Will not stop surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JellyKeen

My bearded dragon has recently come out of brumination about 1.5 months ago. Ever since she has been up, she has constantly been glass surfing, No matter the temp, size of tank, amount of food, or time spend out of her enclose.
She is 17 inches and ~1.5 years old maybe?
Enclosure (in Inches) is 10.5 Height, 16 width, and 45 length
Eats crickets and always has a bowl of omnivorous mix and bowl of water in her tank
As of the moment, her temp is ~100 degrees, it was 85-90 before I changed the bulb to a higher wattage, to see if that may help. Her cool side is typically 10-15 degrees cooler than her basking side.
She has plenty of hides as well, but refuses to ever go into them. When I let her out of the cage to roam, she runs to a dark corner and falls asleep. After awhile I will put her back in the tank to warm up, and not even 5 minutes later, she is surfing. Please help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB and where is it? Brand and bulb coil or tube? The tank is not big enough for her according to the dimensions you gave you have her in a 30 gallon tank is that correct? If it is I would upgrade that tank to a 75-120 gallon which is what is recommended for an adult dragon
Karrie

JellyKeen

Original Poster
You know what, you may be a life saver. I was told that it was a male upon purchase, and found out it was a girl about a week ago. The current tank was really just something to hang out in until I could find a more suitable tank that I can afford. My job is going out of business in June and I just do not have the money for a new tank ATM, especially with the you know what going around the world ATM. Any suggestions on where I can get a suitable tank for a bit cheaper than normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Look on FB MarketWatch or Craigslist look for a tank w/ front doors as big as you can find if you find one make sure you sanitize the tank real good-- at this time I don't know of any on sale- I had heard Zen habitats we're backed w/ orders till May
Karrie

JellyKeen

Original Poster
The only thing is, she was perfectly fine in a 40 gal before she bruminated, and then she woke up and just hates it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Could be hormones lots of pent up energy from sleeping- is she just glass surfing ? Any digging? Has she laid eggs before?
Karrie

JellyKeen

Original Poster
Never laid eggs before, and once I found out she was female I get her a sand pit, and she enjoys digging in that. The only reason she did not have one before was because she would eat the sand as a juvenile, but has not been eating it now.

JCWinston10

I’m having the same issue after brumation. My male has been crazy for about a month since he woke up and tries to climb the walls and runs into them when we let him out. Also about 1.5 years old and in 40 gallon breeder. I don’t think the tank size is the issue with the way he acts outside of it as well. I’ve heard their hormones can get crazy looking for a mate but that usually only lasts a few weeks... all his needs are met and lighting is good.

JellyKeen

Original Poster
I have actually made a ramp from her cage down to the floor so she can come and go as she pleases and this has severely helped the situation. If they have a tank with front opening glass, leave part of it open and they'll be surfing and then realize this part is open and go down the little pillow ramp, it is actually pretty cute. But the hormones part does make sense, I just do not want her to keep surfing, and with my budget, the ramp is the best band aid fix for the moment.

JCWinston10

That’s a good idea and glad it’s helped for you. Unfortunately, my tank is top opening and he bounces off the walls in our reptile room even when’s he out of the tank. Hoping things calm down soon...

If your looking for a larger enclosure, Animal Plastics has a 4’x2’x1’ for $190. It has sliding glass doors in the front and you can speak to them on the phone to get holes drilled screen opening, etc. Go to their web page at www.animalplastics.com. They, too are back ordered; but better to get an order in somewhere and wait than to keep looking, not find anything and then have to wait even longer!

JellyKeen

Original Poster
Thank you Kaylee, I will take a look at that. As of the moment, I do have a coworker who's parents may have a suitable tank, so we are working out the details on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom