Swollen front leg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikstar49

Hi, I have a 3 year old rescue Male beardie he wasn't
in great condition when I had him, he will not eat any salad/veg though he will eat wax worms, locusts and crickets in abundance. His left forearm has become very swollen, he has been prescribed metacam and antibiotics zodon he does not appear to be getting any better the leg is still swollen and has now changed colour to a pale colour than the rest of him. I have been reading the forums here and some have suggested gout any advice would be appreciated.

Nikstar49

Original Poster
107758-8580635767.jpg
107758-2026869692.jpg
Hi Karrie,
Thanks I think that I have uploaded a few pics now the vet did xray him so have put that on as well
107758-1295256778.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The swelling does look a bit like gout. I don't see structural damage in the x-ray. Did the vet run a blood test or take a sample from the swollen area to check for uric acid crystals or high uric acid levels?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are there any other hands, feet, etc that are showing any puffiness or swelling yet?
That is either onset of gout, or a bacterial type of infection. Gout is not easily diagnosed
by x-ray, because it depends on the composition of the crystals. Blood test readings are
usually the best way to determine it, but they can aspirate fluids to look for crystals, too.
We can review your supplementation & diet for him too if you need.

Tracie

Nikstar49

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

The vet has been unable to get a blood sample, I am currently bathing him daily for hydration, dusting his food in calcium, I have a vitamin supplement from vet he has daily, cherry juice and baby food swelling has gone down slightly and he is a lot more active

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like he has a bit of swelling in his other front arm too.

Especially with the fact that the antibiotics aren't working, it's most likely gout.

What does his daily diet look like? You will want to keep the protein low, and keep up with the cherry extract.

Hydration is very important. But be aware, bathing doesn't hydrate dragons at all unless they actually drink in the bath. If they don't, you need to find another way to hydrate whether that be dripping water on the nose, or spraying the salads down well with water.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear his swelling has gone down a little bit. Continue with the cherry juice,
daily right now as well as a little extra oral fluids, too.
As suggested, try to keep his protein levels a bit lower also so his kidneys can get flushed out.
I would try to focus on vegetation & fluids a little more. I recommend keeping his insect levels
no more than 25 per week right now.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom