EATING LESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!!!
I'm just going through a struggle that I know many people have. My beardie is usually a garbage disposal, eating everything in sight. However, for the past month, I've noticed he's been eating less and less. Typically, he'd eat about 20-25 mealworms and 10-15 dubias a day. Now its hard to get him to eat a few. His poops have also gotten smaller. However, it doesn't look like he's lost any weight, if he has, not much. Its also been about a month and a half since his last shed. Is this just a phase he's going through that he will grow out of? Is he just stocking up waiting for a growth spurt or something?

Setup
-50 gallon
-Repticarpet
-100°-105°F basking spot
-Reptisun T5 5.0 UVB 22" strip mounted 12 in. away from basking spot
-Humidity 30%-40%

106660-5500297560.jpg
106660-9933171416.jpg
These pictures were taken a few hours before posting this. Thank you for your insights and replies!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is how old? Tank sounds like its a good set up- they do tend to slow down on eating -- what about a shed when was the last time he shedded? Are you feeding him any salads? He should be eating salads and less of the insects if he is a year or older --- they also like variety as well---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The reptisun 5.0 T5 needs to be 6-8 inches from the basking site. It's the 10.0 that needs to be 12 inches.

How does he do with eating his salads? He looks like he's getting pretty big, he should be eating a good bit of salad now.

-Brandon

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Hello everyone,
First, I will make sure to adjust distance so it is 6-8 inches.
Second, I just got my T5 5.0 UVB bulb a few days ago from posting this.
Third, I've had my beardie for about 5 months, but I wasn't sure how old he was when I got him, so I'm gonna assume he's around 7 - 8 months.
I offer a bowl of Kale daily, but he shows little interest in it. I've tried butternut squash, apples, and carrots. He liked carrots for a bit, then never showed any interest. Same thing with kale.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well based on the picture, he looks very active and alert and healthy.

Sometimes they just go through moods. I would continue to monitor his weight maybe weekly, and keep offering him his food. For now, I wouldn't be too concerned :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They like variety please check out the feeding board and look for the nutrition website ignore the kale thing it's a good staple
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom