Stunted beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I hope you are staying inside and staying healthy due to coronavirus. I’ve had my beardie around a year and 3 months now, and I got her as a baby. She hasn’t really grown since November of 2019 and she seems a little in proportional to be an adult. Here’s a pic.
107850-2786616953.jpg
Could she have parasites or am I just overreacting and she’s perfectly healthy? Let me know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well it is hard to say --- all beardies grow at their own rate - kinda like humans we are built differently but w/ the proper lighting and diet they will get to their full potential --- I was noticing the loose substrate she is on -- that I would change out --- for one it can cause internal damage if ingested -- what size tank is she in-- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot etc its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle --- and insects cannot get underneath --- what kind of UVB are you using for her -- why do you think she has parasites? If you tell us a little about her set up we can help
Karrie

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
She is in a 40 gallon tank. She is getting uva and uvb from her lamp and her basking spot is around 103 degrees Fahrenheit. Her substrate is terra Sahara which is this neat substrate that keeps the tank very dry and controls humidity very well. She doesn’t eat any of the substrate and her poops are normal looking, however not consistent which is strange because she has normal temperatures and should be digesting her food properly. I don’t know much about pinworms but I’ve heard they mess up the digestive tract pretty bad, so I was assuming that was it. Not sure if this matters but her uvb bulb is coiled, it isnt one of those ones that is all along the tank. That’s about all, I feed her crickets as her staple, and sometimes Dubias. She eats everyday and I switch between veggies like carrots and greens + squash. She has access to water as well. She also gets supplemented by some calcium powder that I have once a week. That’s about all I think, but if there’s anything I didn’t cover let me know, and I’ll get back to you ASAP.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a coil ? Does it look like this ? https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5195503
If it does its no good--- we just dont recommend loose substrate on this forum simply because of the ingestion risks--- undigested food is usually caused by not high enough basking temps - the loose poops and inconsistent can be caused by not enough UVB or improper UVB --- and if your using a coil UVB that would or can be the cause - it is possible for her to have parasites as well -
Karrie

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
No, I’ve been informed that those ones are no good. Mine looks like this:
107850-9760021572.jpg
. I’m dumping out her loose substrate now, and will probably replace it with a reptile carpet. We’ll see what happens. Do you have any idea where I can get a super intense light bulb for her?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a new basking bulb from PetSmart - Exo Terra bulb I would start w/ a 100 watt or what ever your using now wattage wise I dont think your basking bulb is the issue if you have basking temps of 103 --- but you need a good UVB that is a coil and a huge issue--- here is some info on the UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- if you need help finding this or setting it up please ask --- your dragon has basically been getting no UVB at all w/ the coil--- you need to get a fixture w/ a reflector and its up to you to get the T 5 or the T 8 personally I would go w/ the T 5 and you will need a fixture of 24" -- I dont know if you want to order that on line or try to get in the store -- alot of stores dont carry the 24" fixture but will carry the 20" -- a T 5 bulb will not fit into a 18" fixture -- this would be a reason why shes not growing -- to be honest I am surprised shes still eating --- it will effect that as well
Karrie

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I will fix her lighting issue. She’s about 15 months now, do you think that she will continue growing once her uvb is working again? Again I can’t thank you enough.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I hope so --- they grow usually to the age of 2 -- some grow really fast and reach their goal early some take until they are 2 -- once she starts shedding again shes growing --- but the main thing is you want to ward off MBD and that is what the UVB is for along w/ the help of her digesting the calcium she is getting - I would be dusting her insects w/ Calcium D3 every time you feed insects - and also I would switch to the dubias and get rid of the crickets all together - they can cause parasites -- and make sure shes getting her salads every day -- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
the dubias are a better feeder more nutrition wise and they are easier to care for than crickets -- you can keep roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food or food your feeding your dragon they like squash and carrots for hydration -- if you need websites for them let me know and also let me know what bulb your end up w/ for the UVB and I can help you get it placed
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your dragon looks alert , healthy and good body shape. :) So like Karrie mentioned, they all ggrow at different rates and to different sizes. What are her weight + length ? BTW, I wanted to mention that the Retiglo tube bulb IS a decent bulb and does not cause eye problems. The 10.0 is very comparable to the Reptisun 10.0 t8 and works well at a distance of 8-10 ". I've used the Exo terra Reptiglo for years with no problems, as well as the Reptisun.

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
Ok I’m going to buy the t5. The one that I’m getting is 12 inches, what kind of fixture do I need to get to fit that? Or should I try to find an 18 inch one?

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
AHBD":2xn0itv8 said:
Your dragon looks alert , healthy and good body shape. :) So like Karrie mentioned, they all ggrow at different rates and to different sizes. What are her weight + length ? BTW, I wanted to mention that the Retiglo tube bulb IS a decent bulb and does not cause eye problems. The 10.0 is very comparable to the Reptisun 10.0 t8 and works well at a distance of 8-10 ". I've used the Exo terra Reptiglo for years with no problems, as well as the Reptisun.
Hi, thank you for the input. She is a perky one :) . I wanted to let you know that she is on a towel now instead of her loose substrate.
107850-6853774972.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can use paper towels to till you get something else-- keep us posted w/ the UVB so we can help place the T 5 -- you have options of where you want it
Karrie

CalderDempsey

Original Poster
107850-7415233780.jpg
she now has a t5 uvb 22 inch bulb on her cage. I’ve heard that mesh can block up to 30% of the rays. Is this correct, or do I not have to worry about that because the holes in my mesh are quite large. It looks like she’s beginning another shed as well. She’s had the UVB bulb for about 4 days now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 5 is fine on top but you need a piece of decor sitting directly underneath- approx 8-10 inches and yes the screen filters out 30% of those rays
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom