Too many veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
This might come as a shock, as I know quite a few beardies do not really care for their veggies, but my 8 mo has loved every single type of vegetable since we have brought him home. Everyday, I provide a small salad with a mixture of different greens. Right now, I have collard and mustard greens with bell peppers, though other times I may have endive, escarole, turnip greens, squash, etc.. When I wash them, I dry them off before putting them in his bowl.
At first, he didn’t really touch his veggies. As soon as he got used to his home, he would never go a day without emptying his bowl. I never thought this would be a problem until recently. He has been eating so many veggies that his poop has so much excess water. He’s not having diarrhea (his poops and urates are still firm), just the puddle of water around where he went. Am I giving him way too many veggies? Do I need to cut back on them for now and give him more insects? I currently give him 2 feedings of BSFL, with other insects occasionally. I have been keeping a close eye on him and he doesn’t seem to have any other problems (surely doesn’t have a decreased appetite and definitely doesn’t act lethargic).
He has a 10.0 T5 HO uvb tube light and a basking site that reaches 105 F. His lights are on at 7 off at 7. I feed him an hour after he wakes up to bask in the morning and at least 2 hours before he goes to bed to make sure he has enough time to digest. He hasn’t pooped more often than usual, which leads me to believe this is not diarrhea.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He needs insects 80% and salads 20% --- and lights need to be on 2 hrs before going off after hes eaten
Karrie

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":5ug8k5rl said:
He needs insects 80% and salads 20% --- and lights need to be on 2 hrs before going off after hes eaten
Karrie
He gets quite a few insects a day. I currently feed him about 60 BSFL a day. I started to lower the amount of veggies after I saw he was eating so many. He still empties his bowl and I wonder if I should just hand feed him so he doesn’t go as crazy. My apologies about the lights. I did mean to put 2 hours. I feed at 5 and lights off at 7. It’s been a long night.. thank you for your help. I think I will end up cutting back on veggies. I’ll experiment a little and see what helps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would add another staple feeder like dubia roaches or crickets -- I dont think 60 BSFl are enough as they are so small --- it would be best to add another protein or up the amount of the BSFL
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with extra liquid coming out with the stool. Better that the body has more than it needs than not enough.

All of my dragons eat a big salad every day plus a lot of bugs (for the growing dragons). Sounds like yours has a quite healthy diet.

Just like poo, urates, the body excretes what it doesn't need. That doesn't mean it's bad. Especially since the poos are still formed. Your dragons liver and kidneys will thank you later in life.

-Brandon

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Woke up this morning to a pile of full on diarrhea. Don’t know if something is wrong with him. Didn’t seem to act different yesterday. This is only the first day, so I’ll see if his poop returns to normal tomorrow. There was no sudden change in husbandry or diet, so I don’t really know what could have happened. Seems healthy otherwise, so could have just been a loose bowel movement. I’ll make sure to keep an eye on him. Going to disinfect his viv to make sure everything is sanitary for him. Is there anything else I should keep an eye on or do?

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1rx1kp4a said:
Your T 5 where in the tank is it? On top of screen or inside the tank? I would look at adding some dubia roaches to his diet --- you can order them online from here --- http://www.dubiaroaches.com or from here http://www.reptilianarts.com http://www.mulberryfarms.com
Karrie
On top of his screen, about 6 inches away from his basking spot. This is the correct lighting, right? I’m told the t8 has to be mounted inside of his viv, but the t5 can be outside. I had to search and search for this light because I’m told it’s the only light that will really do him any good. I also will take my beardie outside when it is about 80 degrees or higher outside so he can get some natural light.
As for the roaches, our state does not allow for domestic roaches of any kind. I would love to breed them and start my own colony, but I am unable to.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If the screen is fine mesh your 6 inches is good-- if it's wide hole 8-10-- what state are you in?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom