Bearded dragon “afraid” to poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! So my dragon is almost 3 years old now! I have read in a couple places that older bearded dragons poop less often when older (which seems weird) and other people have said that their older beardies poop daily.
It may seem strange to say but I feel like diesel is sort of “afraid” to poop. Especially in her tank and really anywhere else. So she can go a whole month without pooping and I just think that’s extremely unhealthy... the vet said not to worry but it just seems absurd.
Any thoughts?

Edit: it seems to be very watery and a very putrid smell when she does go

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like she's impacted , so not afraid , but more blocked up.

A month between poos is BAD .

You need have this investigated by a reptile vet if changing the bedding , and changing the diet and amount of "exercise" / floor time to explore doesn't resolve this and get her more regular .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A month definitely isn't unheard of, especially if the dragon is slowing down for brumation, just came out of brumation, or just isn't really eating very much.

MY oldest biggest one right now averages about once every 2 weeks. Sometimes 3 weeks.

If loose stools are coming out, it's unlikely to actually be impaction. I would be more suspect of parasites with a loose and stinky stool.

What does his daily diet look like? Quantities too please.
How does he generally act besides the lack of pooing?

Can you post a picture of him and his setup?

-Brandon

Dieselgirl18

Original Poster
95757-5521991998.jpg
95757-1518395371.jpg

This is her tank as of right now. I’m saving up to find her a bigger one possibly actually a custom one.
I feed her a bowl of salad (red and green leaf) every morning, as in the picture. I feed her raspberries every once and awhile. I would do more but she’s so picky. She’s also sort of on a diet by the vet because she weighs about 700g which is “obese”.
Diesel pretty much everyday just lays around on her hammock. Except for in the mornings, she tends to be glass surfing a lot.

I hope this is a good amount of information.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you let her out of the tank much? If it's safe to do so (no other animals around etc) you might want to let her explore a room or part of the house. That will help tend to her curiosity and will also give her a chance to exercise. You can set up a portable basking lamp for her in the room somewhere and she will learn to return to it to warm up when she gets cold. As far as the salad goes, I suggest including some other options for variety. It may take some time to find her favorites but I suggest starting with things like cut up or grated (large grate) summer squash, chopped green beans, peas, dark leafy greens like collards, kale, turnip greens, bok choy, etc. Offering more variety may get her interest up and she is likely to eat more salad that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom