Need advice, possibly sick beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need advice. recently my bearded dragon Diego keeps opening and closing his mouth but the temperature in his tank is fine and same with the house. He is showing no other signs of sickness. There is no discharge coming from his eyes mouth or nose and he seems to be walking around and active but it's just worrying me as he is doing it constantly. does anyone know what might be wrong with him?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tell us what his set up is --- basking temps and how are you taking them and what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb? Is he gaping ? That is him regulating his temp -- that is normal if hes under his basking light to do this
Karrie

diegothebeardie05

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1ml38tmz said:
Tell us what his set up is --- basking temps and how are you taking them and what are you using for a UVB brand and bulb? Is he gaping ? That is him regulating his temp -- that is normal if hes under his basking light to do this
Karrie

He is even doing it outside of the tank

his heat lamp is a ceramic set to 29 degrees Celsius and his UVB bulb brand is reptizoo. his tank has ventilation on both sides. he has had this setup since he was a baby and there have been no issues. i know he is definitely not gaping. his substrate is half sand and the other side is synthetic grass. there are no issues with the sand as he has had that his whole life as well but i put in the grass 2-3 months ago

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok issues will take time to arise as they will hide it --- so this is what I am going to recommend --- Ditch the sand --- it causes impaction and harbors bacteria--- he could be sick from the sand-- I would use paper towels or newspaper for now and get some non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank -- its way easier to clean than sand! So the heat lamp is not a bright white basking bulb but a CHE???? ceramic heat emitter? If that is is what your using you need to not use it --- its only good for nite time temps to keep tank warm around 70 degrees or so----- not basking --- he needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-105--------- 84 degrees (29) is not hot enough -- he is having issues digesting his food -- the UVB is a what? A reptizoo? What is that? Is it a tube or a coil? Where is it at in the tank or on top of screen ? Its possible he could have a RI going -- please post pic of him
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post -- what is the humidity in the tank?
Karrie

diegothebeardie05

Original Poster
KarrieRee":9g04nimq said:
Ok issues will take time to arise as they will hide it --- so this is what I am going to recommend --- Ditch the sand --- it causes impaction and harbors bacteria--- he could be sick from the sand-- I would use paper towels or newspaper for now and get some non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store cut it to the size of the tank -- its way easier to clean than sand! So the heat lamp is not a bright white basking bulb but a CHE???? ceramic heat emitter? If that is is what your using you need to not use it --- its only good for nite time temps to keep tank warm around 70 degrees or so----- not basking --- he needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-105--------- 84 degrees (29) is not hot enough -- he is having issues digesting his food -- the UVB is a what? A reptizoo? What is that? Is it a tube or a coil? Where is it at in the tank or on top of screen ? Its possible he could have a RI going -- please post pic of him
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post -- what is the humidity in the tank?
Karrie

With the temperatures do you mean Fahrenheit? if so his tank is that temperature, he hasn't had any issues with digesting his food which im happy about. The UVB is a coil and the brand is Reptizoo. im not sure what RI is but the UVB is in the tank. The CHE bulb is keeping his tank the right temperature so that might not be the issue but i will definitely consider investing in a bright white basking bulb, i was just worried it would affect his sleep with the brightness as my tank only hold 2 light (UVB and Heat lamp). Thanks for the idea of shelf lining, the sand never really affected him but shelf lining seems like a good idea :)
i will post a picture of him but i will have to do it later, thanks for the advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get rid of the coil!!!!!!!!! That in itself is causing alot of issues here is some info on the coil bulb
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
it takes a while for the coil to start doing damage --- basically the dragon has not been getting any UVB you need to replace it ASAP----------------- please post pics of him and get a bright white basking bulb--- what have his poops looked like??? Are they runny? They should look like this formed moist and dark -- urate should be formed moist and white ------- yes Farenheight--- RI is Respiratory Infection but we need to see pic of him please
Karrie

diegothebeardie05

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2klnr8v6 said:
Get rid of the coil!!!!!!!!! That in itself is causing alot of issues here is some info on the coil bulb
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
it takes a while for the coil to start doing damage --- basically the dragon has not been getting any UVB you need to replace it ASAP----------------- please post pics of him and get a bright white basking bulb--- what have his poops looked like??? Are they runny? They should look like this formed moist and dark -- urate should be formed moist and white ------- yes Farenheight--- RI is Respiratory Infection but we need to see pic of him please
Karrie

107501-2234622245.jpg
107501-3732054220.jpg
107501-6789493160.jpg
107501-556597189.jpg
107501-7890517879.jpg

This is him and his tank+ lights. super sorry if these are bad pics since my computer camera isn't the best. will his tank be big enough to put in UVB tubes? and would the lights be expensive? if so is there something i could use for him while i save up? he has also stopped opening his mouth and seems fine now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How high is the tank? What is on top of the tank? Screen or wood? The T5 can sit on top of the screen if there is screen if not it would need to be mounted inside and approx 12-15 inches from basking decor-- if it is warm where you are 70+ degrees take him outside for some direct sunlight for around 15 minutes or so or longer if you want but it is important that you get him out -- he is getting NO UVB w/ that coil also you can use a plastic tote to put him in to do that but NO glass it heats up to quick and gets too hot-------- here is website for a fixture w/ reflector www.pangeareptiles.com they have a fixture there for $32 for a 24" also get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 - cost around $60 w/ shipping I am thinking--- I would also suggest some better decor for him --- visit Petsmarts website and look at some of their decor for dragons they have some nice pieces there -- its nice to offer a heat gradient for basking and some pieces there you can do that with
Karrie

diegothebeardie05

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qu1opjx said:
How high is the tank? What is on top of the tank? Screen or wood? The T5 can sit on top of the screen if there is screen if not it would need to be mounted inside and approx 12-15 inches from basking decor-- if it is warm where you are 70+ degrees take him outside for some direct sunlight for around 15 minutes or so or longer if you want but it is important that you get him out -- he is getting NO UVB w/ that coil also you can use a plastic tote to put him in to do that but NO glass it heats up to quick and gets too hot-------- here is website for a fixture w/ reflector http://www.pangeareptiles.com they have a fixture there for $32 for a 24" also get a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 - cost around $60 w/ shipping I am thinking--- I would also suggest some better decor for him --- visit Petsmarts website and look at some of their decor for dragons they have some nice pieces there -- its nice to offer a heat gradient for basking and some pieces there you can do that with
Karrie
there is no screen on top of the tank. for the lights and decor i will have to wait to get them for a while as me and my family don't have much money at the moment. but i will definitely look at some, thanks for the advice :) btw diego is now better strangely and he is eating and running around and no longer opens his mouth.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I still advise to get rid of the coil and get a regular bright white basking bulb-- the coil will / is making your dragon sick
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Diego is a good looking boy, nice healthy weight and cool pattern on his back. :) It may be that since he just did it one day he might have had some food caught in his throat and he has swallowed it since then. It would be good to replace the lights as mentioned when you are able. If you live in a warm climate you can take him outside or even make a cage for him to be out in the sun.

diegothebeardie05

Original Poster
AHBD":1oqk98p2 said:
Diego is a good looking boy, nice healthy weight and cool pattern on his back. :) It may be that since he just did it one day he might have had some food caught in his throat and he has swallowed it since then. It would be good to replace the lights as mentioned when you are able. If you live in a warm climate you can take him outside or even make a cage for him to be out in the sun.
Thankyou :) that probably was the problem as he has stopped opening his mouth a while ago and has returned to being a happy, naughty lizard XD
I'm still trying to save up for lights for him but i have changed his substrate to shelf liner. is it ok for me to put a small pet blanket or a lizard friendly pillow i got from a website in his tank though? because i feel sorry for him when he tries to get comfy and sleep on the hard shelf liner

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really glad to hear that he's O.K ! And yes you can definitely put in a nice soft towel for him to dig + snuggle under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom