HELP! TAIL DIFFERENT COLOUR? NOT SHEDDING? STRESS MARKS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi ive got a new beardie named dude, im not quite sure how old he is he is about 7 inches so i would say 7 - 8 weeks? Im worried about his tail and his shedding, we got him about 1 month ago and he hasnt shed once only a small part of his foot! His tail is a complete different colour to his body and has been this way for about 1 week, he is quite active still, loves climbing and loves his crickets! He loves kale but wont eat any other vegies or fruit often, despite school [now closed] i stilll always give him a variety of fruit and vegies in the morning watermelon, rocket, corn, carrot, etc, etc, but when i come home he still hasnt eaten, i put his multivitamins on his vegies and calcium on his insects so im afraid hes not meeting his nutritional needs, hes about 13 - 14 grams, i recently bought him an omnivour mix, flowers, dried fruit, dried insects all his nutritional stuff can someone give me some tips to help him shed and help me out with whats wrong with his tail, thank you. Ive also noticed he has stress marks unsure of what this could be from and how to get rid of them, can somebody please give me a hand and help me out

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of tank and lighting and his foot
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pics -- we need info on husbandry ------------- what are his basking temps and how are you taking them ?? No stick ons they are inaccurate --- they need to be taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe -- probes from Petco / Petsmart for $5 -- infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for $10-12-------------- it good hes eating kale you can try mixing w/ other greens from here plus squash -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- alternate the vitamins w/ the calcium your giving 5 x per week w/ calcium and 2 x per week w/ the vitamins ---
Karrie

dudethebeardiee

Original Poster
hey there will post some photos of his tank this afternoon as im pretty busy today i live in australia, and we know his tank temps are 35- 37 degrees on warm side which calculates to about 97 degrees farenhight the cold side is about 24 - 26 degrees which calculates to 77 degrees farenhight, we have a stick on will def look into getting an infrared gun though, its difficult getting advice on here as everything has to be transfered through american to australian! its not a very good photo as i said ill get more later this afternoon
107691-2589174058.jpg

dudethebeardiee

Original Poster
i found a better po=hoto these are a few days old his tail has gotten lighter and lighter maybe shedding ill upload more later and youll see what i mean
107691-7720329524.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just from what I am seeing it looks like it's gonna shed
Karrie

dudethebeardiee

Original Poster
yep! he just started shedding as i speak! But he still has stress marks and is glass surfing alot
107691-1348962495.jpg
he mainly does it at the back where the black is

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I agree, that is a shed coming on. Is his entire tail shedding then? He is a tiny one,
& will be shedding a lot for awhile.
Have you double checked the temperatures to be sure they are not too hot for him? They
do have darker colors sometimes when they are thermoregulating.
Is he eating very much right now?

Tracie

dudethebeardiee

Original Poster
hi, yes his whole tail is shedding, he is eating quite a bit for a lil dude like him i would assume his temps arnt to hot as he loves climbing his tree and chilling there

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the substrate hes on wood chips? I would get rid of those and put in some textured NON adhesive shelf liner but before you do that the tank you have him in is a what size? It doesnt look like theres a lot of floor space - that could be the reason for a lot of your glass surfing--- you need a tank that is at least 40 gallon but bigger if you can go that route -- 75-120 gallon if possible
Karrie

dudethebeardiee

Original Poster
we are actually already planning on getting a wood tank hes on a wood mix with organic coco mix or something like that made for beardies but will definently get him some fake grass or tiles,we allready knew we would need to upgrade we just thought itd be a good starter tank for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the sooner the better loose substrate is not good too much risk for impaction--- textured slated ceramic tiles or textured NON adhesive shelf liner is good ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom