Question about vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took my bearded dragon to the vet (it’s not a reptile vet. Idk how to find one. I’ve googled everyone so if you know any good ways to find one let me know) however they do say they look at reptiles. Well my bearded dragon Biggie hasn’t been eating. She hadn’t eaten for about a week. So I got worried and took her to the vet. I told them her symptoms. I said “she hasn’t eaten for a week. She quit pooping when she quit eating. She has been digging around in her cage kinda like when he laid eggs 2 months ago, but since she laid eggs 2 months ago I don’t think she would be laying them again” they asked if they could do a Xray. I said yes because ya know. I was worried. They come back and say, “she doesn’t have eggs. What the problem is, is that she is probably constipated. You need to change her diet” so after writing down the instructions they give I come home and give her a bath to help. Then I come back later on tonight and look in her cage and lo and behold.... THERE ARE EGGS!! There are about 15 at this point and I’m confused to how the vet could tell me it’s DEFINITELY not eggs, but then I get home and see eggs. It makes me think they didn’t even look at the X-ray or take one but I was charged for one. Should I call and complain?? Any advice? Also is it normal for a bearded dragon to have eggs 2 months ago and then again so soon? What would you do if you were me?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Well that's a good example of why regular vets are not sufficient for reptiles or exotics. They need the special training they is given to exotic and reptile vets to be able to treat reptiles.

To answer your question though, yes it is definitely possible and common. Sometimes they only go a few weeks in between laying.

Make sure you're giving her a bit extra calcium.and food right now to help restore her nutrient stores.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh and I would definitely call and complain and at least get your money back for the xray as they clearly weren't able to properly interpret it in the first place, so they shouldn't have done it.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This has happened before on this site, and the vet was actually affiliated with a zoo ! So yah, they can be clueless or [ hopefully not ] reckless or untruthful. Take pics of the dragon laying the eggs for proof and definitely ask for a refund or to show you the xrays or better yet, GIVE you the xrays. Eggs are easy to see on xray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom