Help with my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had my bearded dragon since October and it is now April 2nd. I never really had time to pick him up since I’ve had school and after school everyday I have practice for my sport then I usually have 2-3 hours of homework everyday. Since this quarantine thing is happening I have time and want to bond with him more. How do I bond with him and stop having him run away from me whenever I attempt to pick him up? Because I want to be able to hold him and bond. I do sometimes pet his back but only when he is in his cage and he seems to just sit there when I do it. I also have a question about giving baths. When I give him baths he always runs away again and often in the bath he splashes everywhere and tries to get out. I also see him sometimes climb up the foam wall I have in the cage. He occasionally is also covered in bits of his own poop as well even tho I scoop it out with a spoon. Thank you I know I have a lot of questions.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lets start w / your tank and lighting please post a pic of him and the tank w/ the lighting so we can make sure you have everything properly placed etc --- since you havent given him much attention you will need to work w/ him every day -- how old is he? Its going to take patience and hes going to haft to learn to trust you --- running away is a normal thing as you are alot bigger than him - start w/ hand feeding him keep petting him like your doing and hold him in the tank each day make sure you approach from the side so you dont scare him they have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators - get a soft piece of cloth or fleece blanket and place in his tank something w/ your smell on it so he gets used to it --- please ask the questions that you have and we will answer as best as we can
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1g44we1f said:
Lets start w / your tank and lighting please post a pic of him and the tank w/ the lighting so we can make sure you have everything properly placed etc --- since you havent given him much attention you will need to work w/ him every day -- how old is he? Its going to take patience and hes going to haft to learn to trust you --- running away is a normal thing as you are alot bigger than him - start w/ hand feeding him keep petting him like your doing and hold him in the tank each day make sure you approach from the side so you dont scare him they have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators - get a soft piece of cloth or fleece blanket and place in his tank something w/ your smell on it so he gets used to it --- please ask the questions that you have and we will answer as best as we can
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

It says the image was uploaded. And I got him when he was only a few weeks old back in October for my birthday.

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
Justinsmith52":20yz7u3v said:
KarrieRee":20yz7u3v said:
Karrie

It says the image was uploaded. And I got him when he was only a few weeks old back in October for my birthday.
Also how should I approach to holding him? Should I come from the front of him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
From the side- follow the link download pics click on ximg at top of message box click on pics they should post
Karrie

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
KarrieRee":190wb8np said:
From the side- follow the link download pics click on ximg at top of message box click on pics they should post
Karrie
Oh ok sorry I forgot I had to do it in the message lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I see only the basking bulb for lighting --- what are you using for a UVB or is the one you have a All in One ? Has he sheded at all since you got him? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe if you do not have one
Karrie

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ksaum5g said:
I see only the basking bulb for lighting --- what are you using for a UVB or is the one you have a All in One ? Has he sheded at all since you got him? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe if you do not have one
Karrie

I was told when I bought the bulb that it was an all in one and yes he has shedded maybe around 3-4 times since I got him. I usually make sure the temp is around 90-105 degrees Fahrenheit and I tell this from a digital probe that I have slightly underneath the basking light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would bump the temp up to 105-110- if you can --- the All in One is a what wattage? Also I would recommend getting another UVB -- I have been told that the All in Ones do not provide enough UVB -- so w/ that being said I would recommend getting a 24" fixture w/ reflector -- your tank is a 40 gallon ? How high is the tank ?
Karrie

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
KarrieRee":bskj8zna said:
I would bump the temp up to 105-110- if you can --- the All in One is a what wattage? Also I would recommend getting another UVB -- I have been told that the All in Ones do not provide enough UVB -- so w/ that being said I would recommend getting a 24" fixture w/ reflector -- your tank is a 40 gallon ? How high is the tank ?
Karrie
107800-745395893.jpg

I’m not sure if this helps but I found a picture of the kit I was recommended at the pet store online because I’m not completely sure about the dimensions. I was told that this would last most of his life or all of it depending on if I want to buy him a bigger one when he is older which I am planning on doing.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the wattage of the solar glo bulb? And the tank is a 40 gallon?
Karrie

Justinsmith52

Original Poster
KarrieRee":h5uyb8vp said:
What is the wattage of the solar glo bulb? And the tank is a 40 gallon?
Karrie
I looked on the website and it said it is a 125 watt solar glo bulb. And I believe it is a 40 gallon tank.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Solar Glo 125 watt MVB is a nice bright light, though it doesn't emit a lot of UVB but it's
overall a nice light. You could get a tube bulb to use in combination with the Solar Glo for a
stronger UVB.
How close to him is the Solar Glo?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom