Mario's Super World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking inspiration from other members, I figured this forum would be a good place to catalogue the life of Mario!

Obligatory picture of cuteness
107433-3220778336.jpg

Background
Mario is my daughter's dragon. She has been wanting one since Christmas, but I did NOT feel comfortable about keeping a creature in a box for our entertainment. My wife and I agreed that if she could prove herself responsible from the new year until her 10th birthday, we would get her a beardie with the understanding that she would be the one feeding it, bathing it, and cleaning out its enclosure. In the meantime I would do the research to talk her out of getting a reptile.

How valuable research is! We discovered this amazing community of helpful folks that eventually changed my mind about these awesome creatures. The images of sad, sick lizards in tiny boxes that I remembered my friends having in school were quickly replaced by amazing tales of companionship among beardies and their servants (the humans!)

It turns out my daughter was serious about getting a BD. She cleaned her room without asking, did chores without complaining, and helped her younger siblings, all with a smile on her face. About a month ago I started the real research of husbandry and laid out the roadwork for our new family member.

Mario's 1st Friend
107433-647770819.jpg

Mario's 2nd Friend
107433-5750837228.jpg

So we got him! Knowing that this was quite a lot to take on, my wife and I budgeted all the supplies over 4 pay periods. We slowly built a collection of roaches, building supplies, lights and fixtures, and other accouterment. It has all been worth it, as you can see!

Exploring His New Home
107433-5343149309.jpg
107433-2478570957.jpg
107433-5340462858.jpg

He's starting to settle in nicely and doesn't seem the least bit phased about the chaos in our house. He lives on top of a bookcase in a highly traveled area, basking right near the window so he can keep an eye on us!

Keeping an Eye on His Subjects
107433-2437217403.jpg

Mario has eaten twice. Yesterday afternoon, about 18 hours after bringing him home, he gobbled 12 Dubia roaches in about 1 minute! He went very dark, scrambled onto his rock, and basked there until the lights went out. In the morning he was in the exact same place! :lol:

Collard Greens, Squash, and Cucumber
107433-9589576278.jpg

This morning my daughter started his regular routine. Again, he scarfed down 12 roaches in about a minute before climbing onto the hammock and eyeing the food bowl. After 5 minutes or so of this he decided he was full and scampered over to his basking spot.

Mario's "Murder Pit"
107433-9411851954.jpg

Post-Feeding Posing
107433-4462680873.jpg
107433-709262109.jpg

That's all for now! My daughter will try bathing him tomorrow, and while he is out and about we're going to weigh him again. Let's see what the math looks like...6 grams + ~50 roaches = :?:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's one of the best parts about baby dragons, their sleeping positions! This is why I have 5 dragons... I keep wanting babies lol.

-Brandon

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Mario is 10 weeks as of yesterday!

We did a deep clean of his enclosure today, and he got his first bath!
107433-3861867245.jpg
107433-3606354450.jpg

I cut out a big hole in the Dubia roach bin and hot glued some metal mesh to the top for some more ventilation. Seems to be better for them, but the humidity doesn't stay as well now. :roll:

Mario is still eating really well, but I dunno where it all goes because he is still 7 grams, 6 inches! I could have swore his tail looked an inch longer earlier this week, but I measured him today before his bath and it's ...not. :? Does anyone have a guess on when the explosive eating and growth starts?
107433-1004284691.jpg

In more personal news, my furlough at work ended and we are now making PPE for hospitals around the state. Holy moly it's good to get back to work!

Hope everyone is staying safe,
-Ian

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he shedding? He is really little- what all is he eating? And how many times per day are you feeding him?
Karrie

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mby40ce said:
Is he shedding? He is really little- what all is he eating? And how many times per day are you feeding him?
Karrie

Not shedding that I can tell. He only eats 3-7 dubias or BSLF every feeding, so about 7-12 bugs every day because he is fed twice a day. If he eats 7 or 8 during a feeding, he'll only eat 1 or 2 the next feeding. That plus his salad, which we discovered he definitely eats.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is great he is eating his salads--- and the dubias your feeding are small right? Feed him as many as he will eat -- little guy is really little and all the lighting is good
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Ian,

Glad you're able to get back to work!

Mario is looking fine! Not all dragons have explosive growth. He is making slow and steady progress and that's all that matters. IMO, slow grow and less bugs is healthier for longevity than super quick growth and dragons becoming full grown size at 6-8 months.

I've been around dragons for a long time, and unfortunately I've seen many dragons not make it past a couple years. IMO, a lot of that has to do with genetics, but a lot of it has to do with this want to overfeed and get them to grow super quick.
Health is the key, growth will follow :)

He is eating a good amount right now, and him eating his salads is great! Just keep doing what you're doing. One day you will wish he was still this tiny baby!

-Brandon

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1crfyb0w said:
That is great he is eating his salads--- and the dubias your feeding are small right? Feed him as many as he will eat -- little guy is really little and all the lighting is good
Karrie

Yep, the little 1/4" ones from dubiaroaches.com. We'll put about 20 in the big, brown dish and he'll jump in there, munch for maybe a minute, then hop out. I've only seen him go back in once. It's the same with BSLF.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":l7za6wrf said:
He is eating a good amount right now, and him eating his salads is great! Just keep doing what you're doing. One day you will wish he was still this tiny baby!

-Brandon

Sounds good to me! He seems content, and frankly I'm glad I'm not spending a fortune on bugs!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
MariosDad":2328bbqg said:
Claudiusx":2328bbqg said:

-Brandon

Sounds good to me! He seems content, and frankly I'm glad I'm not spending a fortune on bugs!

Haha like me! Their appetites have finally started to taper off, but mine didn't eat a lot for the first few weeks either. I'm sure some dragons are like humans. Some have large appetites some don't. He's very cute. I always read whatever they can eat in a 10-15 minute span. How old is he now? Mine made 5 months on the third of April.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
opaquelace":1ino4rga said:
Haha like me!

Exactly! :lol:
Although this morning he ate 11 BSLF, then 3 roaches this evening! I may have spoken too soon :shock:

opaquelace":1ino4rga said:
Their appetites have finally started to taper off, but mine didn't eat a lot for the first few weeks either. I'm sure some dragons are like humans. Some have large appetites some don't. He's very cute. I always read whatever they can eat in a 10-15 minute span. How old is he now? Mine made 5 months on the third of April.

We think he's cute, too! He'll be "11 weeks" on Saturday, if he was 4 weeks when we got him. We decided Feb. 1 is his birthday in our calendars!

-Ian

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My wife snapped this glamour shot of Mario today, showing off that sexy leg!
107433-4496086496.jpg

Then tonight he slept in a new spot. It's crazy how they can sleep just balancing and holding on with their front legs!
107433-8573233573.jpg
107433-7849544505.jpg

-Ian

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Great pics! ? It is amazing how they can keep their balance while asleep. I'd fall off in a heartbeat! Lmao! ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I LOVE baby sleeping pics. They sleep in the weirdest positions. It's definitely one of the best parts of baby beardies! (I feel like I say that about a lot of things baby beardies do... LOL)

-Brandon

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":33wwjfo0 said:
I LOVE baby sleeping pics. They sleep in the weirdest positions. It's definitely one of the best parts of baby beardies! (I feel like I say that about a lot of things baby beardies do... LOL)

-Brandon
Well you haven’t been wrong yet! We’re all loving this lil guy and his quirks?

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Oh so he’s really young! He must have been sooo small! We got ours middle of January and they hatched beginning of November so when we got ours they were about the same age as yours now. I can’t wait to see how he develops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom