Charlie worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Hey guys - I'm starting to worry about Charlie. I expected him to be off for a while. Well, he's dark almost all the time now. He won't eat. He feels lighter (my scale is broken so I can't weigh him). Worse part, I've already had 2 major surgeries on my dog and one of my cats in the last 3 months (dentals with infected teeth...the cat was very unexpected as she lost a tooth and had no other signs).

Now it's even harder to do anything do to isolation. I have asthma and MS, I can't go anywhere. I'm so worried guys. I have plans to make a huge double le enclosure - 5 feet by 3 wide by 2 or 3 high for each boy (double tall). Charlie's will be on top so he can look our the window (his fav thing).

I ordered groceries but Charlie won't touch the greens. I ordered his bok choy, I'm laying supers right under his nose. Nothing. He did drink some water today, so that is a good thing.

Any advise is so appreciated.

Thank you,
Gwen

Ps Carl is doing great...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Charlies lighting please tell us what you have and where in the tank it is --- how old is the UVB? What other staple feeder are you feeding? You can order dubias on line along w/ super worms if you need to -- hes dark ? meaning the whole body or just the beard? Post a pic of Charlie
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
His bulb was bought in Dec, T5 desert uvb, lots of calcium, fussy eater, loves supers, hates everything. Pretty sure I clued in to with what is wrong. His screen door was broken. I always leave it open as he loves to wander...I think he got his foot caught as his left hind foot looks wrong...swollen.
87171-9685164629.jpg
87171-4495109711.jpg

FYI - I've been on the board for years, just not always vocal. I'm in Canada, in other words - no dubias, they are illegal (sucks). He can't be bothered to chase crickets, I have lots of supers he just won't eat and the only online shop can't mail feeders right now thanks to covid (ugh). He loves hornworms and did eat 1 last week...but he normally would eat 4 (special once a month treat as they are not nutritious). I was debating making an emergency trip to petsmart and buying their crappy little ones (hornworms). After some mommy cuddles and a long bath his body colour went back to normal, but his beard was still dark. And yes, his whole body was dark, very dark; that's highly unusual for him. Even tho he's a cranky boy, he's usually pretty content.

Wish i could build the new enclosure this week, it would help. L

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok Tracie or ahbd is gonna haft to look at his foot- the T 5 you have it where in the tank or on top of screen? Are you ordering from the worm lady in Canada? How long was Charlie dark? Was he under his basking light when he was dark? If he was he was absorbing heat
Karrie

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
The T5 is inside not far from him, he stays on his basking rock, barely moves off of it. Pretty sure my baby is in pain. Ugh. No, I used to order from the worm lady but had some, uh, issues with her...I usually get from East Coast Exotics but their next delivery to my area isn't until the 19th and they aren't able to mail. He's been dark like that for at least a week. Maybe two. I thought he was cranky over Carl (foster rescue, he's a 9 year old underweight boy who's doing fantastic now). But I literally just clued in after posting that Charlie's foot looks swollen. My poor boy ☹

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My guess he's dark because he's in pain-- I am going to flag this post to Tracie and ahbd
Karrie

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thank you. I do have metacam here (from when my cat had her surgery) and have dosed a former rescue before. I would need to figure out the dose. Ugh.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ask Tracie she is the vet moderator --- send her a PM so she can see it tonite she is usually on at nite --- give her Charlies weight if you have it
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry about your boy, Charlie. It does sound more like an injury than gout, hopefully!
You mentioned he may have gotten his foot caught in the door of his enclosure?
How long ago was that?
They do alright on Metacam, short term. I can help dose it for him, if you wanted to get
him started on a short regime for him to help with pain. What concentration or strength of
solution do you have? I just need his weight to dose properly for him.
Have you double checked his temperatures in his tank to make sure that they are optimal
for him for basking?
The T5 should be 10 or so inches from him, is it closer than that to him?

Tracie

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Hi Tracie,

Yes, I'm thinking in the last 2 weeks...my 6 year old son accidentally stepped through the screening (Charlie's door is never closed, he used it like a ramp). I didn't put two and two together until yesterday after I posted. He hasn't been coming out of his enclosure like he normally does.

I managed to weigh him (and made him super cranky) this morning, he weighs 530g, temps during the day are 103, night time 80 - 83, I have a temperature controlled small dog heating pad in there too as I was worried with the door open he wasn't getting warm enough (hence the need for a new enclosure). The T5 is about 9 inches from him.

Here is what I have for meds on hand (fyi - although grumpy, he looked more alert this morning).
87171-1378907408.jpg
87171-4622554202.jpg
87171-8669451670.jpg

I added in the Gabapentin just in case, though I've read it's efficacy in beardies hasn't been studied enough. It was given as an anti-inflammatory/pain med for my cat in February for her dental extractions (she lost one canine and after x-ray the vet saw the other 3 canines were in bad shape at the root! You couldn't visually see the damage, poor baby girl).

Anyway, if you could help me help Charlie, I would be so so grateful! He's only 3, I want to have him around for a VERY long time! <3

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
So yesterday and today I gave Charlie 0.2mg of metacam. He lightened up. Then I gave him a soak today and he was staring to poop to the point of exhaustion ☹ he spent the rest of his day sleeping after I syringe fed his a slurry of fruits, veg, with added calcium and I syringed water too. His colour looks better, but my anxiety is high and I'm scared of losing my baby

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's possible that his foot is bothering him some as was already mentioned. When you say he was trying to poo, was he able to ? Or was he straining hard + then gave up ? And are you positive that he's IS a he ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'm pretty sure it's his foot - he doesn't like me touching it. He was straining and gave up - seemed a bit better this morning, but still won't eat. But he's not as dark! Positive he's male - seminal plugs and all...

I'm going to wait a bit then try another bath for him. I want to get him hornworms as they seem to stimulate his appetite, or usually do. Maybe I'm just over-reacting. He's never brumated - honestly, none of my beardies have ever brumated :roll:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes they go in to a brumation type phase if they don't feel well. As for the straining to poo, pain meds. almost always cause constipation in humans so this might be the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom