Hates Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
I'm just grateful that my boy is adult and doesn't need massive amounts of protein daily. I think I would HAVE to have a dubia colony if I had a baby Dragon, only way I could afford to feed it. As much as I'm against it, I'd do it, if it was necessary. I'd hate it but I'd do it. ? lol! ?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Bsfl are good for smaller dragons but really not feasible for larger as they are so small it takes A LOT to feed a larger dragon----- the silk worms are good and full size it would take 3-4 to fill up a dragon
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":15sw4plm said:
Bsfl are good for smaller dragons but really not feasible for larger as they are so small it takes A LOT to feed a larger dragon----- the silk worms are good and full size it would take 3-4 to fill up a dragon
Karrie
Do silkworms grow large like hornworms or as fast? Just curious, I haven't fed either. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":1nlm0dqs said:
Silks are much smaller than hornworms but do grow quickly with regular feedings.
Silks are much bigger than supers but smaller than horns correct? Are there any other larger worms, like in the silk to horn size?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Silks are around the same size as supers maybe a bit smaller/shorter. They are much softer though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have picky dragons so I feed silk along w/ dubias -- Hiccup wont eat super meal or wax worms--- he will eat horn silk and butter worms and dubias--- Blaze wont eat meal or wax worms but will eat butter horn silk and super worms and both are tired of BSFL -- so I am buying worms all the time or so it seems and Blaze loves his dubias
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":1pxnf38z said:
Silks are around the same size as supers maybe a bit smaller/shorter. They are much softer though.
Oh! Ok. ? I was thinking silks were much larger than supers. So there really isn't anything between silks and horns and there's a major size difference between them? ? hmmmm.
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":1g3x9x6i said:
I have picky dragons so I feed silk along w/ dubias -- Hiccup wont eat super meal or wax worms--- he will eat horn silk and butter worms and dubias--- Blaze wont eat meal or wax worms but will eat butter horn silk and super worms and both are tired of BSFL -- so I am buying worms all the time or so it seems and Blaze loves his dubias
Karrie
Omg how do you keep track? Lol! ? Good thing there are so many options huh?
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's pretty easy -- they get quite a buffet along w/ different salad stuff right now they're getting greens along w/ yellow and butter nut squash w/ some shredded raw sweet potato on top along the worms -
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not that I've found anyway. Adult hornworms are huge (but soft and easy to chew down). They are the size of my thumb at least. A large silk worm gets maybe a couple of inches long. Intermediate sized dubia roaches are the only thing I've offered in between the two sizes. There are a LOT of options out there though, so I'm sure I haven't even heard of many of them.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
KarrieRee":3rzyjcqe said:
It's pretty easy -- they get quite a buffet along w/ different salad stuff right now they're getting greens along w/ yellow and butter nut squash w/ some shredded raw sweet potato on top along the worms -
Karrie
I had to toss Petey's kale yesterday, started molding. ?Will have to make a run to the store but not right this minute, later or tomorrow.
Today he'll have a salad of dandelion, leaf and flower, cilantro, yellow squash and green bean. Maybe pick a small rose and add a couple petals. Or some wild mint. Tried red rose yesterday, which he ate 1 petal from my hand but didn't touch another petal. ? I still have pink and lilac color. Maybe he'll like one of those. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
CooperDragon":3g0obvw0 said:
Not that I've found anyway. Adult hornworms are huge (but soft and easy to chew down). They are the size of my thumb at least. A large silk worm gets maybe a couple of inches long. Intermediate sized dubia roaches are the only thing I've offered in between the two sizes. There are a LOT of options out there though, so I'm sure I haven't even heard of many of them.
Thanks hon! At least I learned something. I'm sure OP did too. ?
-Dee

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ziranos":20uv6j6s said:
Surprised that no one has mentioned black soldier fly larvae (aka. phoenix worms, repti worms, calci worms). That is definitely the feeder OP is looking for, they're very nutritious, a great staple, they don't even need to be dusted with calcium. Would be my go to if they sold them in my country!

I love feeding dubias, but OP lives in Florida, a state where dubia roaches are illegal.
My dragon doesn't seem as interested in crickets as he used to be, so I might switch over to exclusively dubias, as I too have started loathing the little cricket dirtbags. Noisy, smelly, they bite, and they will jump all over the place unless I pull of their legs, which I find disgusting, because then they'll bleed all over instead.

Dubias are ILLEGAL here?!?! Lol they are probably like "yeah we got enough roaches!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom