Drama King and his new Terrarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Talking about my beardie I got as a runt, decided to be force fed the first two months then grew to a behemoth 27"!

Of course his old terrarium did not fit. So I built him a new one, he seemed to really like it at first. Then he suddenly started hiding. A lot. Not brumating, just hiding. So I started freaking out a bit.

Well my roommate said she kept hearing scratching. Which I thought was kind of weird. Then one day checked, sure enough he had been scratching at one small spot on the roof of his hide that had some of the old excavator clay left.

I don't want him destroying the enclosure, so I put a box of the excavator clay in his new Terrarium. Well guess who decided to start roaming around his terrarium no more than five minutes after!

Anyone ever seen this happen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for lighting? UVB? Are you sure it's a male and not female that is gravid?
Karrie

Steamturtle

Original Poster
Full spectrum lighting, I kept the lighting setup as near identical as I could and the temps are being monitored. As for an I sure...well he has a very black beard and doesn't seem to be carrying any eggs, and the vet I take him to told me he was male so... I doubt I would end up with more than one hermaphrodite dragon in my lifetime(my first was a hermaphrodite).

I am using two hood lights with bulbs, as well as a heat/basking hood.

The hoods are two Thrive 20" light strips with Thrive 18" UVB bulbs, the Zilla dual low profile reptile terrarium fixture with a heat bulb in one side and a uvb basking light on the other side.
There is also a heat pad with a thermometer shut off that turns it in and off periodically, the thermometer shut off is set to 100°.

The hottest side reaches no higher than 106°, tends to range from 106-99 and the cooler side is 84° average.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your set up sounds nice w/ the exception of those thrive UVB's -- I would keep the fixtures but change out those bulbs for Reptisun bulbs--- they are a better bulb--- the black beard could be a mating thing- but it does not sound good-- do you have more than one dragon ? Do you have the T 8's inside the tank? Heat pads are not recommended- are you using at nite to keep tank warm? How old are the UVB bulbs?
Karrie

Steamturtle

Original Poster
The UVB bulbs are only two months old. And yeah, the heating pad only comes on at night - we usually have the air conditioning on and I worry it gets too cold. I have the thermometer shutoff situated right above with insulation and grout between him and the pad.

The black beard could be breeding - I had him out earlier and he ran directly to the window and started bobbing. We have absolutely no lizards or other creatures that he was bobbing at, but who knows.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get rid of the heating pad and invest in a ceramic heat emitter--- if your tank is falling below 65 at nite then you could use it - dragons like it dark and cool to sleep-- it slows their metabolism for a better sleep-- you are using digital probe thermometers and not stick ons- it's possible he saw his reflection that would cause the black bearding- and the head bobbing as well
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom