ll do that for a few second then open his mouth really wide.
He’s been doing better, other then the stuff that has appeared in the past 2 days. still not eating solid food and I still have to hand feed him. Not much activity either. He hasn’t gained much weight since he’s just eating through a dropper. And he doesn’t want the dropper in his mouth anymore he likes when I just drop the food on his mouth and he’ll eat it then.
I hope the stuff that’s going on now isn’t another issue. Please help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
See if he will lick the food off a spoon and feed him 3 times per day small amounts- I am not sure how many times your feeding him -- as far as the two lumps your talking about I am cant see them - you might haft to post some better pictures and circle them as to what your referring to--- how is is eye doing ? Usually the puffing of the beard is them stretching it and is it possible hes going into shed? Its good to see that he is doing better to be honest I wasnt sure he was going to make it -- are you feeding him baby food and if so what ? Or did the vet give you some critical care herbivore or carnivore ?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My guess its from the injury he sustained from the older dragon --- I would have Tracie look at this and I am thinking I would get him back in and have Xrays done ---unless they were done already I was looking back at the previous post and didnt see it mentioned -- is he walking funny or dragging his legs?
Karrie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
He’s already been to a vet and they cannot do xrays on a baby his size. He is to small. He has been healing and doing better and that bump all the sudden appeared. I don’t think it’s an old injury from the other dragon at all. Only thing I’ve found was maybe impaction but I don’t see how since he’s on liquid foods right now and has repticarpet as substrate.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh dear did not know they could not do an x ray on him --- is he pooping? And yes I dont think hes impacted ---I am going to flag this post to Tracie so she will look at him --- I know shes been on here but I want her to make sure she looks at him to see what she thinks --- is he getting around ok?
Karrie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
107762-3306903136.jpg
107762-8170167757.jpg
I found another thing problem. This is coming out of his belly I’ve tried to soak him and get it off and it was not coming off. I used tweezers to pull at it and i believe it is something Coming out of his stomach because all of the skin around it pulled with it. I didn’t want to mess with it any further if it if it is actually coming from the inside of him. What could this be?
The pictures aren’t showing up very clear but it’s a small black bump that’s coming out of his stomach it has a little point to it

Update# it was a left over piece of umbilical cord and I got it out

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that he's doing a bit better ! But there still are some problems.....the heavy breathing + inflating throat is a Resp. infection coming on. Be sure his temps. re 105 in the basking spot with a cool side of about 82 and try to maintain it at 82 overnight . The lump on his back is from a calcium deficiency/MBD. If you are using calcium once a week that's not enough, he needs light calcium dusting every day. He needs a strong uvb as well so what type do you have. One more thing, never ever pull any piece f skin/flesh off of the ! You can open him up for an infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, calcium deficiency is usually the cause for humps on the backs other than an
injury.
Since he is so young, he will need calcium 4-5 days per week, as well as good UVB lighting,
too so it doesn't get worse.
Can you get a close up picture of that area on his tummy? Are you sure it isn't a tick or a mite
or something along those lines?
I would definitely try to keep him a little warmer in his tank overnight, to help his immune system,
too if he is developing a respiratory infection. Poor thing. So he has been getting a pretty good
amount of food lately, slurry wise?

Tracie

Jennavierenee

Original Poster
Yep the thing on his stomach was definitely a left over piece of umbilical cord. I was told it happens often because the pet store sold him way to young.

I have giving him lots more calcium am going to get liquid calcium drops tomorrow. When he first got injured I was giving it to him every other day but I didn’t want to give it to much so I cut it back to twice a week so that makes sense that it is the cause of the hump. If I start giving him more calcium will the bump go away? Could I put calcium Powder into water To make calcium liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom