Is it safe for a cold beardie to eat??

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Is it safe for a cold beardie to eat??

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi all. My bulb blew just a few minutes ago. I have a ceramic heat lamp, but I don't want to put it past 30°C, the max temp for the thermostat, because it gets so hot when near it (He can't touch it but if he jumps he'll get pretty near). It's on the cool side so he's a little confused for now :/.

I figure that isn't enough for him to digest food properly. He's 6months old. Is it ok for him to miss tonight and tomorrow's breakfast feeding? Is it safe to feed them when it's a bit too cold?
rhaegaldrogo
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is it safe for a cold beardie to eat??

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:20 pm

They will not eat if he is cold -- they need to be warm --- I would go get a new basking bulb ASAP -- you can try using a household bulb a regular one NO LED they produce no heat -- try a 100 watt bulb but make sure you have your digital temp probe or infrared heat gun to get a temp---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:27 pm

KarrieRee wrote:They will not eat if he is cold -- they need to be warm --- I would go get a new basking bulb ASAP -- you can try using a household bulb a regular one NO LED they produce no heat -- try a 100 watt bulb but make sure you have your digital temp probe or infrared heat gun to get a temp---
Karrie

He tried to eat earlier lol I skipped itg tho. Yeah I should be able to get one tomorrow if the pet shop or hardwear store is still open :/
Thank you :)
rhaegaldrogo
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi there,

To directly answer your question, yes it is safe for them to eat if they are cold. For instance, my dragons eat first thing in the morning when lights come on because I have to go to work early. What isn't ok is them not being able to digest and warm up. :)

I would definitely just use a normal household bulb and try to get temps proper with it. A lot of us here actually use household bulbs for our basking bulbs.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby rhaegaldrogo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Claudiusx wrote:Hi there,

To directly answer your question, yes it is safe for them to eat if they are cold. For instance, my dragons eat first thing in the morning when lights come on because I have to go to work early. What isn't ok is them not being able to digest and warm up. :)

I would definitely just use a normal household bulb and try to get temps proper with it. A lot of us here actually use household bulbs for our basking bulbs.

-Brandon

Ahh gotcha, I thought as much :). I was considering that, but it's very hard to find a screw fit bulb where I live unfortunately
rhaegaldrogo
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Health
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health