why is he suddenly so aggressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
all of the sudden, in the past 2 weeks my beardie has been extremely aggressive towards me, and today he even bit me when i was just trying to pick hkm up and give him crickets. would anyone know why? i have videos, idk how to post them

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is the dragon? Go over the lighting and basking temps--- bulbs what are they tube or coil ? where in the tank top of screen or inside the tank? how are you taking basking temps? Is there another dragon in the house? Is he head bobbing? You can post a link from Youtube
Karrie

stellaknoop

Original Poster
He is about 6months old, and he has correct temperature...I just checked. My lights are bulbs- he's always had bulbs. they are 100ww because I have him on 75ww but he was always pitch black, he's not black anymore and is more active. I did also just get him a new 40 gallon with a styrofoam background around January. he is the only dragon and he has been living across from a leopard gecko and 2 ADF with no problems.I haven't seen him head bob yet. https://youtu.be/EfsdmW80mdw

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok bulbs arent telling me anything for UVB-- the lighting in the tank plays a huge role in their behavior-- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? If your using Stick Ons they are inaccurate-- approach him from the side and not over head - the egg crate you were using to coak him is scarring him and hes going to flare up -- was he not aggressive before meaning you could pick him up w/ no problems and now out of the blue he just started this? If this is the case something has changed -- any cats or dogs in the house? Is he by a window that he can see birds -- can he see his reflection? The background was changed in Jan now we are into April so that wouldnt be it -- that would not have taken this long to start -- what are 2 ADF's?
Karrie

stellaknoop

Original Poster
I'm not using stick on temps, im using a suction thing. His temp is 91F and the humidity is 37%. The egg crate he has seen before- they are in the cricket box that I put him in to eat. And yes. I would be able to put him on my shoulder and have him there all day, and now all of the sudden he's so aggressive! I've never ever seen him like this. He has one of those wallpapers where I noticed he mostly saw his reflection, and he can't see it anymore. He's also in the same spot he's always been, on a shelf. ADFs are African Dwarf Frogs ^^

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Bulb???? What is it and where in the tank is it? on top of screen or inside the tank?
These two things I keep asking about ARE the MOST important things in that tank - they control behavior--- digestion--- prevent MBD --- and all other health issues ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you using a coil UVB --- a 13 watt to be exact your dragon is basically getting NO UVB and that would be a reason for the behavior change --- yep thats what I thought ------------- you need to ditch that thing --- they are bad news ---- you need this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- if you need help on getting this please ask ---the Reptisun is one of the best on the market at this time
This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average.
Karrie

stellaknoop

Original Poster
thats what I use- a reptile sun 10.0 and he seems fine, therefore I don't think it is the uvb. I got him from a breeder who also gave me the uvb, a water bowl and some calcium (it was for new bearded dragon owners). the breeder was yellow room reptiles, so its nothing about the uvb and heating..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Roll over image to zoom in
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp, slide 1 of 4
Slide 2 of 4
Slide 3 of 4
video, Slide 4 of 4video
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp, 13-Watt
These are the worst on the market that I have seen so far --- it wont be long and he will quit eating and get sicker and sicker if you dont change it out -- I cannot stress this enough -- the aggressive behavior is only the beginning -- too many have died under thus light
Karrie

SPandS

Juvie Member
Clearly he isn't fine otherwise you wouldn't have come here asking about him. Poking him in the face with something that he obviously doesn't like to be poked with I'm sure isn't helping the situation and I would also get aggressive too. If you want help from us you really need to work with us a little better. We can't see what you see so you have to tell us, exactly what we ask for otherwise we can't help. We are all here because we love bearded dragons and want the best for all of them.

stellaknoop

Original Poster
i know it isnt his light. it has to be something else, because his lights are fkne ive had him since last year and i havent changed them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well the coil is no good thats all I can tell you--- I know what works and what doesnt work and that coil light you have is going to kill your dragon--- others on here are going to agree w/ me about that coil --- if your using the coil in a tank that is 20 gallon or less that would be ok anything bigger they coil does not illuminate for the tank of bigger size --- UVB bulbs expire---- and the coil should be replaced w/ what I recommended in my earlier post
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom