Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, well Karrie covered a lot of the questions that could be helpful in determining what's up with your boy. He does look a bit sluggish. Does he have loose substrate and are there fake plants in the tank ? Just to rule out possibility of impaction. It might also be related to an excess of D3 . Dragons that have a strong uvb bulb can be given calcium w/out D3 twice a week but the calcium with D3 only once a week . So eliminate the cal. w/D3 for a while, about 2 weeks, then introduce it only once a week lightly and use regular calcium powder w/out D3 very lightly twice a week. BTW, do you have a meter to read the uvb output ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, since you are using a stronger UVB light, I would recommend using calcium with no
D3 added. The fat soluble vitamins such as D3 can build up in the system & become toxic.
I was noticing that his fingers appear a bit swollen on the ends of a few of them. That could
be pseudo gout coming on which is essentially brought on by supplemental issues.
Is he getting much oral fluids or does he eat vegetation at all right now? I would start him on
some slurries a few times per week to get some vegetation & fluids into him. Use just calcium
without any D3 added as well.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

tierneymayette

Original Poster
AHBD":13y5xd2d said:
Hi there, well Karrie covered a lot of the questions that could be helpful in determining what's up with your boy. He does look a bit sluggish. Does he have loose substrate and are there fake plants in the tank ? Just to rule out possibility of impaction. It might also be related to an excess of D3 . Dragons that have a strong uvb bulb can be given calcium w/out D3 twice a week but the calcium with D3 only once a week . So eliminate the cal. w/D3 for a while, about 2 weeks, then introduce it only once a week lightly and use regular calcium powder w/out D3 very lightly twice a week. BTW, do you have a meter to read the uvb output ?

I have a few live plants in his enclosure that are non toxic if ingested and also have somewhat of a bioactive setup currently. The substrate is a mixture of play sand, organic topsoil, and excavator clay. Also i do not have a solar meter to measure the UVB output.

tierneymayette

Original Poster
Drache613":3ccsc3w3 said:
Hello,

I agree, since you are using a stronger UVB light, I would recommend using calcium with no
D3 added. The fat soluble vitamins such as D3 can build up in the system & become toxic.
I was noticing that his fingers appear a bit swollen on the ends of a few of them. That could
be pseudo gout coming on which is essentially brought on by supplemental issues.
Is he getting much oral fluids or does he eat vegetation at all right now? I would start him on
some slurries a few times per week to get some vegetation & fluids into him. Use just calcium
without any D3 added as well.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

currently he will not eat anything whatsoever, but is drinking plenty of water (about once every day/other day). How could i get him to eat if he is refusing to eat? Should i try and feed him with a syringe?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, you can get a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him with by dripping the food onto the end
of his nose. He will need some type of nutrition & hydration, too.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

NuggetsMama

Hatchling Member
I’m in a similar situation with my little guy - here’s some tips on eating & hydrating

Water I give via syringe . I just put the tip in the groove under his top lip and apply light pressure and eventually (with lots of patience) he’ll begin to lick it up and I just slowly drop it in as he licks

I do the same with a slurrie I made - try to stick to veggies lower in protein.. I add LOTS of greens.. like 5-6 handfuls, a couple pieces of squash and about 1/3 of a mango to make it tasty. Then just add a few feeder bugs , I usually add 10-15 as the slurrie lasts about a week

I’m still learning & this forum & Tracie have been a great help !! So if anyone has anything to add/ correct feel free. But this method has been working as far as keeping My guy fed & hydrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom