Swollen leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronoiiel

Wondering if this looks swollen to anyone else? Im struggling finding a vet in my are as almost all have stopped seeing reptiles due to covid :( any advice would be appreciated.
60731-7380379252.jpg

Set up: 40gal tank
Temps are good tsken with probes
T8u 10.0 uvb mounted under hood need replaced next month
Eats greens and veggies great
Primary diet dubias and bsfls
Roughly 6ish months old?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is that the only arm that looks that way?

It definitely looks swollen.

He didn't injure it recently?

It could be the start of gout.

How many dubias would you say he eats a day?
What do you feed your dubias?

Does he ever get supplemental water? Either by dripping on nose or spraying down his salad well before he eats it?

-Brandon

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Crap. Thank you so much.

Yes she gets water in her baths and I spray salads heavy in morning and afternoon.

No injuries. She did have a bit of impaction last week and dehydration we have been working on.

She is a heavy eater probaby 60 to 80 each feeding. Honestly she always eats alot we gl through 600 in less than a week. She gets roaches once a day unless I am out of bsfls. Her roaches are fed with carrots and squash and the roach food dubiroaches.com sells.

This is her other front leg none of the others seems swollen. She is just starting shed but Im not this is related to that.

60731-5914151817.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok so she's definitely getting too many dubia roaches.
Especially if you are feeding the dubia roaches a high protein diet.

Does she drink in the bath? They don't actually get hydration from baths unless they actually drink.

Dubia roaches are very high in Uric acid content. Pair that with your dragon being dehydrated the other week - gout is the most likely cause of the swelling.

I would definitely cut out the dubias completely for a bit at least to see if it helps to swelling go down. Keep the hydration up. You can also give her black cherry extract. It helps fight gout symptoms.

Dubias are an ok feeder, but they really need to be fed in moderation, alongside other insects, and the dubias need to be fed a lower protein diet. Otherwise, the risk for gout is much higher, especially in dragons that eat a large quantity of them.

The other leg doesn't really look swollen, more so just meaty.

Naturally, gout can't be diagnosed just by looking at pictures. It typically needs blood work to be diagnosed if there are no other symptoms such as obvious pain in the joint. However, it would be prudent to cut back on the dubia now, and always keep your dragon hydrated to prevent the gout from either getting worse, or developing in the future.

-Brandon

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Ok thank you so much! She does drink in her baths so I may increase them to every day for a bit then.
Im trying to get ahold of a vet outside my city that.might see reptiles right now but until then I will deffinitely cut her dubias out. She pigs on them in her 10min feedings. Where can I get black cherry extract? Can I just add that as a topper to her salads? I try to rotate her bugs but all I get are crickets a few times a week and her bsfls and dubias. Should I add other bugs while I cut the dubias out for a bit? Idk what else to add. I really appreciate the advice and confirmation it is swollen. Luckily it doeant pain her right now so I am hoping we caught this early enough.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Oh thank you!!! I will order some she hasnt had those before. Been thinking of ttying them. So with silk worms is there a rule of how mnay to feed? Since she is still a juvenile i let her eat for 10mins twice a day. Her bsfls she eats around 80 or so. She loves her bugs like crazy. Would ahe eat the same amount of silkies? Just trying to figure how many I should order.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Heavens no on the 80 amount of silkies :)--- she would probably eat 3-4 depending on size- they grow to a little less size of a horn worm - horn worms get huge so when you order the silkies- order small size so you can grow them out--- make sure you get food for them and clean out the frass or poop every day or other day-- I ordered 50 of them this week but I am feeding 2 dragons--- try them out and see how she likes them most dragons like them
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Lol oh dear thank you for the advice! Its so confusing to feed her for 10 mins but then she eats so many! So is it ok to leave her a bit hungry after feesings now thst she is about 6 months old? Is 50 or so bsfls to much in a feeding to?

Ok ordered some small ones and food for them! Also ordered some black cherry powder from bug-delite so hopefully I can get her swollen leg under control again. Witj silk worms do they need dusting? You both are life savers thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont dust them since I am also feeding dubias and those are the only thing I dust w/ calcium and vitamins alternating between the two -- I would cut back on the BSFL and feed on top of the salads as a salad topper and feed the silkies 3-4 depending on the size if they are small feed maybe 6 then offer the roaches by then she may be too full to eat them - but lay off the roaches for awhile as suggested and feed the silkies -- you will haft to look at the worms when they come in --- I only used BSFL as a lure to the salad bowls for my dragons and not as staple feeder so I never worried about how many they were getting - it was an added supplement- and lure to bowl -
Karrie

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Awesome thank you so so much for this advice. I will begin adjusting her bugs then! I greqtly appreciate all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom