New Beardie Genitalia Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

So I recently bought a beautiful little female trans dragon. Total sweetie, and I love her already.

There is one question/concern I have though. There's a little red bump protruding from her hatch, and I have no idea what it is. Can't seem to find much info addressing this condition online either. Do any of you guys have any experience with this/can tell me more?

I got her from another pet owner who told me that she originally bought her from a breeder who said she had bred once before. However, I know this specific breeder, and the guy is a dishonest scumbag, so I take any info he provides with a large grain of salt. He already lied about this particular dragon to the woman I got her from (told her she was a hypo when she clearly isn't). Regardless, there's a chance she may have bred.

So anyways, does anyone have any ideas regarding what this issue is? Here are some pics.
97105-6983324648.jpg
97105-9851752291.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is possibly a prolapse. I suggest keeping it as clean as possible using water and maybe a little betadine. Sometimes offering a cool water bath mixed with sugar will help swelling go down and allow them to retract the tissue. You can try to gently guide it back in but don't be forceful with it. You don't want to damage the tissue. A vet visit is probably in order to address this. In the meantime I would also offer lots of water by dripping on her nose to lick up. Keeping her hydrated should be helpful. I would also avoid offering hard foods that are difficult to pass for a while.

http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That might actually be a male and the tip of a hemipene sticking out. The info that Cooper gave you would definitely apply to this.

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":2cpdk7mb said:
That might actually be a male and the tip of a hemipene sticking out. The info that Cooper gave you would definitely apply to this.
It's definitely female. 100% positive.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh O.K. I was throwing that out there because you said the original owner/breeder was untruthful. Have you positively sexed the dragon yourself ?

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":1q8z9pz1 said:
Oh O.K. I was throwing that out there because you said the original owner/breeder was untruthful. Have you positively sexed the dragon yourself ?
Yes I have, and this is when I noticed the apparent prolapse. 100% positive she's female.

SPandS

Juvie Member
First thing I also though was that it's really a male. If it is a male it would just make things a little easier as far a diagnosing. It could be a hemipene or even a sperm plug. If it's a female it could be a bit more dangerous being a prolapse. Have you tried the cool water and sugar bath? Has it changed at all?

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":1fuuremj said:
That's exactly the size of a sperm plug or hemipenee tip.
That's really interesting. I didn't feel the hemipenee along the inner sides of his/her tail base. My male also tried to mount him/her when I accidentally left the two of them uncaged in the same room. This was the source of my "certainty". When I noticed what they were doing, it was clear that he/she was submitting to him. I've also had this dragon out with my adult female and the two sat pleasantly and quietly with each other. Now I'm just confused as hell lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Males will often mount subordinate males and those males can also seem uninterested in breeding at times. Can you post a clear pic of the vent area with the tail arched up high ?

winkydinks

Original Poster
AHBD":4nk7k88w said:
Males will often mount subordinate males and those males can also seem uninterested in breeding at times. Can you post a clear pic of the vent area with the tail arched up high ?
So the issue seems resolved.

She laid a clutch of 25 infertile eggs (I inspected each egg thoroughly), and the prolapse seems to have fully retracted. Needless to say, she's definitely female lol.

Thanks for the support though!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, yes there was the definitive and undisputed answer !! Keep her well fed and hydrated, I'm sure you'll take good care of her. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom