Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adraper06

I need ANY advise, please. My son had his juvenal beardie outside yesterday and she jumped off his lap and ran under the dock before he could catch her. We have searched and search. We pulled up dock boards too. We can see under the dock where there is mostly all dirt. Damp, cold dirt. We can't finder her! Now it's morning and I just spent over an hour searching, and crying, for her again. My heart is breaking that she's cold and I'm very sure lethargic. It won't even reach 60 here today. How long does she have to live with the Midwest temperatures right now????!!!!! Low 40s/high 30s at night and 40s/50s daytime. And it's supposed to start raining in few hours. My heart! We had her heat lamp out all night where she dove under the dock and it's still on right now. How far will a beardie run once it's gone to a cold, damp, somewhat dark area? How far should we expand our search?!! We are both just sick over this. My son had a break down last night of guilt and worry she's dead already. Please, any words of advice. Please!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is the space big enough for your son [ or others ]to belly crawl under the porch ? He should do that with a strong flashlight and check very slowly + thoroughly. Other than that, leave a very strong heat lamp under there and hopefully beardie should appear. They are very hardy so hopefully she will turn up soon.

Adraper06

Original Poster
Thank you for replying! We both felt a tiny bit of relief when we read they are hardy. How far would she run do you think? The dock is narrow and a bit long. Once she went under it do you think the cold, damp, shaded area would keep her there or would she keep running into bushes or up a tree? We just can't find her. :( We have two heat lamps set up under the dock in hopes she'll find her way to them. We've been checking all day with no luck.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

She is most likely still under there. They really slow down and end up sleeping when they get in cold dark places such as that. You really do need someone to go under there and check very carefully. It's possible she could have burrowed herself down a little too. She wouldn't have covered herself, but its very possible that she dug. If she dug, it will be obvious though as you'll see new disturbed soil.

She most likely is just somewhere sleeping, it's kind of their first instinct when they are in a cold dark area.

-Brandon

Adraper06

Original Poster
He and I have crawled and felt around as much as we can. With flash flashlights and pulling up boards where we couldn't reach. Would she have gone down a hole?! There are several smaller holes that appear to be from water critters. The holes are not freshly dug/disturbed soil.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If there are holes she very likely could have crawled in one. If you can start digging them up I would. She potentially could have crawled down a hole and isnt' able to turn around and come back out.

I know it must be frightening, but I wouldn't feel right personally if I didn't at least dig up all the open holes. Otherwise, you will just have to hope she shows up eventually.

-Brandon

Adraper06

Original Poster
THANK YOU!! We found her! She was down one of the holes. It was a rather large hole, fist sized, that went nearly parallel from the dock into our yard. My son kept reaching in shoulder deep and then I'd shovel a little bit. The 3rd time he reached in he yelled, "She's in there! I felt her head and she jerked!" I dug a little more and he was able to reach in and grab her whole body. She had gone in about 3 1/2 feet! She's pretty cold, naturally, but back in her aquarium with the heat lamp on. Hopefully she warms up slowly and is okay! Thank you again, so much!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Amazing!

So happy for you and your family! It's very natural for them to go into a place like that! Glad she stayed there for you to find her! :D

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey, that's great news ! Do you have any pics of the troublemaker, I mean the sweet little dragon ?

Adraper06

Original Poster
Hermione is a bit bigger than this photo. This was taken a month or more ago. She's full of personality, spunk and has certainly bonded with my son. I swear she knows his voice. We are pet owners and enjoy our pets, but I was pretty surprised how alert and curious a bearded dragon can be! We just love her and are unbelievably relieved she's safe now! (I've researched and ordered a harness for her.) She perked up pretty quick once in the tank under her heat lamp and was hungry. It was wonderful to see her go from very dark to light tan once she was comfortable in her tank. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful news that you found her! :D
They sure can run fast & hide for sure. I am happy you had a happy ending.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom