Bearded dragon arm flailing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jongupeu

Hey guys, my little one is almost 2 years old now, but today his arm just started flailing randomly, and now he's been doing it pretty frequently for over 2 hours. After it happens, he licks or tries to bite his arm. It's been the same arm continuously, and I'm worried that he might be having seizures?

https://youtu.be/MH_ogjwqj-k

This is pretty much what he's been doing. It doesn't really seem voluntary and it started just today. Can someone help me?

Ramsey58

Is the video sped up? Do you have another beardie? Do you have any other pets?

I ask because arm waving is a common behavior in many bearded dragons, however the waving I've seen is usually much slower than that. Typically you see it because they are acknowledging the presence of another bearded dragon, or because they are showing submission to a larger bearded dragon or another larger animal.

Hope this helps ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Boy Tracie or AHDB is gonna haft to look at this --- it looks like he trying to get something off - like something is stuck to his arm --- lets see what they think
Karrie

jongupeu

Original Poster
Ramsey58":1zpmbbgh said:
Is the video sped up? Do you have another beardie? Do you have any other pets?

I ask because arm waving is a common behavior in many bearded dragons, however the waving I've seen is usually much slower than that. Typically you see it because they are acknowledging the presence of another bearded dragon, or because they are showing submission to a larger bearded dragon or another larger animal.

Hope this helps ?

Hi, thanks for replying! The video is not sped up and I do not have any other pets. It seems more as if he's trying to fling something off of him? I'm worried that it's not a voluntary action because he seems somewhat confused by his own arm and tries to nip at it after it happens.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What kind of lighting are you using and especially the UVB-- tube or coil?
Karrie

jongupeu

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ct6kr2y said:
Boy Tracie or AHDB is gonna haft to look at this --- it looks like he trying to get something off - like something is stuck to his arm --- lets see what they think
Karrie

That's what I was thinking as well! He almost seems somewhat confused by his arm doing that as well, so I'm concerned it might be some kind of mini-seizure? I've had him on a Powersun MVB 100W for over a year now (I last replaced it in September of last year), and he just started doing this today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
From what I understand the MVB do not provide enough UVB --- so this could be an issue--- but I want Tracie or AHBD to see what they think ----
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is an odd motion but I have seen that type of action before.
You are using the Powersun MVB? They do provide adequate UVB, some more than others
but after a year or so I would definitely replace it. So it is only 6 or so months old?
What type of supplementation have you been using?
Has it been placed on top of a screen & at what distance?
It could be metabolic bone disease possibly but not sure though. Were you doing something
that might have been bothering him? It did appear he was trying to brush something off of
his side at that time.
How many times has he done this?

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry I didn't see this until now. I've seen this before as well. It's generally this is a sign that something is irritating that leg. Is he walking O.K ? If you can, get a good look at his foot, the bottoms , the toes, etc. to see if he has even a small sore somewhere. I doubt it's MBD related and sometimes this can be temporary but for now I suspect a small wound possibly. Probably will not be anything serious but at times beardies DO bite their own foot or tail end if something irritates them enough which then could be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom