A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats kind of what happened with Suki too. She was really white/beige in her stripes and as she's matured they have turned a really kinda muddled down red/yellow.

Part of the joys of raising them, seeing how they grow :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wilbur finally is letting me hold him without scrambling. He looked out the window for a bit while I got some pictures. He finally finished shedding today. He looks more orange than before, and he's so chonky!
90249265_10104463674363070_3903797621893890048_n.jpg

90557089_10104463674393010_7175570714324369408_n.jpg

90815016_10104463674432930_7885539215058927616_n.jpg

Crazy how different his colors can look in different lighting. In some light he takes on a maroon tint, and in others he's a blazing orange/red. I think they're about 4.5 months old now? I believe in the beginning of April they'll be a full 5 months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He is definitely a red tone -- and when absorbing heat they go darker -- Blaze is a wiblet / red translucent and his coloring changes daily as well ---
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":zf9o61ub said:
He is definitely a red tone -- and when absorbing heat they go darker -- Blaze is a wiblet / red translucent and his coloring changes daily as well ---
Karrie
With CandyCane the color changing is much more noticeable. Idk if it's because she's translucent or the witblit but she can change from minute to minute. Wilbur it is much harder to notice. His beard is turning yellow too now. They're very interesting to watch even while they're in their enclosure. Hopping from branch to hammock, etc.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2n6ffr61 said:
They say if their beards are a bright color they are happy!
Karrie

That's fantastic! I was so worried that nothing was going to be right but I'm so glad I found this forum. Everything seems to be working great.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CandyCane seems to be letting me know when she will tolerate handling (I am assuming lol). She comes up to the glass and watches, and I’ll open the glass and she will just stay there for pets and hand feedings. It’s either that or she has pooped and wants it cleaned lol.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1us2i9l2 said:
Wow Candycane almost looks like a different dragon!

-Brandon

She really does! Her head is really triangular now. I guess she’s lost all that baby roundness finally. She’s prob 16/17 inches long based on how she lays out on the tiles. She’s in shed too at the moment. What’s crazy is when she’s in shed she takes on a pink/maybe color. I’ll have to get a better picture of it.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
She's adorable! It does look like she has a pink tint but I figured it was just the lighting.
So glad your babies are doing well. ?
-Dee

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
That’s great she is so communicative! 16/17 inches at 5 months seems so crazy... Intellectually I know that’s going to happen with Mario, but seeing it from you first hand has been a trip!!

How have the kids been doing with them now they have extra time?

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
MariosDad":1qfc5qrc said:
That’s great she is so communicative! 16/17 inches at 5 months seems so crazy... Intellectually I know that’s going to happen with Mario, but seeing it from you first hand has been a trip!!

How have the kids been doing with them now they have extra time?

They've been great. I plan on getting them some kind of holding blanket for them for Easter so they can watch movies and hold them. Or hold them while I clean the enclosures and such.

91108299_10104495729369580_7984236382405001216_n.jpg

91802633_10104495729539240_2475161851361492992_n.jpg

91179372_10104495729639040_7998578888819081216_n.jpg

Wilbur always makes his way around the bowl, going slowly like a predator and peeking over the top, going back down and around a bit more, then choosing a spot to eat from for a few minutes before repeating the process lol.

91493305_10104495729424470_5263854047588253696_n.jpg

91439398_10104495729509300_9095500509581672448_n.jpg

I love how orange her legs are. I'm curious to see how orange her back will be after this shed.

MariosDad

Hatchling Member
:lol: Wilbur cracks me up with the way he's hanging off that branch to eat!

I'm sure the kids will love watching movies with them. We had Mario in a tub with his murder pit and half log hide during Lord of the Rings for a bit last weekend. He seemed confused but also highly entertained by the TV!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom