New Bearded Dragon Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassy0704

Hi, just trying to get some questions answered. I did months or researching before getting my bearded dragon. Her name is Eleanor. She wasn't in the best environment when I got her, she was purchased from petsmart. I got her March 27th. She has since began to gain some weight and start turning orange (she was darker when we got her) I am starting to notice shes changing color everywhere but looks like her tail isnt. Any advice would be appreciated. She is a juvenile in a 40 gallon tank. We are giving her small crickets and her veggies and fruit with calcium. She has a basking light and a uvb bulb as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They shed at different areas so I am guessing its shed but we would need to see a picture of her first
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic---- also if you can tell us what your using for he UVB brand and bulb that would be great as well
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh my shes a little thing ---- its still hard to tell but I am gonna say its shed --- can you get a better picture of her--- usually they turn different colors like gray or maybe opaque -- the tank set up what are you using for a UVB ? NO coils!!!!!!!!!!! you need a tube if you have a coil--- the Reptisun 100 watt is a basking bulb --- thats good but I need to know UVB very important here
Karrie

Cassy0704

Original Poster
We have both the Repti Basking spot lamp and the reptisun on it. I will get into looking for the uvb lighting!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that is shed --- Here is some info on UVB and is what is recommended on this forum
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
This is without a doubt, one of the most trusted if not THEE most trusted UVB bulb on the market right now for bearded dragons. This fluorescent light will provide an adequate amount of UVB for most enclosures and will last anywhere from 6 to 12 months on average. Please let me know if you need help finding this or setting it up after you get it and any other help w/ feeding tips etc....
Karrie

Cassy0704

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help! I was really worried about her tail. Currently looking into getting her the uvb needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom