Swollen area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anadoro

Original Poster
Thank you Tracie!
Any feedback helps me at least stay somewhat calm!
I'll take a picture in a bit since it's still early in the morning and Dragon is still asleep.
She has nothing to climb on except her hammock/lounger that's in the corner and one laid out on bottom to chill on, yet her wound somehow stretched out! Meaning she has nothing to continue hurting herself. She barely moves and it "pops open"
I try to push a little bit of food into her mouth when it's slightly open and she will bot have it! She gets a little annoyed by me, closes her eyes and just takes short breaths, glad to she that she can at least have some attitude :)
I still havent gotten a scale! So I'm really not sure if shes losing weight! Shes more happier after I bathe her. She continues to drink water if I give her some but also I keep her in the shower for about 10-15 minutes.
Would it be ok if I just mixed the probiotic/vitamin powder with water and tried giving that to her?

Anadoro

Original Poster
She ate! Half a blueberry and I coated the other with the probiotic powder but she did not want to eat anymore. So I mashed up the other half with more probiotic/vitamin powder with dandelion greens. I put it in a syringe and while she was making the licking motion I quickly fed her that!
She didnt seem too amused by that.
I think the diluted honey may have helped her.
I think the reason her scale/skin near the scab is cracking because the scab is drying up and it almost looks like the area is stretching which is causing it to "pop" open.
I'm including 2 pictures.
The 1st one has red arrows pointing to the "raw" stretched area and the green circle is around the scab that is drying, where the vet originally cut her to get any puss out. The blue arrow is pointing out an area that is dark which looks like it's just bruising over. The 2nd picture is without any drawings.
107618-5693925805.jpg
107618-7519313781.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I just wanted to add that plain or diluted raw honey is one of the best things you can use so do keep that up. Avoid daily baths, that actually dries your skin [ and scales ] so only bathe hat twice a week for 5-10 minutes to give her a chance to drink.

She is quite plump so don't worry about her eating more than twice a week, and a supplemental food like Critical Care formula OR your own home made smoothie by syringe is fine.

Also as Tracie said, the Meloxicam is not an antibiotic, it's pain reliever + anti inflammatory. Is there another antibiotic she's on ?

Anadoro

Original Poster
Yes! I got the names mixed up on here! The meloxicam is the one I can give orally as a pain killer. Vet said can give it to her every 24 hours. But I did my own research and for beardies, every 48-72 hours is recommended. The antibiotic shot is actually called ceftazadime!
When I spray the vetericyn it doesnt bother her but i tried once again with the diluted honey, a little less water this time and she twitched her leg again like it bothers her! She doesnt seem to like it one bit. And i just found out that the shower may have opened up the raw area a bit, but at least i can apply the honey and let its do its thing. It seemed to really help last night! If there is more bad bacteria then hopefully itll kill it off faster. She seemed a bit more happier this morning! And last night was my first attempt with the honey!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, so she did eat some then, she must be starting to feel better. So, she is on the
Ceftz for the antibiotic, ok no problem. You can definitely mix the probiotic in with water
or apple or grape juice or even some honey diluted too as AHBD suggests.
I am glad that it looks to be healing over now. Let it develop a scab since their skin/scales
heal differently than our skin does & it tends to take longer also.
I think she will be fine once it heals up & she can move more easily without it cracking open.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
My last past was 2 days ago, when she ate a bit. Yesterday she refused to eat again but i think she was feeling really bad because her wound opened up again a bit, this time i didnt shower her. I applied just a bit of the diluted honey and it really seems to help. I took her out for some sun for about 15-20 minutes. She really seemed to enjoy that.
I'm really trying to get her to eat, especially since she is on the antibiotic shot. Her next shot is today and I just hate how shes basically on an empty stomach, no wonder she feels sick!
I just replaced her UVB light last week. I order the standard Repti Sun 24 inch 17watt!
I was told the watt has to be higher?! I move her bed around so during the day if she wants to climb on it shed be about 6 inches away from the UVB lamp. Are you guys placing higher watt uvb bulbs? Any suggestions? I do have 2 heat domes in her home I guess I can replace one with another uvb bulb?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl, how does she handle the shots and how long will she be getting them ? The t8 uvb can be around 8-10" away from her. Glad to hear that the honey is helping, hope she continues to improve !

Anadoro

Original Poster
I think shes gotten used to the shot. We alternate arms each time and she only squirms when we're done with the shot rather then in the middle of administering the shot.
She hasnt eaten anything today I got a little piece of green in her mouth and just a little bit of the water mixed with the probiotic/vitamin powder. I had to wash her today because she pooped on her towels and spread it around. Of course I washed all her towels.
But just to confirm washing her does open the wound up a bit. I guess it gets the slightly healed over scales soggy and causes them to open. But I don't rub her, I just let the water run on her a bit and make sure it's just warm enough to the under side of my arm.
I'm continuing to use the diluted honey but try to use less water each time. That is the only thing that seems to quickly close up the wound.
I have enough shots to get me thru to the end of April (1 shot every 3 days).
I'll be taking her to her check up appointment at the end of the month so the vet can re-evaluate what's going on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless her, I'm glad she seems to be dealing with her situation pretty well.
The honey is very good so keep applying that for her & hopefully it will eventually
heal up for her.
I hope that she starts eating better, soon!
They sure do like making messes don't they? I know you will be happy to finally be done
with all of the shots & so will she.

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Anadoro

Original Poster
My Dragon has passed away 2 days ago.
I dont blame the vet.
But I truly think her body gave up with the antibitoc shots.
She had 8 more to go and Wednesday when we administered the shot, she didnt even squirm or try to move away. She passed away that evening. I truly believe she was unable to fully recover because the antibiotics took over and she was never herself. Having to give it every 3 days I noticed she would stop moving each time given.
I'm truly heart broken?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so sorry. :( You tried so hard and we know you loved her very much. I know that words can't really help but my heart really goes out to you. So sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom