UVB Advice for 20 Gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandilm82

Hi,

We got a baby bearded dragon 2 days ago and unfortunately purchased the Thrive kit as we were advised. I know now that the UVB is sub par after reading up here. I was looking on the Pangeareptiles site at their fixtures and was planning on getting the Reptisun 10 bulb, but wanted to make sure the size you all would recommend for the fixture and bulb with a 20 gallon tank. I've already added digital thermostats to the tank and upgraded to the Reptisun 100w bulb as the 75w Thrive heat lamp was not getting his basking area hot enough. He's at a cozy 105 now. Just hoping to get his UVB where it needs to be in the next few days, but have been taking him outside for some daily sun bathing in the meantime. Thanks so much for your help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good website for the UVB-- I would get the 24" fixture as your going to need to upgrade that tank and it will go.right into a bigger tank - get the T 8 for now it will work good for you 20 gallon -- you can upgrade bulb to a T 5 when you get a bigger tank and 6 months from when you install it- it will need to be changed out then
Karrie

mandilm82

Original Poster
Awesome! Thanks so much for your quick reply. Going to go ahead and get those ordered this morning!

mandilm82

Original Poster
Ok, maybe you can help me before I order. I emailed my question to customer service at the Pangeareptiles site yesterday and also asked a question under the fixture I am interested in and have yet to receive a response on either. The description on the 24" T5 HO fixture states that it holds a 22" T5 bulb. You recommended that we do a T8 bulb for the 20 gallon tank and the Reptisun T8 bulb is only sold in 24". Do you know if it will fit that fixture? I didn't want to order it only to realize I had ordered an incorrect size.

Thank you so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
IAM guessing no-- I will get on that website and look
Karrie

mandilm82

Original Poster
Thank you so much. Sorry for the trouble. I really wanted to get his UVB lighting where it needs to be sooner rather than later so I really appreciate all of your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it's not going to work the bulbs are different in circumference- the T 5 is skinnier- get the T 5 bulb we will need to work w/ distance--- it will.need to sit on top.of tank approx 12 - 15 inches w/ no screen - measure your tank height
Karrie

mandilm82

Original Poster
Ok, great. Will get that ordered and figure out the logistics of it's correct placement once it arrives.

Thank you again

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A good option for smaller enclosures is to get the T5 24'' fixture (22'' bulb) but get a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb. Their output is similar to a T8 (optimal output at a shorter distance) but you can keep the same fixture when you upgrade your tank. Just move to the 10.0 or 12% bulb which will increase the optimal output distance using the same fixture.

mandilm82

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I ended up ordering the 24" T5 fixture and the 22" Reptisun 5.0 bulb from Pangeareptiles.com and it arrived today. (Fast shipping and great customer service, so highly recommend) So glad our little guy finally has some quality UVB and appreciate y'all's help with the decision!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and your still using the 20 gallon? It needs to be on top of the tank No screen directly over basking decor approx 8-10 inches
Karrie

mandilm82

Original Poster
Yes, we still have the 20 gallon tank and have it mounted aprix 8 in above his basking area, no screen. Thank you for all the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok sounds good --- ask if anything else comes up and you need help
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom