Weird Throat Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincolnsmom

Hi- I called to schedule a vet appointment already so my beardie should hopefully get in in the next day or two, but regardless I could use any advice for the moment being:

Lincoln has been much darker the past few days and has been "black bearding" often. She finished shedding about two weeks ago and has continued to rub her throat aggressively on the surface of her rocks. Now, Lincoln goes through moments during the day where she rapidly puffs her beard and body as far as possible and strains her neck, as if something is caught in her throat. She has not lost her appetite, but she is somewhat less active and acts uncomfortable. Here is a short clip of one of her flaring episodes: https://youtu.be/I5NNy4tlcEs . She normally is very light in color and rarely black beards or puffs her beard at me. This is the first time I have seen her act this way. She is just over 2 years old and I rescued her 5 months ago. I am concerned she may have something in her throat or a respiratory infection-but she does not have any other breathing troubles. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How often is Lincoln flaring like that? That is a relatively common type of behavior, but if she
is black bearding a lot, she may not be feeling 100%. Does she cough or wheeze at all?
If she has a respiratory infection, you would most likely see her breathing oddly or possibly
some mucous in her nose or mouth. They can do what you call a forced exhalation too, like
a loud wheeze, etc.
What is her appetite like?
What kind of foods is she eating?

Tracie

lincolnsmom

Original Poster
Drache613":1otcyiu0 said:
Hello,

How often is Lincoln flaring like that? That is a relatively common type of behavior, but if she
is black bearding a lot, she may not be feeling 100%. Does she cough or wheeze at all?
If she has a respiratory infection, you would most likely see her breathing oddly or possibly
some mucous in her nose or mouth. They can do what you call a forced exhalation too, like
a loud wheeze, etc.
What is her appetite like?
What kind of foods is she eating?

Tracie

Hi,
She does it about 1 to 2 times a day. She hasn't been coughing or wheezing though and she''s been eating her normal daily salad and crickets. I took her to the vet today just in case and according to her x-ray, there is nothing in her throat but she does have quite a few eggs that are soon to be laid! The eggs are looking healthy inside of her and the vet suggested that her odd behavior may be attributed to her preparing to lay. I have her lay box all set up, so hopefully she will pass them soon. Thanks!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh of course!
If she has a large clutch of eggs taking up her belly/coelomic cavity then they are most likely
pressing on her lungs which is affecting her breathing & probably her digesting some also.
Is she doing any better today?
That's great you already have a laybox up & ready for her. I hope she doesn't have any issues
with laying, it will tire her out. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom