Keeping a bearded dragon outside in SoCal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillyglue

Hi everyone! I’m curious if bearded dragons can stay outside year round in Southern California. I’m in Pasadena which is a bit inland. I imagine they would naturally brumate in the winter? I have an enclosed 16 x 40 foot garden where my tortoises live year round. Thoughts? Thank you!!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there!

Welcome to the site :)

Even So-Cal isn't really suitable for them to be outdoors year round. It doesn't get hot enough for most of the year for them to bask properly. Plus, lizards face predators that tortoises don't have to worry about, such as birds.

Having an outdoor enclosure for the dragon when weather is good is an option, but it definitely can't be a permanent home, and the dragon would likely still need to come inside to bask and warm up unless it was a hot day.

-Brandon

Sillyglue

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for your quick reply. Yea that’s unfortunately what a lot of care sheets say but I’m confused because they’re from a part of Australia that has similar climate to mine (winter nights go below 50, which is when they brumate). Just curious why they doesn’t apply for bearded dragons as pets. Thank you for the clarification!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom