Film In Bearded Dragon's Ear Broken!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for about 2 weeks now my Beardie has been going through a shed cycle. She pretty much shed everything like she normally would, but there was a certain bit of shed around the inside of her left ear that she simply couldn't get off. Everytime I put her in the bath she would have many seemingly futile attempts at scratching it off with her leg or arm.

When bathing her today I noticed that when attempted to scratch the shed of that she instead punctured a border around the bottom end of the film in her ear. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that when she made this hole that the shed in question got wedged behind the film of the ear. By lightly brushing the tip of the shed with my finger I confirmed that it was most likely impossible for the shed to be taken out without also taking the film out.

Currently the film is still inside her ear but it's noticeably been pushed farther out then it should be.

Anybody have any thoughts on what I should do?

ZolloKaptain

Original Poster
103409-481474083.jpg
This is a photo of what the damaged ear looks like, it's difficult to get the right lighting, but I think this shows it well enough

In comparison, this is an image of her other ear which looks completely normal.
103409-6759440182.jpg

ZolloKaptain

Original Poster
I have seen that thread. The reason I'm concerned is because the retained shed in this case is lodged behind the film in the ear, which means that it's very likely that if she sheds that piece she will also be taking the film off of her ear.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The membrane is pretty thin, but it is rather tough.
I concur, there isn't much a vet would do or could do, because you can't really cover it at all
but just let it heal or shed as it is going to.
Does it seem to bother him at all?

Tracie

ZolloKaptain

Original Poster
Well, she does seem fairly aggravated that she can't shed that piece from her ear, but also touching the shed seems to cause her some slight discomfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom