A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
+1 That 1st pic of Wilbur is hysterical! ? Always amazes me the positions they get in, even more so, the ones they find comfy to sleep in! ?
Both your babies look beautiful.?
Stay safe and stay healthy. ❤
-Dee

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
DragonPete":2cup8qb5 said:
+1 That 1st pic of Wilbur is hysterical! ? Always amazes me the positions they get in, even more so, the ones they find comfy to sleep in! ?
-Dee

He did a similar pose for his afternoon meal lol. He always comes at his bowl from the top. I keep it in the shade of their branches and they hop down.

Also in other news, I discovered baby roaches! Finally the colony is going. Not a lot maybe 50 or so from what I could tell about half the size of my pinky nail.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":357zbnak said:
DragonPete":357zbnak said:
-Dee

He did a similar pose for his afternoon meal lol. He always comes at his bowl from the top. I keep it in the shade of their branches and they hop down.

Also in other news, I discovered baby roaches! Finally the colony is going. Not a lot maybe 50 or so from what I could tell about half the size of my pinky nail.
Yay!! Glad the colony is getting going! ?
-Dee

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
opaquelace":2bc56uvw said:

Yay!! :p
That'll be awesome to have your own supply for bugs going forward. Easy-peasy feeders!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MariosDad":312jvlnj said:
opaquelace":312jvlnj said:

Yay!! :p
That'll be awesome to have your own supply for bugs going forward. Easy-peasy feeders!
Definitely! Although with just 50 or so there were that's a one day supply for right now lol. These bearded dragons are pigs. Mario will be eating like that sooner or later. I found mine didn't develop huge appetites for probably 3 or so weeks. Now I can't stop them lol.

Also here is a great picture of CandyCane showing off her pink shed look. She is definitely bigger than Wilbur. I noticed Wilbur sleeping last night across a tile and he's probably 14/15 inches compared to her 16/17 inches. Do female beardies grow faster or are they bigger in general? I have no clue what to expect.

91180040_10104498890494660_8177787627605327872_o.jpg

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
91991716_10104506514076940_7631799200115589120_n.jpg

They have staring contests sometimes. Wilbur will just calmly sit there and watch. You can see the dog nose prints on the glass. Here's a picture after I cleaned it lol.
91397520_10104506514121850_7704517201209851904_n.jpg

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
92166027_10104515591939830_3876902343412809728_n.jpg

Wilbur staring at Marilou while she was crying. She's an extrovert so staying home is getting a bit rough. Plus 4-5 days of outdoor play from breakfast time to dinner time was exhausting lol. Super cranky.
92212670_10104515592124460_1114951150441857024_n.jpg

She loved holding CandyCane though! CandyCane is surprisingly the more frightened on outside of the cage, but she LOVED that blanket pocket. She didn't want to come out.
92191123_10104515591685340_2986295081645899776_n.jpg

Wilbur wanted out the blanket pocket and wanted to explore.
91624925_10104515591859990_3618001667565289472_n.jpg

He was going all over the couch.
92633979_10104515591979750_7505836236049743872_n.jpg

They were out while I was cleaning their cages from top to bottom, taking everything out, vacuuming up dust and debris, and sanitizing the floors and walls.
91977730_10104515591680350_1623128494038843392_n.jpg

92023399_10104515591560590_2904173284016783360_n.jpg

Evening snack time. By snack I mean 30+ roaches and some green beans.
92168406_10104515705931390_970545137245487104_n.jpg

CandyCane this evening after cage cleaning and snack time. She was staring over the wooden lip, so I went to open the cage and she let me pet her and take some photos. Also check out this super bright leg scale. Not sure what's going on here lol, but it's cool!
92169090_10104515705921410_125819069776527360_n.jpg

It's just one, and it's crazy bright. The only other spots that are this bright on her are her sides where the spiked scales come out. The spikes aren't bright themselves, but the surrounding areas is nearly neon.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":25752txr said:
DragonPete":25752txr said:
Great pics! Love to see the kids with dragons. ❤
-Dee
They were so good with them!
Yes! Kids are sitting calm with them. As it should be. Glad to see you've taught them how to handle the Beardies. ? I think all kids should have pets, but they need to know how to take care of them and handle them.? Good job! ❤
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Omg they have gotten huge!!

Growing super quick.

I know what you mean about the outside play. My daughter is only 20 months old but she lives to be outside. It's been raining here the past 3 days and she has been super super whiney and attached at the waist to my wife. She can't be left alone for 10 minutes right now. She's definitely going through a phase.

I'm just glad my daughter doesn't know whats happening in the world. Do your kids understand?

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1of7i2cw said:
Omg they have gotten huge!!

Growing super quick.

I know what you mean about the outside play. My daughter is only 20 months old but she lives to be outside. It's been raining here the past 3 days and she has been super super whiney and attached at the waist to my wife. She can't be left alone for 10 minutes right now. She's definitely going through a phase.

I'm just glad my daughter doesn't know whats happening in the world. Do your kids understand?

-Brandon
They know there is a sickness so we have to stay home and we can’t visit MiMi and Papa and Nana and Pop and there is no school, but they don’t truly understand. I’m sure they’ll remember it when they get older but it will be a vague remembrance where they had a 6 month long summer break and played outside constantly. We are home bodies anyway and I’m a stay at home mom so this is pretty much what our summers are minus visiting grandparents and swimming at Nana and Pops house. My husband got laid off too but with the additional unemployment benefits we aren’t worried and they LOVE having their dad home all day. My sisters kids have no idea what’s going on. My nieces are 6 and almost 3 though. The 6 year old thinks it’s Easter break and everything is closed because people are off for the break lol. Mine being almost 9 they understand a bit more, and I’m telling you it took a while for the beardies to adjust to the new level of noise in the house with the kids being home all the time lol.

I love when my kids can play outside. If they come in not stinking they didn’t play hard enough lol. The best days are indicated by how big of a dirt ring they leave in the tub. They climb trees, dig for worms etc. The other day they found a hammerhead worm. I plan on getting some sort of little playpen for the dragons to get some real UVB and heat outdoors.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like things are all going well then on your end!

My daughter has been missing her "noni" and "papa" too, and her "amor" and "paa" haha. It's tough. Today while we were working in the yard, my daughter picked up a rock and put it to her face like it was a phone and started saying "hellllloo? Noni? HEEELOOOO?"
Poor girl was trying to call her grandma with a rock :(

Has your husband started to receive benefits yet? I just started the process online last week, got something in the mail today that I need to fill out. I really hope I get the added benefits too because the 450 max that you normally get per week just won't cut it for us.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":2f263hmf said:
Sounds like things are all going well then on your end!

My daughter has been missing her "noni" and "papa" too, and her "amor" and "paa" haha. It's tough. Today while we were working in the yard, my daughter picked up a rock and put it to her face like it was a phone and started saying "hellllloo? Noni? HEEELOOOO?"
Poor girl was trying to call her grandma with a rock :(

Has your husband started to receive benefits yet? I just started the process online last week, got something in the mail today that I need to fill out. I really hope I get the added benefits too because the 450 max that you normally get per week just won't cut it for us.

-Brandon
We should, but we got lucky with a good severance so we won't be able to collect until that has run its course. And I also believe we qualify for the extra benefits as well since his layoff is directly related. I think everyone gets it who qualifies honestly, although I could be wrong. It took me 2.5 hours to fill out the forms online which was a pain. I live just a few doors down from my parents, so they will stop by and talk to the kids through the fence, and my in-laws will drive by and honk and wave so we do see them, but it's different than visiting in person. Lots of phone calls though. Marilou did break down today and say she missed school and her friends and her teacher and needed some consoling. I'll have to take more pictures of the beardies and the kids together. Wilbur got bigger since the last time I posted pictures. It's funny because he knows when I take out his bowl in the morning he's about to get food, so he comes to the glass on the side where I open it and waits patiently. He loved his carrots and supers this morning. I swear since I've gotten the superworms I haven't seemed to start running out. I've been alternating roaches/supers, trying to get that roach colony sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom