Claud's Crew! - New Girl In The House! - New Pics

Welcome to my journal for my crew! This will be the thread I post all my pictures and updates in regards to my crew! This is going to be like a journal of sorts. A tool I can use to look back on and see how I was doing things, and important events that have occurred for my crew! I really like being able to go back and look at things like that.

To start off with, since all my dragons had a thread previously, they will all get their own post under this to kind of catch up to where things are right now.

A bit about me (EDIT: Ok it's a lot about me now..)

I've had dragons for almost 20 years now. My first dragon was named Shredder. Information was so scarce back then, and I was so inexperienced, Shredder didn't last long under my care. He was housed on walnut shell, typical petstore setup (you think they are bad nowadays, think back 20 years ago) and I honestly don't remember much else about how i cared for him besides the fact that I had grown attached to him. After shredder died, I dedicated a good portion of my free time to learning about dragons. I knew I wanted another, but I didn't want him to suffer the same fate. I read, I learned, I talked to other owners that I would meet at petstores. I read every caresheet I could find online. I even talked breeders ears off when they'd let me. I got another dragon eventually, Hawk. And then another, Buttercup. Then I rescued Scorpio. And shortly after that, I saw a runt in a petstore that I bought, Rusty. For awhile, this was my crew. They all lived for 5 or 6 years. Their care wasn't perfect, but it was better and I was learning and growing as a dragon keeper.

One day the petstore owner and I were talking, and he wanted to give me his dragon. He didn't want to take care of her anymore. I had never taken in an adult dragon. I had always only had babies that I raised myself. I wouldn't have said yes if it wasn't for the fact that I wanted to stay in good with the petstore owner (this came into play massively a few years later)
So, now I have a 3 year old dragon, who I named Naughtica. Her name is based on Naussica, a character from a movie (she was the start to how I name all of the rest of my future dragons, after hayo Miyazaki film characters). Around the same time I got an adult Male, Spyro. I don't remember exactly how I got him, but I believe also from a friend I had met at the petstore. He was trying to produce white dragons (back then they were basically unheard of, and light grey hypos were the closest most people had gotten to that) and spyro was a light-grey hypo.

Naughtica and spyro were the only two dragons I had for a few years now. Around this time is when I also found this website, and my knowledge, care, and love for this hobby grew immensely. I loved being surrounded by people who understood. I loved being able to talk dragons all day long if I wanted. And I loved being able to help people. Obviously in the beginning, it was me being helped. But I soaked it all up like a sponge. I loved it.

Eventually I decided I wanted to breed. So, Naughtica and Spyro were put together for a week. And, it was successful. It was honestly a lot of fun, it was scary, but it was rewarding. Coming home that one day and seeing that a few hatched was one of the happiest moments of my life. I was so filled with joy and excitement.
But now a new learning curve. Caring for around 20 baby hatchlings. And it was a learning curve for sure. I was not at all prepared for how much they eat. I wasn't prepared to separate ones that started to get picked on. For that reason some lost parts of tails, some lost toes. One even completely lost a foot. But, i grew and I learned with later clutches.

Remember wanting to stay in good with the petshop owner? It came into play now. His shop was how I was able to sell my babies. It was either just my town, or the time, but he basically couldn't keep dragons in stock. Worked out great for me, and great for him. I had a solid consistent place to sell my babies to, and he had a reliable person to buy from.

I only did that for about two seasons before life changed and breeding as a hobby was no longer a viable thing to do. Spyro had died a year or two later. I really don't know how old he was.

But Naughtica was going strong. And a few more years passed and I had bought Kiki. I had always had a thing for red trans, and Kiki was the perfect girl to fit that bill. I had gotten over breeding and just wanted a dragon or two of the "higher end" morphs to enjoy. By this time I was very active on this site, and Naughtica and Kiki both had their own threads here (I will link to later). So did Calcifer, a uromastyx that I had bought from that same petshop I used to sell to. Naughtica was getting pretty old at this point. But, my care and knowledge had grown so much that I knew she was gonna be with me for the long haul, and that's what I was hoping out of kiki and calcifer. These three were my new crew. I was happy with everything I had.

Long story short, life got in the way again, and my crew had to be put under someone elses care. They were entrusted to my family. Unfortunately, that didn't work out well at all. And I feel awful. They were not taken care of properly. They eventually all passed. Naughtica was around 12 I believe. And I have no doubts she would have lived even longer if she were to have been under my care, I just wasn't able to.

It took me a long time to feel like I could get back into this hobby. One thing never left me, and that was my love for this hobby, and my love for these creatures, and my love for talking anyones ear off about them that will let me.

And here we are today.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Moro is all over her enclosure. That's awesome. And of course Tombo is being the king lizard he was destined to be :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Moro did her first poo on her sand. Quite a large one too I'm surprised. Glad to see her system is working at least lol.

My shipment of mealworms and supers came in today. I keep telling myself to stop ordering 1000 supers at a time, because it's such an ungodly amount to dump out of a bag and see just squirming around in their bin. Almost wish I would have bought more mealworms instead. I think I did 1000 supers and 500 mealworms. I would have done 1000 mealworms but I can't seem to keep them from all wanting to pupate and turn into beetles.

At one point I was fine with this as I wanted to try to breed mealworms. But they are so cheap, it's more work than it's worth IMO. Maybe I'll give it one last go. I have been successful, but it just doesn't seem worth my effort.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Claudiusx":1ei3s90q said:
Moro did her first poo on her sand. Quite a large one too I'm surprised. Glad to see her system is working at least lol.

My shipment of mealworms and supers came in today. I keep telling myself to stop ordering 1000 supers at a time, because it's such an ungodly amount to dump out of a bag and see just squirming around in their bin. Almost wish I would have bought more mealworms instead. I think I did 1000 supers and 500 mealworms. I would have done 1000 mealworms but I can't seem to keep them from all wanting to pupate and turn into beetles.

At one point I was fine with this as I wanted to try to breed mealworms. But they are so cheap, it's more work than it's worth IMO. Maybe I'll give it one last go. I have been successful, but it just doesn't seem worth my effort.

-Brandon
Glad to hear Moro is well. ?
Ya know, it's not like Supers have a limited shelf life. ?Like you told me, you have to TRY to kill them! Lol! ? I would have never ordered 500 just for 1 adult if they were delicate or didn't stay worms for long. Rather safe than sorry right now. ?
Was your order good? Nice size and active? I'm gonna need a larger container I think. The 1 I have is not quite as big as a shoe box but several inches taller. Might be ok with another inch of oats.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
The supers were extremely active. They always are though. Nice pump and healthy.
Mealies were a little less active than I've had before, but none dead. I don't think they were larges like I ordered. But oh well, not like I needed to feed them off instantly. I can let them grow up a bit. They are so cheap you can't really complain lol.

They are all eating away at their carrots right now. Everyone got BSFL for dinner except Tombo. He got some supers :)

Another thing I'm trying is wheat bran. rainbow sells it for 2 bucks a lb, so I bought 4 lbs of it. I didn't know how "far" it would go. They came in 1 lb bags. 1 bag was way more than enough for the mealies.
and 1 bag seemed about right for the supers. I might add a bit of oats just because the supers mass is quite large when compared to the container they are in. But we will see how I like the wheat bran over the oats.
I've used oats for over 15 years now. But I'm not one to get stuck in a rut of things just because it's what I've always done. I like to experiment every once in awhile. EG. Moro's sand :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Claudiusx":okf60eql said:
The supers were extremely active. They always are though. Nice pump and healthy.
Mealies were a little less active than I've had before, but none dead. I don't think they were larges like I ordered. But oh well, not like I needed to feed them off instantly. I can let them grow up a bit. They are so cheap you can't really complain lol.

They are all eating away at their carrots right now. Everyone got BSFL for dinner except Tombo. He got some supers :)

Another thing I'm trying is wheat bran. rainbow sells it for 2 bucks a lb, so I bought 4 lbs of it. I didn't know how "far" it would go. They came in 1 lb bags. 1 bag was way more than enough for the mealies.
and 1 bag seemed about right for the supers. I might add a bit of oats just because the supers mass is quite large when compared to the container they are in. But we will see how I like the wheat bran over the oats.
I've used oats for over 15 years now. But I'm not one to get stuck in a rut of things just because it's what I've always done. I like to experiment every once in awhile. EG. Moro's sand :)

-Brandon
The supers I got at the store came in the bran, I added half to the oats and then when I had to replace it all, mixed the other half with oats. Wonder if Pet Co has any? With the price of shipping I didn't want to add anything else to the order. Even though the price was much better than the store or amazon, it was a bite I really couldn't afford. I have some 100% organic whole wheat flour, prob wouldn't hurt to add a couple teaspoons to the oats. Also read somewhere about pulsing the oats a bit in a blender to break them up some, easier for tiny worm mouth but they don't seem to have any problem eating. ? mine have been getting fat with no deaths since the original order in Dec. Lost a few to cold weather and or long shipping, took like 8-9 days!
Feeling a little relieved that your supers came in well since I ordered from the same co. ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I've ordered from rainbow quite a few times and always been happy. They are a relatively new company to me, I've always used mulberryfarms. I have order history going back to the late 2000's with them LOL. But for what I mainly buy now, which is supers, mealies, and BSFL, rainbow is usually better. And of course symton for BSFL.

I think you'll be happy with your order. Karries was unfortunate. The first I've heard of rainbow not delivering well. But it was silks, and they are notoriously delicate bugs.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Claudiusx":1ovsfxjv said:
I've ordered from rainbow quite a few times and always been happy. They are a relatively new company to me, I've always used mulberryfarms. I have order history going back to the late 2000's with them LOL. But for what I mainly buy now, which is supers, mealies, and BSFL, rainbow is usually better. And of course symton for BSFL.

I think you'll be happy with your order. Karries was unfortunate. The first I've heard of rainbow not delivering well. But it was silks, and they are notoriously delicate bugs.

-Brandon
Thanks hon. I do feel like the co dropped the ball on Karrie. Word of mouth can ruin your business. But hopefully it's all good, would like to have a dependable source with good prices. ?
I had already clicked the order button! Lol! ?
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
13 days since new pics of anyone. Tsk tsk....

Lol, hope you don't mind the scolding :)

April

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I don't believe you! And I won't go back and check to make sure you're right! LOL

Geeze time has been flying apparently, and it seems the opposite.

I'll try to get some pics up today. But I suppose no news was good news lol!

Moro has been doing well, she's looking a bit fat actually. Been cimbing her big branch which is nice to see!

Kiki shed and is about to again.
Tombo looks like hes filling out again.
Suki is starting a full body shed. She looks to be hitting a growth spurt.
Mei has been kinda lazy and just lying around. Although her tank is very bare bones. I would do well to enrich it for her a bit.

Pics later today hopefully once I'm done working on the garden boxes I'm building! :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Claudiusx":1zbyytmi said:
I don't believe you! And I won't go back and check to make sure you're right! LOL

Geeze time has been flying apparently, and it seems the opposite.

I'll try to get some pics up today. But I suppose no news was good news lol!

Moro has been doing well, she's looking a bit fat actually. Been cimbing her big branch which is nice to see!

Kiki shed and is about to again.
Tombo looks like hes filling out again.
Suki is starting a full body shed. She looks to be hitting a growth spurt.
Mei has been kinda lazy and just lying around. Although her tank is very bare bones. I would do well to enrich it for her a bit.

Pics later today hopefully once I'm done working on the garden boxes I'm building! :)

-Brandon
I was thinking of doing some bearded dragon cage projects while we’re all stuck at home too. I have a bunch of leftover cork so I was thinking of making them a mountain in the corners of their enclosures and a hide on the other side.

Have you seen kids and dragons new dragons up for sale recently? Some super nice ones. I totally understand why you have so many now lol.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I might do that. Currently I'm still working. But if I end up stopping, I'm definitely going to have to figure something out. I'm getting bored just on my 2 days off LOL.

Yeah, I follow a few breeders sale lists just to stay current on what projects are being worked on, and prices.
A few I follow quite regularly are kidsanddragons, phantom dragons, KPS, Fairytail dragons, dragintails, and Dachiu.
It at least gives me fun pictures to look at lol.

Just 1 picture today. Saw Kiki lying in a super weird position. Can't say I've ever seen it before with any of my dragons.

31715-649269233.jpg
Maybe it's the poo on her spot, and her being the dainty lady she is and all, is disgusted by it, and trying to keep her hand away. LOL.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Probably the poop in her spot lol. My husband took some time off because Louisiana is pretty bad and my kids and I were alll recovering from various illnesses already.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Claudiusx":3oowgbqr said:
I might do that. Currently I'm still working. But if I end up stopping, I'm definitely going to have to figure something out. I'm getting bored just on my 2 days off LOL.

Yeah, I follow a few breeders sale lists just to stay current on what projects are being worked on, and prices.
A few I follow quite regularly are kidsanddragons, phantom dragons, KPS, Fairytail dragons, dragintails, and Dachiu.
It at least gives me fun pictures to look at lol.

Just 1 picture today. Saw Kiki lying in a super weird position. Can't say I've ever seen it before with any of my dragons.

31715-649269233.jpg
Maybe it's the poo on her spot, and her being the dainty lady she is and all, is disgusted by it, and trying to keep her hand away. LOL.

-Brandon
Oh that's hysterical!! Looks to me like she is expecting you to make it disappear. NOW!! ? You do NOT expect me to get up there with THAT?!?! ?
Love it!❤ She's pretty. ? Neat colors.
Maybe after you finish your garden boxes, we get some new pics of the others? ?
-Dee

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Feels like I haven't been on in decades. Guess I've just been distracted with all that's happening in the world. Glad to see that the crew is doing well! Hope your fam is doing well and you're all staying safe. Crazy times happening all around us.

Vanessa

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom