Biting, running, and glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my beardie about a week ago and for the first 3 or 4 days it was fine. I let it adjust to its new habitat for a few days and it was fine being touched, picked up, and held. I always try to pick it up from the front (sliding my hand under its chin and letting it crawl into my hand).

Now it wont let me near it without opening its mouth wide and trying to bite me when I try to pet it. I'm scared to force it or just pick it up anyway because I don't want it to hate me or fear me. (I even put an old tshirt in the corner of its enclosure, I thought that maybe if it got used to how I smelled it would warm up to me. It lays on it a lot, so maybe it like it?)

It also started glass surfing against the back of its enclosure a few days ago. And I've tried moving the furniture, the whole enclosure, the lights. I can't think of anything else to do.

Its about 2 months old (I assume, its about 7 inches long), and I've been trying to give it some space and leave it be but I don't know what to do.

cchart1216

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":1rvx299b said:
Go over your enclosure size and what lights you use with us

Its a 40gallon tank (48"×12"×16"), and I use the reptisun T5 10.0 UVB and a flukers basking bulb during the day and aqua culture ceramic heat emmiter at night

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so first he's going to go thru relocation stress-- he's young and is going to need to learn to trust you-- start slow w/ hand feeding him in the morning- a little bit- set a routine w/ him feeding and hand feeding so he knows what to expect- put a piece of clothing or fleece in his tank so he gets used to your scent- his eating will slow down but should not quit completely- your T 5 is where? What are your basking temps and how are you taking them?
Karrie

cchart1216

Original Poster
The T5 is outside the screen top and durring the day the basking area is about 96 to 102 degrees, the cool area is about 88 at the lowest.
In the evening the basking area is about 95 max and the cool area drops to 85, no lower. I use 2 in tank thermometer/humidity gauges on either side of the enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is your screen on top fine mesh or wide holed? Temp gauges should be one w/ probes NO Stick Ons! They are inaccurate --- please get ones w/ the probes on them Petco or Petsmart has them and they are pretty cheap --- you also might want to invest in a Infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store $10-12 --- good investment -- you will use it --- make sure your feeding your baby fresh salads every day --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple to feed
What are you feeding for a staple protein?
Karrie

cchart1216

Original Poster
The screen has smaller holes but allows for good airflow and light exposure.

I feed it small gutloaded crickets from the pet store. I also keep a bowl of veggies (usually a combination of kale, zucchini, and radish or carrots) in the enclosure.

And thank you, I will be sure to get probe thermometers asap.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking decor for the T 5 should be 6-8 inches w/ a fine screen -- that screen is filtering 30% of the UVB rays --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
KarrieRee":1ndak88x said:
The basking decor for the T 5 should be 6-8 inches w/ a fine screen -- that screen is filtering 30% of the UVB rays --
Karrie

a 30% reduction would mean that the t5 should be 8-10 inches :)
Seeing as unobstructed you want 12-15 inches.
6-8 would be if there was no reflector (halving the output)

Definitely get the digital with probe end to measure your temps accurately. Nothing more important to their health than proper temps :)

And I agree, it's most likely just a bit of relocation stress. Give him time to settle, and make sure your husbandry is up to par and things should end up just fine :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom