Are there any substitutes for locusts

Status
Not open for further replies.

winstonsmemory

Unfortunately I have lost my 9 year old beardie recently to cancer, his name was Winston and he was the most chilled out little dude ever. His death has left a bearded dragon shaped whole in my heart. I’m under 18 and so I still live under the care of my parents, as I can’t simply just ignore my need for another beardie I asked my parents if I could get another. A recurring problem while I was caring for Winston is that I hate locusts, I hate them so much that once I saw one of the stairs then screamed and started irrationally crying even though I had run a good distance away and I then couldn’t go up the stairs for hours even after we got rid of the rogue locust. Quite sensibly my parents said no to getting a new one simply because whenever Winston has beasties in his tank I could not go near him or feed him so I needed a lot of assistance with that. But now I long for a beardie and feel like I need one in my life but my mum said that I may have a chance of getting a new one if someone could explain to me any substitute for locusts, I am fine with handling any worms/larvae but could not cope with roaches or crickets, I’m desperate for a substitute as I would really love a beardie in my life. Please can someone explain to me anything that could help, if I should get another beardie and if live bait is too essential can somebody please tell me a similar lizard that would not need it, I’m desperate here as I just find beardies so cute, intelligent and well mannered and I feel that I won’t be whole again until another one comes into my life. I’m not sure if the picture I put in works but it’s of Winston.
107815-3783699535.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

If you got an adult, you wouldn't need to handle bugs as often. But babies need constant bugs daily.

Other alternatives would be superworms, mealworms, butterworms, silkworms, and BSFL. That pretty much is it for acceptable feeders given what you say you don't want to deal with.

While not exactly like dragons, and a bit harder to tame, Uromastyxs are herbivores only. I had one and I really want another. Look up their care and see what you think. The key difference is diet and hotter temps.

It did take me much longer to form a bond and trust with my uro compared to any dragon i've had. But that almost made it more special too.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom