Stuck Scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notta

I just recently noticed a grayish black scale on my bearded dragons tail. When I touch it he recoils and pulls his tail away and he doesn’t do that when I touch anywhere else on his tail. He hasn’t had a tail shed in months and I bathe him regularly in warm water, I feed him roaches too and they don’t bite him and I watch every feeding so idk what it could be. Here’s a picture:
https://imgur.com/BHk3Kdy

There should be two images there, one high quality one and on unfocused one that’s closer. Thanks for reading and any info on what this could be would be unbelievably helpful.

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Notta":2yqswoyi said:
I just recently noticed a grayish black scale on my bearded dragons tail. When I touch it he recoils and pulls his tail away and he doesn’t do that when I touch anywhere else on his tail. He hasn’t had a tail shed in months and I bathe him regularly in warm water, I feed him roaches too and they don’t bite him and I watch every feeding so idk what it could be. Here’s a picture:
https://imgur.com/BHk3Kdy

There should be two images there, one high quality one and on unfocused one that’s closer. Thanks for reading and any info on what this could be would be unbelievably helpful.
Could be a spider mite I'd try to lay that body part under water and see if it moves as mites can be drowned and if it does you can introduce predatory mites that aren't harmful to the reptile "Hypoasis mile mites " there are brand products that say they help but heard they dont "Preventacide" maybe try scrub it softly with a toothbrush while soaking him could be stuck poop on him or dirt. Mites are like red dots but theirs different species look in armpits and under legs and tail also neck and beard. Is he rubbing on surfaces or itching type behavior

Notta

Original Poster
My bad, there is only the blurry picture there, here’s the higher quality one. While I do not think it’s any of those things I’ll still definitely try it in the morning, thanks for the tip!
https://imgur.com/YvTSu06

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Notta":2sclc7h4 said:
My bad, there is only the blurry picture there, here’s the higher quality one. While I do not think it’s any of those things I’ll still definitely try it in the morning, thanks for the tip!
https://imgur.com/YvTSu06
Could be a shed beginning could be scale rot starting so keep a close eye and see it anymore scales become like that or could just be a weird scale I've seen a couple like that

Notta

Original Poster
Ok, will do. If the picture doesn't portray it good enough, the scale is grey and kinda crusty (like its half shed or something) and down the middle of it there's a raised black line. The scale also seems to be bigger than the ones around it, almost like its two scales in one, or maybe two scales got pushed together and the black line is them colliding and that part started to die or something? I have no idea . Also idk if it shows in either of the pictures but theres a pure black scale tip further down the tail, but he doesn't react to it at all when i touch it or scratch at it (no I'm not trying to scratch it off haha, just seeing if its part of the scale or broken or different textured or anything like that)

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Notta":2qc6brdb said:
Ok, will do. If the picture doesn't portray it good enough, the scale is grey and kinda crusty (like its half shed or something) and down the middle of it there's a raised black line. The scale also seems to be bigger than the ones around it, almost like its two scales in one, or maybe two scales got pushed together and the black line is them colliding and that part started to die or something? I have no idea . Also idk if it shows in either of the pictures but theres a pure black scale tip further down the tail, but he doesn't react to it at all when i touch it or scratch at it (no I'm not trying to scratch it off haha, just seeing if its part of the scale or broken or different textured or anything like that)
Sounds like stuck shed I'd spray him with a spray bottle or soak him and even scrub with a toothbrush that's hasnt been used for anything else besides the beardie doesn't seem to be a mite cause if u tried picking that it would move quick. Still keep an eye on it to see if other scales get like that or if there's any like that in other areas

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Has it always been there? If not definitely watch it .if it cannot be bathed off I'd see what others say if anything was left out of the equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom