Mario's Super World

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Mario's Super World

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 am

That's one of the best parts about baby dragons, their sleeping positions! This is why I have 5 dragons... I keep wanting babies lol.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby MariosDad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:13 pm

Mario is 10 weeks as of yesterday!

We did a deep clean of his enclosure today, and he got his first bath!
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I cut out a big hole in the Dubia roach bin and hot glued some metal mesh to the top for some more ventilation. Seems to be better for them, but the humidity doesn't stay as well now. :roll:

Mario is still eating really well, but I dunno where it all goes because he is still 7 grams, 6 inches! I could have swore his tail looked an inch longer earlier this week, but I measured him today before his bath and it's ...not. :? Does anyone have a guess on when the explosive eating and growth starts?
[Click image to enlarge]

In more personal news, my furlough at work ended and we are now making PPE for hospitals around the state. Holy moly it's good to get back to work!

Hope everyone is staying safe,
-Ian
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 old dog (in our hearts, RIP Kibo), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a new beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:24 pm

Is he shedding? He is really little- what all is he eating? And how many times per day are you feeding him?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby MariosDad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Is he shedding? He is really little- what all is he eating? And how many times per day are you feeding him?
Karrie

Not shedding that I can tell. He only eats 3-7 dubias or BSLF every feeding, so about 7-12 bugs every day because he is fed twice a day. If he eats 7 or 8 during a feeding, he'll only eat 1 or 2 the next feeding. That plus his salad, which we discovered he definitely eats.
Mario's Dad- 3 kids, 1 old dog (in our hearts, RIP Kibo), 2 barn cats, 6 chickens, and a new beardie named Mario!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm

That is great he is eating his salads--- and the dubias your feeding are small right? Feed him as many as he will eat -- little guy is really little and all the lighting is good
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi Ian,

Glad you're able to get back to work!

Mario is looking fine! Not all dragons have explosive growth. He is making slow and steady progress and that's all that matters. IMO, slow grow and less bugs is healthier for longevity than super quick growth and dragons becoming full grown size at 6-8 months.

I've been around dragons for a long time, and unfortunately I've seen many dragons not make it past a couple years. IMO, a lot of that has to do with genetics, but a lot of it has to do with this want to overfeed and get them to grow super quick.
Health is the key, growth will follow :)

He is eating a good amount right now, and him eating his salads is great! Just keep doing what you're doing. One day you will wish he was still this tiny baby!

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby MariosDad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:54 pm

KarrieRee wrote:That is great he is eating his salads--- and the dubias your feeding are small right? Feed him as many as he will eat -- little guy is really little and all the lighting is good
Karrie

Yep, the little 1/4" ones from dubiaroaches.com. We'll put about 20 in the big, brown dish and he'll jump in there, munch for maybe a minute, then hop out. I've only seen him go back in once. It's the same with BSLF.
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby MariosDad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:58 pm

Claudiusx wrote:He is eating a good amount right now, and him eating his salads is great! Just keep doing what you're doing. One day you will wish he was still this tiny baby!

-Brandon

Sounds good to me! He seems content, and frankly I'm glad I'm not spending a fortune on bugs!
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby opaquelace » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:27 am

MariosDad wrote:
Claudiusx wrote:He is eating a good amount right now, and him eating his salads is great! Just keep doing what you're doing. One day you will wish he was still this tiny baby!

-Brandon

Sounds good to me! He seems content, and frankly I'm glad I'm not spending a fortune on bugs!

Haha like me! Their appetites have finally started to taper off, but mine didn't eat a lot for the first few weeks either. I'm sure some dragons are like humans. Some have large appetites some don't. He's very cute. I always read whatever they can eat in a 10-15 minute span. How old is he now? Mine made 5 months on the third of April.
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

Postby MariosDad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:08 pm

opaquelace wrote:Haha like me!

Exactly! :lol:
Although this morning he ate 11 BSLF, then 3 roaches this evening! I may have spoken too soon :shock:

opaquelace wrote:Their appetites have finally started to taper off, but mine didn't eat a lot for the first few weeks either. I'm sure some dragons are like humans. Some have large appetites some don't. He's very cute. I always read whatever they can eat in a 10-15 minute span. How old is he now? Mine made 5 months on the third of April.

We think he's cute, too! He'll be "11 weeks" on Saturday, if he was 4 weeks when we got him. We decided Feb. 1 is his birthday in our calendars!

-Ian
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Re: Mario's Super World-Pics!!

Postby MariosDad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 pm

My wife snapped this glamour shot of Mario today, showing off that sexy leg![Click image to enlarge]

Then tonight he slept in a new spot. It's crazy how they can sleep just balancing and holding on with their front legs!
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

-Ian
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby DragonPete » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:58 am

Great pics! 😊 It is amazing how they can keep their balance while asleep. I'd fall off in a heartbeat! Lmao! 😆
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:00 am

I LOVE baby sleeping pics. They sleep in the weirdest positions. It's definitely one of the best parts of baby beardies! (I feel like I say that about a lot of things baby beardies do... LOL)

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby MariosDad » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:19 am

Claudiusx wrote:I LOVE baby sleeping pics. They sleep in the weirdest positions. It's definitely one of the best parts of baby beardies! (I feel like I say that about a lot of things baby beardies do... LOL)

-Brandon

Well you haven’t been wrong yet! We’re all loving this lil guy and his quirks🥰
MariosDad
Hatchling Poster

Postby opaquelace » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh so he’s really young! He must have been sooo small! We got ours middle of January and they hatched beginning of November so when we got ours they were about the same age as yours now. I can’t wait to see how he develops!
opaquelace
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie Tales