Swollen/shut eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My girl is keeping her eye shut mostly and it’s a little swollen. We rescued her, she was on deaths door when we adopted her about 2 years ago (abandoned outside in winter) she was a baby and had all the signs of MBD. She’s doing well now but one of her eyes has always looked blueish with a weird pupil. Lately it’s been looking swollen and she keeps it mostly shut. Thoughts? Any idea what it could be? Pics are attached. Thank you so much! We are worried about her.
107541-786782937.jpg
107541-1280534128.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Coil or tube? And what substrate is she on?
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
Thank you for responding! We use tube. And I use a fleece substrate and put a tiny bit of sand underneath her hiding log.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It could be she got sand in her eye and this is whats irritating it --- I would get rid of it and use some paper towels for now or invest in some NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store -- its cheap easy to clean and the insects cant get underneath-- the UVB is a good one like a Reptisun 10.0 bulb? You can use some saline solution to rinse her eye and then use some honey mixed w / a little warm water and apply w/ a Q tip - see if that starts to heal it -make sure there are NO crickets in the tank left over nite - they will go straight for that eye --- some others on here might have another idea for the eye as well -
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
Karrie thank you so much for your suggestion and response I appreciate it!! I will definitely get the sand out of there and try the shelf adhesive. Good idea! And yes it is that reptisun 10 bulb! She’s not the best hunter so I monitor her feeding in a separate tank. No feeders in her primary tank!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the UVB where do you have it at? And is it the T 5 or the T 8 - ? they have different distances they need to be that is why I am asking-- are you feeding her salads every day?
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
We try to feed her salads every day but she is picky. She is a little overweight right now so we are doing our best to limit fatty insects and giving her dubias 2-3x per week and greens the rest of the week. And it’s a T-8.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
And you have the T 8 placed inside the tank ? Approx 8-10 inches from basking decor? If the eye thing does not clear up you may want to take her into the vet --- here is a website to find a vet if you dont have one --- www.arav.org
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
It is resting on top of the tank. Not inside. But yes I am going to try your suggestions. If it doesn’t clear up there is an exotic vet few towns over I will bring her to. Thank you again Karrie :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the T 8 should be inside the tank -- approx 8-10 inches from her basking spot -- the screen is filtering 30% of those rays --- and NO cover on the fixture covering the bulb - it needs to be exposed --- the bulb should be changed out every 6 months as well - you can hang the fixture w/ long plastic zip ties -- fishing line --- 3M velcro fasteners --- picture wire hanger -- shoe laces --
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her appetite should increase w/ the better exposure to the UVB rays--
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
I hope so because I noticed she doesn’t have the best appetite. I am going to cut some holes in the screen and hang it underneath with zip ties :) you have been so helpful and I hope these changes help. Thank you so much!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep us posted on her eye- I would apply the honey/ mixture a couple times a day-- let us know if she starts eating better
Karrie

spaceballs

Original Poster
Hi KarrieRee,

Thank you again for all your suggestions. We did make the modifications you suggested, and it turns out her eye shed! Though weeks later, she is still not eating much.I just made a new post explaining everything, as we are giving her critical care. I have posted it in BeardieER. A copy of the message below:

She is 1 year old and she has not been interested in eating in eating on her own at all! We've been giving her water with liquid calcium (properly diluted) (she is drinking fine) as well as critical care (omnivore). She isn't interested in worms, dubias, veggies, etc.

She seems a lethargic, but she has always sort of been on the lazy side.

About two weeks ago, we did a nice thorough clean of her tank and got new bulbs as well as placed the UV inside her tank (lowered it so it would not be blocked by the mesh screen topper). Her temperatures on both sides are correct.

Today I gave her a warm soak and she pooped and her urine was orange/yellowish? She did not struggle to go to the bathroom or anything, but it looks strange (please see the picture). Can anyone please provide me with any ideas as to why her urine is that color, her low activity, and why she isn't interested in eating? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during these crazy times!
107541-2949306802.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom