Dragon Not Interested in BSFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBeardie

My bearded dragon used to love BSF larvae, as well, and I mean he loved them. I'm irritated by the amount of work it takes to sift them out of their substrate, but I was so stoked that he liked them that I gladly dealt with it several times a week.

One day about eight months ago I absentmindedly sorted about 120 or so of the little guys into my dragon's food dish - probably about a double serving for him. He got super excited and housed the entire bowl in less than a minute. About an hour later he vomited up half of them and spent the rest of the day in his hide. I wasn't terribly concerned because I figured he'd just overeaten, and sure enough the next day he was his old self again.

Fast forward a few days, and I try offering him the larvae again. Excited as usual, he rushes to his food bowl...
HbLbsJc.jpg

Contemplates what he's seeing for a second, then gives me an unmistakable look.

ppMJnhA.jpg

"Hey dad, is this a ******* joke?"

He hasn't touched them since.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi there!

Im sorry your beardie got sick. Im wondering if it’s what you mentioned: he got sick and now thinks he cant eat them anymore. If you have other feeders, try mixing them with the BSFL. Dont give him too much and slowly reintroduce it into his diet perhaps. I like to give Drogon my beardie a mix of larvae and cover them with chopped greens so he eats slower.

Im a new owner but Ive learned a lot based on his eating habits. Hopefully this will help you out :)

Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That picture is too funny though. Definitely is giving you that look!

-Brandon

SirBeardie

Selkie1993":n1b600qo said:
Im sorry your beardie got sick. Im wondering if it’s what you mentioned: he got sick and now thinks he cant eat them anymore.
Oh, I'm very certain that's what it is! I do my best to avoid anthropomorphizing non-human animals, or ascribing too much intelligence to behaviors that might be instinct, but my little guy never ceases to amaze me with what he seems to observe and the connections he makes. He also learned a long time ago to not only pick around what he doesn't like in his food (so I can't be sneaky and hide stuff in his squash), but that I'll also take away any particularly offending food right away if he just defecates in the dish. He's got me practically remote-controlled. It's alright, though. We're just back to dubias and supers, and silkworms when I can find them. I find that, for him, feeders insects he has to chase are just better overall.

Claudiusx":n1b600qo said:
That picture is too funny though. Definitely is giving you that look!
It's uncanny, right? He spent a few uncomfortable seconds giving me that look of surprise and indignation before clambering up onto his rock, blackening his beard and bobbing multiple times in my direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom