Questions for Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need of a breeder to answer the questions below for a paper I’m writing. I’m also thinking of possibly going into dragon breeding myself, so it would help me out quite a bit! The questions are below. If I could have an answer in the next couple of days that would be wonderful, or if someone knows of a breeder who would help me out that would be great too! Thanks so much.

>What are the pros and cons to breeding bearded dragons?

> Is the breeding time consuming? If so, how much time would you say it takes out of your day?

> What are some of the best ways to prepare a female for breeding?

> How many times can a female mate throughout her life and still stay healthy?

> When your dragons lay eggs, are the batches sometimes bad? If so, what causes them to go bad?

> Out of all the eggs/babies, how many usually survive?

>What are some of the major problems that can occur when housing so many dragons?

>At what age do baby bearded dragons have to be separated and placed in their own tanks?

>How do you know when your baby is ready to find a new home?

>(for those of you who ship) what are the main difficulties and problems that occur when shipping bearded dragons?

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
bubblesthebeardie55":2sg1fh95 said:
I am in need of a breeder to answer the questions below for a paper I’m writing. I’m also thinking of possibly going into dragon breeding myself, so it would help me out quite a bit! The questions are below. If I could have an answer in the next couple of days that would be wonderful, or if someone knows of a breeder who would help me out that would be great too! Thanks so much.

>What are the pros and cons to breeding bearded dragons?

> Is the breeding time consuming? If so, how much time would you say it takes out of your day?

> What are some of the best ways to prepare a female for breeding?

> How many times can a female mate throughout her life and still stay healthy?

> When your dragons lay eggs, are the batches sometimes bad? If so, what causes them to go bad?

> Out of all the eggs/babies, how many usually survive?

>What are some of the major problems that can occur when housing so many dragons?

>At what age do baby bearded dragons have to be separated and placed in their own tanks?

>How do you know when your baby is ready to find a new home?

>(for those of you who ship) what are the main difficulties and problems that occur when shipping bearded dragons?

You dont house the dragons together the male can mate the female to exhaustion and sometimes to death the act of beardies mating isnt hugs and kissing alot of biting and russling.

You can keep a clutch beardies in the same enclosure up to 4
months heavily monitor it for aggressive behaviors to know when to separate

Females can lay eggs even unmated and all females lay 1 infertile clutch after about a year and next year you can mate them

You can to make sure your dragon is of breeding weight of 300-350 grams
Alot of beardies after mating and laying go into brumation and usually is ready for mating again after they shed after coming out of brumation

Not all clutches come out as perfect, usually some slugs come in the clutch they can lay between 15 to 25 eggs make sure you offer alot of calcium as that's what they need

You give you dragon no benefit by mating if anything it takes more of a toll on the female beardies body

It is time consuming and a money pit you'll need more enclosures more feeders possibly need to breed the feeders also and you'll need a incubator

Most reputable breeders don't sell until the dragon has been eating and pooping normally and can thrive as a member of their species

Alot of beardies have snipped tails and missing toes and fingers from being housed together they fight for food hides and best basking spots

Good way to prepare the female is a good pinkie mouse if able and grown a few days before mating and even after she lays eggs

Shipping requires heat packs and the right packing materials and animal shipping boxes and you always have to check whatever city your shipping to weather and everything else and what city's and state's it will pass through

Females do certain behaviors when are about to lay and if conditions are not met they will have egg binding and will get impacted and will need surgery you have to provide nice deep substrate or a lay box

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, you got some good info already but just wanted to add a few things. If your breeders are healthy and of good weight , most of the eggs will be good. I rarely had a bad egg in any clutch and had almost 100 % hatch rate. I never bred the newer morphs though, so they may have different results. Clutches are usually at least 18 or more, average is 25 but I almost always had more so you CAN get from 35 - 40 in one clutch, rarely more than that. Babies are best set up in groups of less than 15, and then these will need separated in just a month or two as they grow. So by 4 months old there might only be 4-7 dragons in one rearing tub/enclosure. Females can be fed as usual but need extra food + be sure of enough calcium supplementation. When shipping, only do so by guaranteed overnight air for morning delivery, checking weather at the departure + arrival destination [ as was mentioned ] and only using a heat pack [ never use 2 ] if it's below 60 F. You can use a cool pack if the temp. is over 80F., if it's much hotter than that you might wait for a cooler day because the temp. on a delivery truck can be quite a bit warmer. There are specific companies that ship reptiles, they are the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom