My beardie isn't eating lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy1222

I have a 2 to 4 month old beardie he just went through a shed last week is it normal for them to not eat a lot after they go through shed

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I responded to your PM also :)

It's common for them to loose a bit of their appetite before and during a shed. Sometimes after. A lot of things that aren't problematic can cause them to lose their appetite too, just ike us.

However, it's always a good reminder for us to double check our husbandry when something like this happens, so we can make sure everything else is ok.

Would you mind going over a few things with us, just so we can rule out a husbandry or diet issue? That way you can attribute the appetite to the shedding or just hormones lol.

What are you using for UVB?
What is your basking surface temp, and how are you measuring it?
Cool side temp?
What does his daily diet look like (when he is eating normally)

If you could post a picture of him and your setup, that would be great too!

-Brandon

Billy1222

Original Poster
I put greens in a dish everyday for him usually eats from it about once a day. Normally eats about 4 times a day about 20 dubias in the day. His basking spot is 108 and his cool side is 80 to 85. His uvb is reptisun 10.0 t8 water him aboit 3 times a day

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That all sounds fine :)
He's a good eater.

What are you using to measure the temperature? Do you have a digital with probe end or an IR thermometer? I see the stick on one on the back, but you can't rely on that for your basking surface temp.

-Brandon

Billy1222

Original Poster
The thing on the back is a digital for humidity and I use a probe for the cold side and then I use a gun at least 4 times a day on the whole cage to make sure

Billy1222

Original Poster
So thanks for the help from everyone who I talked to about my beardie. Got him to eat 5 dubias I've been trying to feed him in a separate bin then his tank. He wouldn't eat in the bin I have for feeding but was eating in his tank guess he doesn't like the feeding bin I have for him ??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure your T 8 is inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking decor and NO cover over the bulb it needs to be exposed ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dubias are filling versus crickets he will eat less plus depending on size of roach - more small than bigger but you don't want to feed over size
Karrie

Billy1222

Original Poster
Ya I feed him 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch he usually eats 5 that size 4 times a day been trying to get him to eat in separate feeding bin but he won't but he eats in his tank got him to eat 5 last night

Billy1222":2nn0spe0 said:
Ya I feed him 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch he usually eats 5 that size 4 times a day been trying to get him to eat in separate feeding bin but he won't but he eats in his tank got him to eat 5 last night

Nice sounds about right ? I usually have my guy eat that many. Currently trying to get a colony started to save money in the future lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom