Start of Brumation for Lannan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMorgan

All,

I've been reading/searching through all the posts I can find and believe Lannan is in the start of brumation. Hopefully, someone can confirm my assumptions.
As of late, I've seen a change in his behavior as he turned 10 mo. old. He is resting/sleeping more than usual during the day and going to bed a bit earlier in the evening. He is actually using his hide and lounging under his hammock, shading him from his basking and UVB lighting most days. Additionally, he appears more non-chalant than usual and eating less within the last few weeks. He has had a slow and steady growth rate until last month, and has remained at 320 grams +/- and 19" since his last weigh-in. From all that I've read, it sounds like brumation, but paranoia has got the better of me. Is it "spring brumation", or time for a vet visit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could be the time of year but we need to go over the tank set up-- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- next what is the UVB your are using? NO coils --- they are no good -- these two things the basking temps and UVB are the MOST important things in that tank
you can post a pic of the tank and lighting -- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

MSMorgan

Original Poster
Karrie,
Thank you for your response. Lannan is heated by a 90W flood light and has a Repti-Sun 10.0 linear bulb. His ambient temps are 85*-90* on the warm side (taken with a digital prob. term.) with a basking temp of 100* (taken with a laser temp. gun). On the cool side, his temp is 70* -75* throughout the day. I'll get a few pics of the enclosure for you tomorrow, as Lannan has gone to bed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the 10.0 linear bulb is a tube ? What bulb? Is it a T 8 or a T 5 and where in the tank is it on top of screen or in the tank itself?
Karrie

MSMorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ai0yqfea said:
the 10.0 linear bulb is a tube ? What bulb? Is it a T 8 or a T 5 and where in the tank is it on top of screen or in the tank itself?
Karrie

Yes, the linear bulb is a tube. It is a T8 and is on top of large steel mesh screen. Basking spot is 8" from bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 needs to inside the tank the T 8 bus not strong enough and 30% of the Ray's are being blocked- it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking decor
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most are coming out of brumation and for 10 months he pretty young to be brumating but w/ his size I guess it could be possible--- get the UVB inside the tank and see what his behavior does then-- if it does not change we will haft to figure out what another reason would be -- hes a big boy for 10 months -- what staple feeder are you feeding? Is he pooping regular and do they stink really bad like enough to drive you out of the room?
Karrie

MSMorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":8lt0bt4t said:
Most are coming out of brumation and for 10 months he pretty young to be brumating but w/ his size I guess it could be possible--- get the UVB inside the tank and see what his behavior does then-- if it does not change we will haft to figure out what another reason would be -- hes a big boy for 10 months -- what staple feeder are you feeding? Is he pooping regular and do they stink really bad like enough to drive you out of the room?
Karrie

UVB light in enclosure now. I suspended it with fishing line looped in from the top through the mesh. Yes, Lannan is a big boy for 10mo. Up until last month, he was eating like a sumo wrestler. His staple feeders alternate between crickets and dubia. He is also treated to supers, wax worms, BSFL and BS flies. It's fun to watch him hunt the flies while they flutter around the enclosure and helps him get a bit of exercise. I usually put a few worms in his salad each morning. He is still fairly regular with smaller poops, as he has been eating less. They are stinky, but no more potent than usual. Not enough to drive us out of the room.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well lets see if this does the trick --- he should be basking more under that UVB now that its been moved --
Karrie

MSMorgan

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1exhnrf7 said:
Well lets see if this does the trick --- he should be basking more under that UVB now that its been moved --
Karrie

Hopefully so. I'll report back in a few days to give an update. Thank you for your help.

MSMorgan

Original Poster
Just a quick update for Lannan. Same quirky behavior since moving the UVB light into the enclosure. Tuesday, he dug under the paper towels in his "man cave" and didn't come out to "sun." I placed him in his hammock to warm up mid-morning, but am wondering if I should have left him be? He's still eating dubia, some salad and a few treats per day, but wondering if he's doing a partial spring brumation?

MSMorgan

Original Poster
Well...no brumation. He's back to normal sunning daily, roaming the enclosure and eating like there's no tomorrow. I'd like to think it was due to putting the UVB into the enclosure. Thank you Karrie. Now that it's warming up in N. CA, and we're on C-19 lockdown, we've been taking him out daily to get some sun. He began a new shed and should be in full shed by this weekend. I'll have to post a few pics when I get a chance. I've never had a reptile with so much personality.

MSMorgan

Original Poster
As promised, here's a few pics of Lannan in shed. Gave him a bit of a soak today in the kitchen sink, as he is now too big for the bathroom sink! Today, the "big boy" is 10 mo. old, he weighed in at 402g and measured 19 1/2". :lol: Should I expect a slow down soon, or is he going to be on the bigger side?
105533-990721072.jpg
105533-8950715670.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom