my beardie is hiding for days - is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz13

My Beardie has been hiding for days and I am getting worried. He was eating a ton before this, then his diet just slowed to a stop. He would eat about 20-40 Dubia roaches a day. I just got him in December. I think he was about two months old. When I put him in his new home he was good for a while. He would freak out and jump at the glass. I think it was because he was new. I tried to work my way up on how long I was holding him. I might ave held him more than I should have. He slowed down on his eating, and tried to hide a lot. I have tile so I could hear him scratching at them when hiding. He went to bed earlier than he should have. My Beardie then would hide in the most enclosed area. He was like that for a day or so then I took him out. For I was worried about him. Within a few days he went back into hiding. I then read that I should let him do what comes natural. He hasn't come out for about a week. Should I be worried? I read about the Bumation, and he has been scratching at the glass a lot before he went to hide. What should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He should not be brumating and sleeping for days --- he is too young --- please go over the lighting in the tank basking temps and how your taking them? NO stickons they are inaccurate for basking temps-- the brand and bulb of the UVB coil or tube and where in the tank?
Please post pic of him and the tank
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG on top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

jazz13

Original Poster
I just uploaded a picture of my tank set-up. I'm using Reptisun10.UVB bulb and Zoo Med 150w basking spot lamp. I use a laser infrared temp gun and the basking spot is 100-105 degrees. He is hiding under the tree now. Should I take him out of hiding to take a pic? Thank you for all advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's a T 5 or T 8? The have certain distances they need to be-- ?
If it's a T 5 distance should be 8-10 inches from basking decor-- w/ wide holed screen-- if it's fine mesh 6-8 inches basking decor -- if it's a T 8 needs to be inside tank approx 8-10 inches from basking decor--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok and no cover bulb is exposed right? Is he basking--? Is he eating?
Karrie

jazz13

Original Poster
Right, no cover - the bulb is exposed. He hasn't come out to bask or eat in several days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I would suggest you get him into the vet--- has he pooped? Have you given him any water? They won't eat if they are dehydrated- please post a pic of him-- but IAM thinking he's needing a vet--
Here's a website to find a vet
www.arav.org
Karrie

jazz13

Original Poster
My name is Jasper, I'm 13 almost 14. I love these animals so much and when my Beardie was not doing so good I was so worried. I am so thankful to have found you. I read in other places to not have a water dish, but to spray the tip of his nose with water. I could not have guessed he was dehydrated! I gave him a bath and put water on his nose to drink. He happily liked it up! I gave him some food (that he also ate happily) and extended his light turn off timer for the night. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You must keep him hydrated ---- how big are the dubias are you feeding him? He needs salads every day so if you rinse the greens before serving he will get moisture that way as well and keep his staple feeder gutloaded meaning feed them at nite and then when you feed them in the morning they will be gut loaded --- the temp gauge in the tank does it have a probe? You need one w/ a probe to get correct basking temps of where he sits -- $5 from Petco or Petsmart --- the dubias are a great staple feeder ---- so feed him his salad first thing in the morning if you can get some super worms to add to the top of his salad 1-3 no more or butter worms or some BSFL to add to the top that would be good - the BSFL are a great staple feeder dont dust them w/ the calcium D3 as they are calcium enriched ---and you can feed as many as you want ---- you should be dusting his dubias 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- let me know how he does now --- any more questions please ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom